Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The government won the second vote, on the Labour amendment on enhanced parliamentary procedures, by 316 votes to 291 - a majority of 25.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Start a post with bollocks - and then just get further and further from reality. Well, you are a remainer, and for a remainer a guess is as good as a fact. Not only was I there in the 70s, I even voted in the referendum. I voted no, in spite of the dirt that was thrown at anyone who voted no by the Yes lobby. Sorry if real facts turn your argument to bollox.

Oh, and 900 years as an independent sovereign state - since 1066 in fact; that's history. Various alliances and agreements didn't change that. Shame they don't teach history properly these days, eh?

Unlikely you would have had a vote 900 years ago though, possibly not even 100 years ago.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Wow! Put the flags out! Remainer accepts reality!

Good job we'll be out when it goes tits up.

Some last thousands of years, making the point that you have read history and so you know the EU is doomed is rather silly, it's like telling someone they are going to die, we all do.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The government have won by a majority of just three; there were 305 votes in favour of the ERG amendment, and 302 against.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Guto Bebb resigns as a Tory Defence Minister to vote against The Government in that one.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The government won the vote on the Labour dumping amendment by 317 votes to 283 - a majority of 34.

And now MPs are voting on amendment 73 - the ERG amendment saying the UK could not join the EU’s VAT regime.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The Eurosceptic Conservative MPs’ amendment 73, to stop the UK from joining the EU’s VAT regime, was approved by 303 votes to 300 – the same slim majority as the earlier ERG amendment vote.

larus

The government won the vote on the Labour dumping amendment by 317 votes to 283 - a majority of 34.

And now MPs are voting on amendment 73 - the ERG amendment saying the UK could not join the EU’s VAT regime.

And that’s also been passed 303 - 300.

Parliamentary democracy in action as I believe our Remain friends were saying when the Remainers were voting with their conscience.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
MPs have voted by a majority of 33 to approve the*Brexit*Customs Bill – 318 voting for and 285 against. The government has survived.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
And that’s also been passed 303 - 300.

Parliamentary democracy in action as I believe our Remain friends were saying when the Remainers were voting with their conscience.

A 50.25 % / 49.75% vote.

Interesting split.

larus

A 50.25 % / 49.75% vote.

Interesting split.

Who cares? 1 vote, 3 votes, 50 votes.

Another step towards leaving the protectionist, inward looking EU. There will be minor disruption once we leave, but nothing like the Remainers/Project Fear Part 2 want to portray.

They were wrong about the Euro.
They were wrong about the impact of the VOTE to leave.
But, we’re expected to trust them now, as, they are now really, really sure this time round.

Yeah, right.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Who cares? 1 vote, 3 votes, 50 votes.

Another step towards leaving the protectionist, inward looking EU. There will be minor disruption once we leave, but nothing like the Remainers/Project Fear Part 2 want to portray.

They were wrong about the Euro.
They were wrong about the impact of the VOTE to leave.
But, we’re expected to trust them now, as, they are now really, really sure this time round.

Yeah, right.

Very close vote but surely you agree, that the way things are going, more than 75% of the electorate are likely be unhappy with the eventual outcome. I don't think anyone is going to get what they voted for.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Start a post with bollocks - and then just get further and further from reality. Well, you are a remainer, and for a remainer a guess is as good as a fact. Not only was I there in the 70s, I even voted in the referendum. I voted no, in spite of the dirt that was thrown at anyone who voted no by the Yes lobby. Sorry if real facts turn your argument to bollox.

Oh, and 900 years as an independent sovereign state - since 1066 in fact; that's history. Various alliances and agreements didn't change that. Shame they don't teach history properly these days, eh?

What bollocks? I said four things:
a) That the Tories, in 1972, were overwhelmingly pro Europe (and that Macmillan had tried to join earlier)
b) Labour was split
c) The EEC had been in existence for 15 years before we asked to join
d) We established an alliance with several European nations to defeat Napoleon

Which of those four claims isn't true? (Oh, and I voted in the referendum too and have a better memory of it than you do).

You're a bit sketchy about history if you think that we've been an independent sovereign state since 1066. Hint: the UK came into existence in 1800 - you're out by 734 years. (You could argue that Great Britain came into existence earlier, but that was 1707 - you're still out by 641 years).

And you seem to have difficulty in telling the difference between a Brexiteer and a Remainer - Remainers are those who voted to stay in. People like me, who voted to leave, are not Remainers.

On the point about Macmillan wanting to join in the 1960s, de Gaulle used his veto in 1963 to prevent this from happening as he felt that Britain wasn't truly committed to the European project (and was acting on behalf of the US and Kennedy).

While it's true that De Gaulle vetoed the UK's entry - twice - it was because he thought that the UK would act as a trojan horse for the US. The US desperately wanted the UK to be a member of the EEC.

As a side issue, there were concerns about future commitment. In 1962, the Conservative party was struggling after more than a decade in power and, as I said, the Labour Party was pretty hostile to the EEC. It looked likely that Labour would win the next election and the leaders were not pro Europeans. Gaitskill was anti and Wilson was initially sceptical about Europe, although he changed his mind later, which is why he applied in 1967.

It may have been a minor factor, but the real fear was of a US-UK power axis dominating Europe.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
What bollocks? I said four things:
a) That the Tories, in 1972, were overwhelmingly pro Europe (and that Macmillan had tried to join earlier)
b) Labour was split
c) The EEC had been in existence for 15 years before we asked to join
d) We established an alliance with several European nations to defeat Napoleon

Which of those four claims isn't true? (Oh, and I voted in the referendum too and have a better memory of it than you do).

You're a bit sketchy about history if you think that we've been an independent sovereign state since 1066. Hint: the UK came into existence in 1800 - you're out by 734 years.

And you seem to have difficulty in telling the difference between a Brexiteer and a Remainer - Remainers are those who voted to stay in. People like me, who voted to leave, are not Remainers.

While it's true that De Gaulle vetoed the UK's entry - twice - it was because he thought that the UK would act as a trojan horse for the US. The US desperately wanted the UK to be a member of the EEC.

As a side issue, there were concerns about future commitment. In 1962, the Conservative party was struggling after more than a decade in power and, as I said, the Labour Party was pretty hostile to the EEC. It looked likely that Labour would win the next election and the leaders were not pro Europeans. Gaitskill was anti and Wilson was initially sceptical about Europe, although he changed his mind later, which is why he applied in 1967.

It may have been a minor factor, but the real fear was of a US-UK power axis dominating Europe.

I wish there were more people (on both sides) were like you Gwylan on this thread. You have voted but can see problems rather than just repeating the same old dogma.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here