Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I really really hope this will stick. He needs to be charged and locked up.

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1011164506523947008

[tweet]1011164506523947008[/tweet]

[tweet]1011223799830851584[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/abarden/status/1011223799830851584

Anyone on Twitter read Carole Cadwalladr who writes for the Observer and Guardian, who had does loads of investigative journalism on the whole sorry mess.

Loads of hedge funds will have made a mountain of cash at the time. About an equal number will have lost a mountain of cash. They’re gamblers........anyone punting based on poll results is taking a massive risk anyway

Would have been exactly the same had the result gone the other way.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Serious question the the vocal leavers. Now that Siemens, airbus and BMW have gone public about investment going if no deal or no customs union (in any form), how many more need to join them before you think that no deal might be a bad idea?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The upcoming white paper will lay out our position on the “future relationship” section of negotiations.

That'll be the one that's been expected for the last couple of months and keeps getting delayed. The one that outlines the border and trade position that we're due to present to the EU in 4 days time on Friday then. That 'upcoming' one :lolol:

Last edited:

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Serious question the the vocal leavers. Now that Siemens, airbus and BMW have gone public about investment going if no deal or no customs union (in any form), how many more need to join them before you think that no deal might be a bad idea?

They don't care how many

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Er, f*ck business?!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Loads of hedge funds will have made a mountain of cash at the time. About an equal number will have lost a mountain of cash. They’re gamblers........anyone punting based on poll results is taking a massive risk anyway

The inference is that he leaked numbers. I realise that gamblers bet on polls.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Yes, I'm not sure what the story is here. Hedge funds thrive on data and anything that gives them a heads-up is going to be fair game. It's interesting that Bloomberg went live with this story this morning but not a single other news source has followed it up - scarcely major news.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yes, I'm not sure what the story is here. Hedge funds thrive on data and anything that gives them a heads-up is going to be fair game. It's interesting that Bloomberg went live with this story this morning but not a single other news source has followed it up - scarcely major news.

I think the point is that Farage had access to this data, he knew what his favoured pollsters were reporting yet he (famously) conceded defeat as the polls were closing. £ continued to rise meaning the gain from their short sell did likewise. It may not be major news to some but Farage was the figured of the Leave groups, he masqueraded as the man of the people, one of us yet even in his finest hour he was on the make.

I suspect that those in the know regarding FX trades will sneer and brush it off but for the many who do not, it would be a different story.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I remember the good old days when leavers could pretend German car makers would insist on a deal. Turns out different.

I see BMW have been talking again. Now saying that any border delay means that they move all production from the UK. I seem to remember our manufacturing expert on this thread say that German car manufacturers would make merkel make a deal. Not sure that is right is it?

Nissan have also said this to MPs and it has been reported that a five min delay a day on their just in time production line would make the Sunderland plant unprofitable. Can that be true?

https://www.ft.com/content/b6a382f2-...7-1e1a0846c475

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Think there's a major delusional-inspired denial going on, I'm afraid. There's a certain flat-earther (mixed with a liberal doss of conspiracy theory) aspect to some of our Brexiteer chums: any such news is all part of an Establishment plot to subvert the democratic will of the people etc.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
But, but we have to take back control of our borders. What? You mean we have borders and customs?

Yes we do have customs and yes we do have borders, no one has ever said we don’t. :ffsparr:

The thing is, and this is what you continually cant grasp, our borders operate differently for EU nationals and non EU nationals. Its an astonishing failure on your part not knowing we are unable to make our borders operate the same for both sets.
You continue to bleat that the borders can and always have been able to be controlled for EU nationals and that we just don’t bother, yet unsurprisingly you refuse to share the mechanism that would allow us to control the borders the same as non EU nationals. This is the sort of verbal diarrhoea lie your sub class of remoaner is constantly continuing to push(as you are) as they are a little bit too dim to find out if its true or not.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

A withdrawal deal will be forthcoming but if hypothetically the deal specifics proposed by the EU were worse than a no deal, why is your default position in that scenario to accept the worst offer. Is this really how you enter negotiations in your life.
Surely most normal sensible people keep all their options open when negotiating.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ah more mis-information !!!

So your argument is that each individual country in the UK should have voted 60/40 to leave for it to be valid. Using that test we would have left the EEC in 1975 !

View attachment 98030

69 / 31 that's was a mandate

48 / 52 is a little Englanders Brexit and a recipe to end the UK and divide the country forever

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Think there's a major delusional-inspired denial going on, I'm afraid. There's a certain flat-earther (mixed with a liberal doss of conspiracy theory) aspect to some of our Brexiteer chums: any such news is all part of an Establishment plot to subvert the democratic will of the people etc.

Do you seriously believe that most of the MPs in Westminster, certainly all the Lib Dems, Greens and SNP, plus most of the PLP and half the Tories - not to mention the House of Lords aren't totally anti-Brexit, and that all the political shenanigans is aimed at hindering, hampering and delaying Brexit, in the hope it will ultimately not happen? If you seriously believe that, then I really worry about your powers of observation and deduction.

And as for your suggestion that the idea of the Westminster establishment trying to avoid actually leaving is a conspiracy theory, that's absolutely bonkers. The flat earthers look intelligent by comparison.
:facepalm:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
That'll be the one that's been expected for the last couple of months and keeps getting delayed. The one that outlines the border and trade position that we're due to present to the EU in 4 days time on Friday then. That 'upcoming' one :lolol:

Yes thats the one, the one you are saying that all sides know everything about already because the talks are a narrative not a negotiation.
.......when is its contents going to be shared considering they are widely known?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Trying to cherry pick like some other people we know

67 / 33 with 4 out of 4, that's was a mandate

48 / 52 with 2 out of 4 is not is a little Englanders Brexit and a recipe to end the UK and divide the country forever but do carry on

You're being very selective with the rules you are making up. So at country level it only has to be a simple majority to be credible but at national level it needs to be a 60/40 majority ? :facepalm:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You may say that, You may very well say that. However I can recall a series of articles/reports prior to the 2005 General Election in Her Majesty's Daily Torygraph. (aka The Daily Telegraph) As you may recall immigration was a principle feature of the 2005 General Election and Michael 'Something of the night' Howard etc. These articles/reports were done by Lord Snooty himself (aka former editor of The Daily Telegraph Charles Moore) In his reports Mr Moore reported from the front-line of multi cultural hell holes that had been subjugated to the political correctness gone completely mad that is mass uncontrolled immigration across the country that was obviously all part of secret plot between The EU and Tony Blair, particularly Muslim immigration from the former British Empire that may have occurred under Eden, Macmillan, Heath and Thatcher etc - you get the picture.

Anyway, one of Mr Moore's reports was from a place that, frankly, is about as bad as it gets. The sort of place that had a Home Office accredited refugee centre that closes, only for the EU A8 succession to happen straight afterwards. The sort of place where an unarmed gangster gets shot dead by the police in his bed at 5am. The sort of place that has a pub that the police have to attend twice on the evening of Friday 23rd December 2005 in lieu of 2 separate, unconnected stabbings on the same night in the same premises. A place that by various indicators such as property ownership and car ownership, or lack of it, is officially 'deprived'. The sort of place that has festival with various ethnic communities attending in an attempt to 'celebrate' this mad diversity. The sort of place that has Scots in doorways drinking cans of Kestrel. I'm talking the mean, badlands that are South Central St.Leonard's.

In his report, Mr Moore risked life and limb walking from Warrior Square seafront, along the eastern side of Normans Road (Little Baghdad) up London Road and saw for himself the political correctness gone mad. He spoke to locals (There's too many immigrants, There's too many Polski Skleps etc) Fortunately for Mr Moore he didn't walk up the western half of Norman's Road (Little Portobello Road) and reach Mercatoria and the utter insanity of the Tyre place, The Horse and Groom Pub and East Sussex Islamic Association aka Hastings Mosque all cohabiting next to each other. (I used to be a regular - at the pub, not the Mosque, though Mr Abu from The Tandoori Ghor on the seafront is a bigwig in there, so it's obviously really nice.)

Between 2004-2009 I lived a stones throw away from this political correctness gone mad, deprived hell hole that is South Central St. Leonard's. But, despite - living with my Czech ex-girlfriend in this hell between 2005-2008, despite all the Polski Skleps, Muslim men in the street talking Muslim, Afro Barbers, stolen goods being sold in the car park behind the Old England pub, being served alcohol whilst intoxicated at Spar on Kings Road as the brown staff talk to each other in foreign, the children's play parks in Gensing Gardens, and by Warrior Square station being full of Roma gypsy families all day, Hungarian number plated cars lining Pevensey Road, some Ukraninan bloke who entered the UK on a false Estonian passport running a marriage scam business of getting eastern Europeans from Hastings to marry Africans who's visas had expired living 2 streets away from me and the utter, utter insanity of standing at Warrior Square station in the morning getting the train north to work and having to look at the other platform and the Eastern Europeans waiting for the Ashford International train to take them to Ham Street and Appledore, where they'll alight to plow and mow and reap and sow the farms of the Garden of England, and having Polish mothers at my GP's waiting room - I survived.

Along with the fact that all my family are from the East Midlands living in even bigger multi-cultural, political correctness gone mad hell-holes like Leicester and Derby and somehow coping with it too, even when I've been there, you're right - what the hell do I know about immigration living in Sussex. :rolleyes:

(Incidentally I secretly fancied the Russian woman from Vladivostok who ran Bar Blue on St.Leonard's seafront back then. Not the Russian woman from Brighton who took it over afterwards though - she was weird.)

Your convuleted but entertaining points do show the poorer areas are often effected the most re large scale immigration even in a generally affluent county like Sussex. Although you seem to be fine with it I note Hastings voted leave by a large majority, and East Midlands voted leave by an even bigger majority. Two thirds of areas around the country that have seen the most significant rises in foreign born migrants also voted leave.

(In your defence the amount of european girls you have referenced 'encountering' from first love to recently ... over numerous threads I can completely understand why you are such a staunch remainer.:D)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here