Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Your comment is poorly spelt gibberish......

Yes, but deliberately so - PPF is the parody account, Ppf is the one whose prolific levels of gibberish he is lampooning.

I know it is hard to spot the difference as their posting styles are so similar, but look out for the capital letters!

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
Yes, but deliberately so - PPF is the parody account, Ppf is the one whose prolific levels of gibberish he is lampooning.

I know it is hard to spot the difference as their posting styles are so similar, but look out for the capital letters!

Whoosh.... that's the second time! Thanks for pointing it out....and is Baker lite a spoof. I do hope so, I cannot imagine anyone but me would take his/her mantras seriously......

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1084501861951041542[/TWEET]

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Just been watching Corbyn on the Marr show. Totally unconvincing on the possible re-negotiation with the EU post General Election assuming he wins it. He's almost taking the Liam Fox line - easiest deal in history. I really don't think he believes that he can breeze into Brussel assured of a better deal than May got e.g. jointly negotiating any new trade deals the EU enters into with 3rd parties. This would give the UK more leverage than any remaining member of the EU. No other member would put up with that. Delusional I'm afraid.

The only way anything gets through now is if all parties get together to work a way forward and listening to JC that is leaving the EU as he wants out anyway but won't forthrightly admit it.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'll admit I do not know enough of the likely effect of Brexit in all areas but one KEY area that does worry me is in reagrds to Healthcare.

The NHS is struggling to cope as we all know, not just in financing but in recruitment of doctors and especially nurses. There has been an 85% reduction for nursing jobs from EU residents since the decision to leave. I really worry that this whole situation is really going to bite us hard, expecially as the average nurses pay is way less than £30k.

I'm all for imigration control to a degree but this whole fiasco is putting off EU people from applying for these vital roles in our NHS. I wouldn't mind if there were thousands of UK nationals lining up to be nurses but that just isn't the case. Add to this the lack of care workers (many of which have come from the EU in the past) and one which affects my family on a personal level as we have to seek out carers to help with my disabled father. They certainly don't earn over the £30k threshold, and this has led to me having to lose work myself to provide support.

And I thought the health service was struggling now - wait another 5 or 10 years and the only way you'll avoid a 10 hour wait to be seen will be to go private. And I for one can't afford that.

Interesting article from the Independent :

"Brexit is set to exacerbate the NHS staffing crisis and a new report estimates that as many as 51,000 nursing staff will be needed by the time time the UK leaves in 2021 after its transition period.

This would mean the health services is missing the equivalent of 45 hospitals’ worth of nurses, according to the report by the Cavendish Coalition, an alliance of 36 health and social care organisations which is urging government to step up recruitment and training to mitigate the loss of EU staff.

The latest NHS workforce figures have revealed a “grim” and growing gap in key staff with 41,722 nursing roles unfilled in June 2018.

Brexit is set to exacerbate these gaps, particularly in the harder to fill specialties like social care nursing, and is likely to have added 2,700 from lost EU staff already.

Extrapolating this over the potentially three year Brexit transition period the report estimates Brexit could contribute to as many as 10,000 additional nursing vacancies

The report was written by the National Institute of Economic and Social Research, and it warns waiting times for patients are also increasing fastest in NHS Trusts which are losing more European workers, particularly nurses.

These startling figures should be taken extremely seriously by those negotiating our departure from the EU,” said Danny Mortimer, co-convenor of the coalition and chief executive of the NHS Employers organisation."

In other words - 'don't get ill in the future'!

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Parliament are getting ready to take back control and I don’t think you are going to like it very much.

I believe you to be correct,self serving politicians are going to attempt to do the unimaginable and overthrow the largest democratic vote in British political history, The elite are about to thumb their noses at 17.4 million people,what they clearly don’t realise is the whirlwind they will unleash if they are stupid enough to do it.
The vote was lost by the Remain campaign and they just don’t get it.
#jesuisgilletjaunes
On our way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
I believe you to be correct,self serving politicians are going to attempt to do the unimaginable and overthrow the largest democratic vote in British political history, The elite are about to thumb their noses at 17.4 million people,what they clearly don’t realise is the whirlwind they will unleash if they are stupid enough to do it.
The vote was lost by the Remain campaign and they just don’t get it.
#jesuisgilletjaunes
On our way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oops, implied threat there..... What sort of whirlwind do you think? Violence? Insurrection? Both? Are we not going now then? Don't you think it would be better to consider some sort of unifying process rather than continuing to stir up resentment? Just asking......

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Oops, implied threat there..... What sort of whirlwind do you think? Violence? Insurrection? Both? Are we not going now then? Don't you think it would be better to consider some sort of unifying process rather than continuing to stir up resentment? Just asking......

"Violence? Insurrection? Both?"

Are those the only two (one) option(s)? (They basically mean the same thing).

I think the likely outcome is probably huge protests and political action, and ultimately probably the installing of a new political party, UKIP or some other equivalent. Either that or remarkably low levels of political participation, a massive increase in political cynicism (as if there was room for any more), and a huge dose of resentment and bitterness between poltical groups and towards political institutions.

Certainly the Conservative Party will be done (they hardly represented conservatism anyway), and there are plenty of pro-leave Labour supporters too so they will also likely take a hit.

In general trust in politics will go from it's already abysmal levels to 0. Surely even remain supporters aren't so short sighted that they won't understand that while they ended up getting their way, they also descovered that the express will of the people doesn't matter at all in this country. The payoff is remaining in the EU. But the cost is that we don't live in a country where democracy has any meaning at all when push comes to shove.

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018

I think the likely outcome is probably huge protests and political action, and ultimately probably the installing of a new political party, UKIP or some other equivalent. Either that or remarkably low levels of political participation, a massive increase in political cynicism (as if there was room for any more), and a huge dose of resentment and bitterness between poltical groups and towards political institutions.

Certainly the Conservative Party will be done (they hardly represented conservatism anyway), and there are plenty of pro-leave Labour supporters too so they will also likely take a hit.

In general trust in politics will go from it's already abysmal levels to 0. Surely even remain supporters aren't so short sighted that they won't understand that while they ended up getting their way, they also descovered that the express will of the people doesn't matter at all in this country. The payoff is remaining in the EU. But the cost is that we don't live in a country where democracy has any meaning at all when push comes to shove.

.... or maybe we can analyse ways of making peace with each other and working together to find a positive solution.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
.... or maybe we can analyse ways of making peace with each other and working together to find a positive solution.

I think it's a little unrealistic to betray someone and then propose that peace be made.

How about we make peace right now, then get on with a proper Brexit?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

So are you saying that we should back TM's deal ?

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
I think it's a little unrealistic to betray someone and then propose that peace be made.

How about we make peace right now, then get on with a proper Brexit?

So tell me.... what type of Brexit would suit you? How many of the 'Leavers' want that same Brexit? 'Betrayal' is an emotive term... who is betraying you... and why?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here