Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
When the head negotiator of EU makes a post on social media like Tusk did today, you know you have no chance of getting anywhere with this bunch of idiots.

Even if you think Tusks post has been mis-interpreted, the point is it shouldn't have been made, and if this is the head negotiator of 27 countries, and that's the way he acts, we may as well walk away now and go full steam ahead for exiting without a deal.

You do have to wonder we he posted this, its almost Trumpesque, although I would say he is far more politically astute than Trumpy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No deal won't get through Parliament.

i dont believe any vote is required for a no deal scenario, it is the current default position.

i have been amazed at how the week twisted and turned, before the summit it was pleasantries, talk of softening; during the summit it was about no negotiations allowed; after its about how terrible everything is.
did anything actually happen? oh well seems we are careering towards either all out or stay in as no one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i dont believe any vote is required for a no deal scenario, it is the current default position.

That's not quite right. According to the Beeb. "If Theresa May announces before 21 January 2019 that no deal has been reached or
Iif 21 January passes with no deal being struck.
Under these circumstances, the government has said, a minister will make a statement in Parliament, setting out the proposed next steps.

MPs will then vote on this statement. According to the government, this vote should be "on neutral terms", with MPs simply noting what has been said.

But an amendment backed by the House of Lords on Monday went further, saying MPs should have to "approve" the minister's statement.

The Department for Exiting the European Union has now conceded that it will be up to Commons Speaker John Bercow to decide the matter at the time.

Depending what Bercow says, there's the possibilty that if May says it's 'no deal' Labour could make it a confidence issue. I wonder if the hardline Remainers in the Tory party (Clarke, Soubry, Grieve etc) would support a no deal exit. It could be a real turning point

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
No deal won't get through Parliament.

Doesn't have to does it!!!!!!!?

If Parliament doesn't vote through a deal, we leave with no deal.

We have got that one covered!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

i have been amazed at how the week twisted and turned, before the summit it was pleasantries, talk of softening; during the summit it was about no negotiations allowed; after its about how terrible everything is.
did anything actually happen? oh well seems we are careering towards either all out or stay in as no one.

I agree that it’s looking very much like it’s either no deal or stay-as-you-are....at least for the short term immediately after the deadline. It’s difficult to see how this will play out though. I find it hard to believe parliament will allow the country to leave without any deal. Either way, no planning is in place for a deal or a no-deal.....beyond some bizarre government missives about stocking up on tinned beans and medicines. Zero planning is a dereliction of duty. And at what point do Parliament, or us, declare no confidence? Does anyone, Parliament or otherwise, have any confidence whatsoever in this chaotic, weak and divided Tory party to run a bath let alone negotiate the most important deal in our lives or plan for the rough ride of no-deal? This government is at best ****ing useless, at worse dangerous, and we need the immediate opportunity to vote on them.

We need an election, and/or a people’s vote..... or take to the streets and start smashing things up? What’s it to be?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Don't we have this vote in January which Parliament should throw out No Deal? Not binding but what PM is going to trash the country against the wishes of Parliament?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
What ever the ins and outs, we will leave with no deal.

There is no way that the UK will now remain a member of the EU.

From the beginning I felt and still do, we are never going to make a deal with the EU. It is not in the interests of the EU to make a deal.

Do you really think the unelected idiots in charge of the EU want in the case of the UK leaving, anything other complete and utter mayhem in the UK to deter others from leaving.

WHEN we leave the EU is on a knife edge. Others will follow, and it will implode.

Part of me wants a second Referemdem to shut the small percentage of whiners up. I believe like if Scotland had a second one, the leave side would lose heavily, just based on democracy. Many people who voted leave before, will vote remain vote remain out of principal. But its not going to happen. Nor IMO will any leave deal be voted through parliament. IMO this country will leave the EU and move to WTO rules. I just wish people would actually face up to that, and pull together and make this country stronger, rather than playing some silly game, just so they have a chance of being smug and saying I told you so.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
If only the EU had done the same for our citizens eh!
They don't care about anything bar the money they receive and the power they have accumulated over the decades is really frightening and worrying.The sooner it's abolished the better Europe will become....Scrap the middle man and deal with each other once again as every European country has its own identity and culture and that's eroding year by year.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

From the beginning I felt and still do, we are never going to make a deal with the EU. It is not in the interests of the EU to make a deal.

Do you really think the unelected idiots in charge of the EU want in the case of the UK leaving, anything other complete and utter mayhem in the UK to deter others from leaving.

WHEN we leave the EU is on a knife edge. Others will follow, and it will implode.

Part of me wants a second Referemdem to shut the small percentage of whiners up. I believe like if Scotland had a second one, the leave side would lose heavily, just based on democracy. Many people who voted leave before, will vote remain vote remain out of principal. But its not going to happen. Nor IMO will any leave deal be voted through parliament. IMO this country will leave the EU and move to WTO rules. I just wish people would actually face up to that, and pull together and make this country stronger, rather than playing some silly game, just so they have a chance of being smug and saying I told you so.
Spot on...
The big issue is people accepting the vote and focusing on a bright new future away from this controlled organisation the EU.I find it irritating when we discuss important things like the Irish border and they even seem to control that as you can never please them no matter what you offer.
They will always look to milk everything than can from us and paying to leave is just bloody ridiculous considering the amount we pay and contribute to their hideous project.
It maybe the biggest trading block but it won't be for much longer !!
If we European countries could abolish this lot from Brussels and elect our own people that respect countries borders,identities and sovereignties etc then I'd happily stay,but they are anti British obviously !! we don't get a say in anything as it's all about Germany,France and Brussels end of.The 2nd biggest contributor that never gets a say !!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If only the EU had done the same for our citizens eh!

If only we've voted remain you wouldn't have to worry about UK citizens in The EU. Or we could have stayed in The EEA.

In the continued absence of a UK/EU agreement, it's up to member states on how they deal with citizens from a 3rd party country.

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Spot on...
The big issue is people accepting the vote and focusing on a bright new future away from this controlled organisation the EU.I find it irritating when we discuss important things like the Irish border and they even seem to control that as you can never please them no matter what you offer.
They will always look to milk everything than can from us and paying to leave is just bloody ridiculous considering the amount we pay and contribute to their hideous project.
It maybe the biggest trading block but it won't be for much longer !!
If we European countries could abolish this lot from Brussels and elect our own people that respect countries borders,identities and sovereignties etc then I'd happily stay,but they are anti British obviously !! we don't get a say in anything as it's all about Germany,France and Brussels end of.The 2nd biggest contributor that never gets a say !!

Exactly.

I think today with Tusks IG post, shows the true colours of the EU and their attitude towards us. They never had and never will have the intention of making a deal with us. It's all a game to them. They know with us inside the EU, the EU continues indefinitely.

With us outside the EU and doing terribly and fighting amongst ourselves, they have a slim chance of keeping their gravy train on the tracks.

With us outside the EU and thriving and all pulling in the same direction and being proud of our country, they know the EU is finished, as others will see the grass is greener and want out as well.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
A little off line on this but after the 2017 G/E the state of play was like this C315 L257 SNP35 LD12 DUP 10 S/F7 (who don't take their seats) PC4 G1 Spkr1 and now 8 Independent. With Brexit looming and instead of trying to run a minority government was giving Corbyn a go knowing that he never had the numbers to hold any form of pact together for long ever a workable option ?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
If only we've voted remain you wouldn't have to worry about UK citizens in The EU. Or we could have stayed in The EEA.

In the continued absence of a UK/EU agreement, it's up to member states on how they deal with citizens from a 3rd party country.

But we didn't vote to remain, we voted to leave, so we have face up to it to deal with the situation now, rather than keep complaining we don't want to leave and having a big issue further down the line. |

I know if I was in a position to worried, I would have applied for citizenship of another EU country a long time ago, rather than sat around moaning that I don't want to leave!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
But we didn't vote to remain, we voted to leave, so we have face up to it to deal with the situation now, rather than keep complaining we don't want to leave and having a big issue further down the line. |

I know if I was in a position to worried, I would have applied for citizenship of another EU country a long time ago, rather than sat around moaning that I don't want to leave!

The simple issue is that the ball is in our court; the EU is simply able to respond. I'm sorry to sound divisive when you are rooting for national unity (which is admirable in its own way) but the referendum was won by the side that was using terms like the easiest deal in history, they need us more than we need them and that the German car makers would never allow this to happen. So we could all stand on the edge of the White Cliffs, sing Jerusalem in perfect harmony and wear union jack T-shirts but it won't stop the £ sinking, a loss of overseas direct investment in our firm and the crumbling of our manufacturing base.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

WTO rules is definitely the way to go.

Do you think we should start negotiations with the WTO to get a set of rules and tariffs we could use for Britain? (Obviously you know the ones we currently use are the EU schedules and we won't be able to use those after we leave)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Don't we have this vote in January which Parliament should throw out No Deal? Not binding but what PM is going to trash the country against the wishes of Parliament?

The mood music and further reality around no deal needs to play out for this as well. Every police force in the country is now making serious contingencies for no deal for example. People will not just accept disruption to their lives due to no deal for long. There's an awful lot of underlying grievances after the last 8 years in this country unconnected to the referendum result simmering that will come to the boil in my opinion. This notion of rolling up our sleeves, making the best of it, coming together as a nation like it's 1940 and The Dunkirk spirit- that 'aint going to happen.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I stand corrected.

But we didn't vote to remain, we voted to leave, so we have face up to it to deal with the situation now, rather than keep complaining we don't want to leave and having a big issue further down the line.

we voted to leave the EU, but no such vote on the EEA... gives a neat escape route, if the politicans can see it rather then auto-dismiss further painting themselves into corners. the whole lot of them, home and abroad have failed in this so far so who knows.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here