Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So you think I am wrong. Fairy Muff. ('Emergency measures' was JCFG's term for keeping things exactly as present so he didn't have to admit it meant staying in the EU)

So what will happen with the first lorry off a ferry at Dover on 30th March ?

Very simply, how will we decide where it's from, what it's cargo is and whether we should charge a tariff or not, or indeed, whether we should even let it in ? Who will decide that, and once they've decided, how do we make the relevant charges and record our results, pen and paper ?

(Not forgetting that Russia has already stopped all our negotiations within WTO last month)

I've no idea what will happen when a lorry turns up at Dover on the 30th March ..... equally neither do you. BUT that doesn't negate the point that we could fall into no deal by default.

I'll repeat my question ( you're so good at asking them but rarely answer any posed to you ! ) : What are these 'emergency measures' you speak of ? How are they going to be passed by Parliament in 109 days ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Revoking A50 would require an act of parliament.

I'm not sure that is entirely true. Our constitution gives power to the executive, i.e. PM, to make or unmake treaties. Not that it would happen of course, but constitutionally at least it is possible for the PM to revoke it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think it’s been reported as little as 2000. :laugh:

This is the level of intelligence of the 2000 that went. Could somebody please enlighten me as to what is 'our English constitution'?
Actually, don't bother, because we don't have a constitution, let alone an English one.

[tweet]1071764973188251648[/tweet]

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seriously, what else could she have done? It doesn’t matter who the PM is, the scenario is the same and has been for weeks. We either leave with no deal to honour the referendum result or we vote again in the hope we get the result that provides the easy way out.

Held the vote and suffered the huge defeat rather than running away for another day

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
[tweet]1072099524674547712[/tweet]

Pound down, economy struggling. Tories are trashing the country.

Lots of volatility in the world markets too, talk of a crash coming ie " rebalancing " of share prices before too long as experts feel they are overvalued. The US/China trade wars aren't helping either. So, little old us, slowly coming out of the biggest and longest recession since lord knows when then goes and shoots ourselves through both feet by voting for Brexit and leaving our biggest trading partners ! Ergo MORE uncertainty and MORE volatility

. I fear it's going to get a lot more volatile in the next 4 months and who will suffer the most ? as usual its us ordinary people at the bottom of the heap.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I've no idea what will happen when a lorry turns up at Dover on the 30th March ..... equally neither do you. BUT that doesn't negate the point that we could fall into no deal by default.

I'll repeat my question ( you're so good at asking them but rarely answer any posed to you ! ) : What are these 'emergency measures' you speak of ? How are they going to be passed by Parliament in 109 days ?

I'm sorry but I'm afraid I have demonstrated many times on this thread that I do know what a 'no deal' means and what it's implications are. I also know what is happening with regards to the WTO negotiations and it's effect on all our ports.

That's why it won't happen :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm afraid I have demonstrated many times on this thread that I do know what a 'no deal' means and what it's implications are and I do know what is happening with regards to the WTO and it's effect on all our ports.

have you? i mean with verifiable sources? because i have heard from people involved in trade that, while concerned, dont think its a massive issue and the ports will continue to function.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
have you? i mean with verifiable sources? because i have heard from people involved in trade that, while concerned, dont think its a massive issue and the ports will continue to function.

Yes, yes I have.

But I wouldn't get hung up on it as we will know who was right within the next few weeks.

Maybe you should ask these people you know who are involved in trade why Russia has done what it has to scupper our WTO submissions ?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

How? What tariffs do the customs charge? Who clears the paperwork? Come on, instead of just jibing, let's hear what your friends in trade have to say?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Seriously, what else could she have done? It doesn’t matter who the PM is, the scenario is the same and has been for weeks. We either leave with no deal to honour the referendum result or we vote again in the hope we get the result that provides the easy way out.

Not called a GE in 2017 when she promised she wouldn't? She could have and should have shaped her cabinet and brexit secretary positions with people she could trust and shared her vision in a common goal for the negotiations. Instead we've gone to the table with various factions vying for their share and what we have is a mess. It is a deal that has been fashioned for the least disruption to the Tory Party rather than a deal which is best suited to Britain leaving the EU. She has been too scared of being seen as a remainer and has held no conviction of what Leave could or should look like. We may all share differences on that, but someone has to lead and say this is what we need to do. Take the flak, but have that conviction.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Will you also reveal your sources involved in trade if you are asking for someone else's? I'm not sure a driver with Eddie Stobbart will count...

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

As you didn't think Priti Patel's comments last week were anything to worry about, I'd take whatever you as a Brexit voter think you've heard from people involved in trade on a no deal scenario as being about as substantive as your knowledge of the legacy of the Irish famine.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I'm not sure that is entirely true. Our constitution gives power to the executive, i.e. PM, to make or unmake treaties. Not that it would happen of course, but constitutionally at least it is possible for the PM to revoke it.

A50 was invoked by an Act of Parliament - it needs one to revoke it - that disgusting Gina Miller woman made sure that was the case.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I'm sorry but I'm afraid I have demonstrated many times on this thread that I do know what a 'no deal' means and what it's implications are. I also know what is happening with regards to the WTO negotiations and it's effect on all our ports.

Good avoidance of the question posed to you ..... yet again !

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Go on then, what are these 'emergency measures' ? I thought you agreed that the EU's final stance was as it is now and so why would they agree to any 'emergency measures' ? Revoking A50 would require an act of parliament. Two issues with that currently - 109 days with a Christmas break - a VERY short time to write and approve legislation. Also parliament is utterly divided, even if there was a vote to recind there's no guarentee it would pass.

If there is a will by parliament to change then they will find the way, I think this clustterfu*k has been found out for what it is and many many people have no stomach for your kind of leave now reality has hit. I live in hope.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here