Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone on here, who actually knows what they re talking about (I don’t claim to btw) know how badly affected Europe will be if we threatened a no deal Brexit? I know it wouldn’t be great for us but how would it be for Europe? Basically is it something we could play poker on, following yesterday’s vote, with Europe for them to be more compliant than they have been so far?

I voted stay but am very anti another vote for, what to me, are very obvious reasons.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I voted yes, but I hope to be proven wrong.

A lot of talk about people changing their minds, but also worth remembering that:

a) there would likely be an even higher turnout - many took a "remain" win for granted before; and
b) three years have passed, so three years of new voters will be involved.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The biggest lies came from the remain side with project fear.

Leave campaign had all their arguments grilled over in the media and we still voted LEAVE.

It seems to me that this is one subject that people feel in their hearts as being the right thing. Very few people have changed their minds. Most remain voters have accepted the result of the 1st referendum.

A second referendum wouldn't be democratic because people would not turn out to vote in protest at being ignored.

I have voted consistently in every election, my mother was keen to get across how important it was to exercise my democratic right, after all women had died so I could put my X in the box.

A second referendum would be my first abstention...

I have to pull you up on your declarative statements here. Your statement on 'biggest lies' lacks any foundation in facts:

Partly because you cannot know whether it is lies or not till we leave. Remainers have predicted what will happen. This may be correct or not. You cannot say their predictions are lies.

You are also making a false statement because the leave promises are proven lies:

The eyewatering amounts of money we will get for the NHS

The end to 'out of EU' migration (which we already control 100%)

Turkey joining the EU in the next few years, soon to be followed by Iraq and Iran (I have the leafelets for 'official leave' still and posted png pix on NSC at the time).

And the fact that Brexit has not been possible to enact, despite the best efforts of Mrs May, and Boris and Davies who flounced rather then seal a deal.

I am a bif fan of logic and reason.....so how can a second referendum be not democratic because people would not turn out to vote? There is an argument that a second vote may not be democratic but this isn't the reason. It is a possible consequence. As a matter of interest, you do realise that 'leave' was carried by fewer han 50% of the electorate don't you? This is because (and you may have to brace yourself here) not everyone turned out to vote. With respect to the generation of a position based on whimsy versus reason and logic, I refer you to chocolate tea pots and rubber bicycles.

I am thinking about starting a poll on whether we should not require an examination before people are allowed to vote. If the nation were to have a referendum on this, and the nation votes 'yes', we could then democratically exclude a number of people from the electoral register. Would you accept the outcome of such a referendum, I wonder?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I want to remain, but I think we will eventually leave.

Currently trying to pull the trigger without a target though, which is just absolutely insane.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm a right thicko so I'm happy to be shot down but isn't a key benefit of democracy to have your say/opinion but also to then have a chance to change it at a later point?

I.e, we vote in a new government. 4 years later or whatever we can change it if we are not happy with what we've seen.

Is Brexit different? We voted that we advised the government we'd like to leave. Why would it be so bad to assess (vote) a few years later on whether we are happy with what leaving would now be....now that we have some actual evidence. Surely it would be idiotic to be stuck with something which isn't as hoped. Again, you get a chance to change your government if you don't like it.

Happy to say I voted remain but I am in no way a 'remainer'. If leaving is best for us then go ahead.

So maybe we should get a vote on EU membership alongside each general election ? Just to ensure being in or out always matches the current mood.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We will leave.

TM will talk to the other parties, take all of the brilliant ideas back to the EU who will laugh and say no. Parliament and the media will continue into overdrive panic mode. No deal preperations will continue. At the beginning of March, Germany will force the rest of the EU to offer an acceptable deal with which we leave.

As far as I can see, last night bounced the ball back into the EU's court. Parliament can come up with whatever ideas it likes but if the EU do not play ball, it will be a waste of time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I voted yes, but I hope to be proven wrong.

A lot of talk about people changing their minds, but also worth remembering that:

a) there would likely be an even higher turnout - many took a "remain" win for granted before; and
b) three years have passed, so three years of new voters will be involved.

And 3 years of deaths culling the herd of elderly leave voters.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So maybe we should get a vote on EU membership alongside each general election ? Just to ensure being in or out always matches the current mood.

Yep, I think you've hit the nail on the head why we should never have had the first referendum and why it wouldn't exactly be a bad thing to ignore it. Something as momentous and far reaching as this as this should not be decided on the 'current mood' of the electorate

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
30 mins ago she was hanging around the foyer like a bad smell, giving interviews with Sky and BBC1, I thought it was Jimmy Krankie at first?

1) You’re still wrong
2) The Krankie gag was first done years ago.

Next.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
She's not in our Parliament. But she is a party leader of MPs who are. Not sure what your issue is, perhaps you're for getting rid of the UK as well as leaving the EU?

She's just down here to stir the shite, I think she should get her own house in order first. #Salmond

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know it’s hard for you to hear but you are applying emotion and frustration to a simple lawful matter. Referendums are not binding. A politician saying they will stick to the result does not change the law.
It was and remains thoroughly undemocratic to change the law surrounding referendums just to suit an agenda or placate a sector of society.
The law says we don’t have to abide by the result. The EU says we don’t have to abide by the result. It’s only careerist politicians and stubborn Brexiteers who want to overturn democracy and make a referendum result binding.

Take away your emotion over the topic, your dislike of me and other remainers and really your argument falls to pieces. In fact it fell to pieces 2.5 years ago.

Errrr ..... you're not actually factually correct. The terms of a referendum are defined in the legislation for THAT referendum - so they can either be binding or advisory. The legislation for the 2016 one said advisory ...... it could have said binding but didn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here