Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's a major chip you are carrying around. Virtually every rule passed by the EU ( of which we are a part of at all levels, remember ) is either accepted or we opt out. I'm still waiting for someone to come up with an instance where the EU superseded our government with a law or rule that was detrimental to the majority of Brits.

thats a lot words to say instead of "i agree".

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Its not about individual laws and whether they are good or bad, its about the principle that the EU can in the areas that it has exclusive competence as defined by treaty, legislate with legally binding regulations and directives without the need for parliamentary permission.Asking which of these laws brought about in this way is detrimental is a red herring to the wider principle of parliamentary sovereignty and accountability.

Parliament is the supreme legal authority in the UK, it can end any law, you know this

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Parliament is the supreme legal authority in the UK, it can end any law, you know this

except in all areas where it has ceded power to Brussels. i dont understand where this idea we can just say no to EU has come from, when we've spent the last 2 years finding out how deeply emedded we are. one minute remainers tell how 2 years isnt enough, how difficult things will be in the event of a hard brexit, the next minute another remainer claims we have full control of all law so dont need to leave. both cant be right.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

It can,If it tears up the treaties that have given exclusive competence to the EU in certain areas.
This is a sure fire way of kicking yourself out of The EU,If only you remainers had proposed this option earlier. There would have been no need for a referendum at all.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
**cough** CAP

There are downsides to the CAP, but it has benefits also, It is one of the areas of EU policy that could do with some reworking and improvement. It also depends how you quantify "detrimental" to the majority of Brits, if you mean we all pay a bit more in taxes to subsidise farming, and pay a bit more for foods because of it, you have a point, but I think we all benefit from food security, safety, maintaining of countryside and reduction of chemical use in agriculture.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Boo Hoo. Bloody Brexit cry babies.

'Wah wah, I didn't get what I voted for'

You got exactly what you voted for. A big bloody mess. Well done.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Its not about individual laws and whether they are good or bad, its about the principle that the EU can in the areas that it has exclusive competence as defined by treaty, legislate with legally binding regulations and directives without the need for parliamentary permission.Asking which of these laws brought about in this way is detrimental is a red herring to the wider principle of parliamentary sovereignty and accountability.

It really isn't, the EU is not an outside agency, not yet anyway, laws made there are formed with the input of our elected representatives, and it only has those powers by our Parliament agreeing to that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
except in all areas where it has ceded power to Brussels. i dont understand where this idea we can just say no to EU has come from, when we've spent the last 2 years finding out how deeply emedded we are. one minute remainers tell how 2 years isnt enough, how difficult things will be in the event of a hard brexit, the next minute another remainer claims we have full control of all law so dont need to leave. both cant be right.

If we don't have the power, how are we leaving? We have the power to have left already, we don't have to wait, the reason we have not is nothing to do with our "sovereignty" it is due to economics.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Baldseagull has already given the answer. We wouldn't be able to Brexit unless we could say no to the EU. In that sense we have full control as ultimately we have always been able to, as a fully sovereign nation, to reject any proposed EU law. We have just chosen not to, on the basis it would be detrimental doing so.

D

Deleted member 22389

Boo Hoo. Bloody Brexit cry babies.

'Wah wah, I didn't get what I voted for'

You got exactly what you voted for. A big bloody mess. Well done.

Last time I checked it was a remainer heading the negotiations. What we have now is some bodged up proposal, yes it takes us further away from the EU than before, but it's not really Leaving the EU at all, is it?. Just got to wait and see what happens.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It really isn't, the EU is not an outside agency, not yet anyway, laws made there are formed with the input of our elected representatives, and it only has those powers by our Parliament agreeing to that.

It is a red herring,good regulations(mobile phone roaming) or detrimental exclusive competence regulations (common fisheries policy) are not the crux of the issue, the principle is parliament losing these powers in the first place
Yes parliament agreed via treaties to cede some of its powers to the EU, guess what, loads of people have hated it ever did so.
We are now leaving and those treaties are being torn up.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
If we don't have the power, how are we leaving? We have the power to have left already, we don't have to wait, the reason we have not is nothing to do with our "sovereignty" it is due to economics.
Baldseagull has already given the answer. We wouldn't be able to Brexit unless we could say no to the EU. In that sense we have full control as ultimately we have always been able to, as a fully sovereign nation, to reject any proposed EU law. We have just chosen not to, on the basis it would be detrimental doing so.

we have ultimate power to fully withdraw, cease all agreements and treaties. all in or all out. we do not have the powers to pick and chose individual laws, regulations, etc. no cherry picking remember?

why wouldn't you accept this when you have been arguing in favour for this devolution of power to remain. its very very odd.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

We always did have the power to repeal the European Communities Act, parliament could have done it on its own and taken us out of the EU, but it didn’t. It delegated that decision to the people via a referendum.
Parliament could have ignored the EU and its regulations and torn up the treaties that gave the EU exclusive competence to make some laws without it, that would have been a quick way to leave the EU as well. Interesting that remainers are saying the latter was a viable option. When you say detrimental to do so, you mean detrimental as you would no longer be able to be in the EU if you tore up the rule book and the treaties that make you a member.
Wish you remainers would had proposed this version of leaving earlier.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Another "brexit wont happen" berk angry at being wrong as we leave the EU..
:dunce:

Was you in Hastings old town earlier pasta? Just I saw a bloke in a golf T-Shirt, red trousers, deck shoes, foppish hair cut, North Utsire/South Utsire/generally ****/occasionally numptie walking toward The Dolphin. Political correctness gone mad though.

Jan 30, 2008
Was you in Hastings old town earlier pasta? Just I saw a bloke in a golf T-Shirt, red trousers, deck shoes, foppish hair cut, North Utsire/South Utsire/generally ****/occasionally numptie walking toward The Dolphin. Political correctness gone mad though.
NICE BIT OF SWERVING THE POINT :dunce:
regards
DR

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Not me, sure it wasnt this chump **** numptie in red trousers

6e08a029a2cb1501aa2b6205da9c1daf--red-pants-blue-jeans.jpg

You could have played class warrior jizz biscuit together, i hear its all the rage amongst virtue signallers.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not me, sure it wasnt this chump **** numptie in red trousers

View attachment 98646

You could have played class warrior jizz biscuit together, i hear its all the rage amongst virtue signallers.

No - I quite clearly stated 'deck shoes' did I not?! Silver boots 'aint 'deck shoes'. You're getting it wrong!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here