Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The people who actually did it say it is possible, and they are in a position to know - but of course, they don't have an agenda driven by an 'everything is impossible if we leave the EU' mentality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41412561

We brought together two customs officers with decades of experience working at the border to discuss what the UK could learn. Anita Graff from Norway and Vidar Gundersen from Sweden now work for a commercial customs agency, but once collaborated on a trial project to use technology to speed things up at the border.
"It is possible to set up solutions with smooth border crossings without stopping - the technology is there already," says Anita. She says the UK could get such a system up and running within 18 months.
Vidar believes the UK has an advantage because it is starting with a clean sheet. But he says collaboration between countries and businesses is vital: "You have to work on this together and everyone has to see this as a common challenge still to solve."
But back at the Svinesund customs operation, Kristen Hoiberget thinks we should not underestimate that challenge.

He is dealing with 1,300 lorries a day, while more than ten times as many go through the port of Dover and the Eurotunnel freight terminal.
He advises the UK to get a decent trade deal with the EU: "If you don't get any agreement, it's a big problem - everything has to be stopped and you have to declare everything. If you don't have collaboration you will have to stop on both sides of the border and there is a lot of red tape. So I wish you the best of luck!"
Whether it is number plate recognition or a driver's smartphone app telling customs everything in a lorry has been cleared, the technology needed to make a border work smoothly is not exactly rocket science. The real challenge is bringing together politicians, customs officials and businesses from different countries to allow it to launch successfully.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit,but the Chennai Six have won their appeal!Off to the pub:thumbsup::drink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
230,000 vehicle checks at that border last year. https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-ireland-border-customs-norway-sweden/
This is certainly not possible with a no deal Brexit in any case.
I am sensing that it is dawning upon the Leave voters on this thread that a no deal scenario is a terrible situation, especially for N. Ireland and Gibraltar. Twice in the last week a leaver has suggested Norway or Switzerland as a model starting point.

"no deal" has always been a negotiation position, which is mirrored by the EU "you cant have any cake" position of no deal either. in the brexit debate 18mth ago, both the Norway and Switzerland model were often raised as starting points. its not a new idea that you can use existing trade relations as a model to frame your own. the debate then went (as it will now) back and forth on how they weren't suitable, ignoring they were used as examples of how the many supposed impossible challenges of leaving could, maybe, be addressed.

people may find this PDF of interest. short version, the EU themselves have produce research on how to implement technology to avoid a hard border.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Good to know, a practical solution.

Personnally I wish there was more of this sort of solution posted rather than the usual pro-Brexit zealotry.

More facts, less spin is the way forward, I hope.

Agree
There are difficulties ahead but there are solutions,
Brits tend not to give up the ghost when presented with a problem to solve, which is probably why so many Brexiters on here have faith in the country as a whole that we can if we all work together overcome problems and find a workable solution.
It just doesnt seem right or fair for a small minority to portray the country as a basket case that is incapable of finding practical alternatives so therefore give up trying.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, as I pointed out above TM will be ecstatic that you've come to her rescue with 9 days to go.

We're beyond political point scoring, this is now real FFS

Tick, Tock
What? Come back when you can make sense, because I've no idea what point you're trying to make with this bit of gibberish. 'Tick, Tock' is starting to sound a bit deranged........

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What? Come back when you can make sense, because I've no idea what point you're trying to make with this bit of gibberish. 'Tick, Tock' is starting to sound a bit deranged........

The matter has to be agreed in December otherwise no more movement on trade until March, I guess is the point.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

It's very simple. This border issue that you are waffling on about has to be agreed in 9 days time

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The matter has to be agreed in December otherwise no more movement on trade until March, I guess is the point.
Thank you for explaining it rationally. I've no idea how I've helped TM though, but hey, us leavers don't pretend to know what remainers are/were thinking!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
"no deal" has always been a negotiation position, which is mirrored by the EU "you cant have any cake" position of no deal either. in the brexit debate 18mth ago, both the Norway and Switzerland model were often raised as starting points. its not a new idea that you can use existing trade relations as a model to frame your own. the debate then went (as it will now) back and forth on how they weren't suitable, ignoring they were used as examples of how the many supposed impossible challenges of leaving could, maybe, be addressed.

people may find this PDF of interest. short version, the EU themselves have produce research on how to implement technology to avoid a hard border.

More practical solutions to the Ireland border question.:thumbsup:
With no side wanting a hard border, it would suggest that there are enough people working toward a solution of not having one.
Wont please the doomongers on here, but i guess the majority can live with that.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's very simple. This border issue that you are waffling on about has to be agreed in 9 days time

That’s odd, Donald Tusk said there only needed to be sufficient progress to begin the trade side of talks not a final agreement on the Irish question. A final settlement can only come after its known what trade arrangements will be in place involving the border when they have concluded.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Why I like being neighbours with our Europeans.

Nigel Farage - British - Brexit.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...out-a-single-bullet-being-fired-a7099211.html

France

https://twitter.com/mwarne/status/934763415171686400

[tweet]934763415171686400[/tweet]

Very commendable.Here's a reason I don't like our European neighbours.

killer.jpg

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Don't care how you factor it,the EU is going to be a smaller economy in just over a year's time.

A non-sequitur: the size of the EU economy is being discussed in the context of the export market it provides British industry. In these terms it will be the same size as it is now. Or bigger of course.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I don't think Pastafarian was trying to negotiate with me when declaring that we could just walk away without a deal and trade on WTO terms.
The PDF describes possible solutions for a reduced friction border, not a frictionless one. The closer we are to equivalence with the single market and customs union, the easier it will be. The more we differ, the harder it will be. There is no way that all the current crossings of the Border can remain open with these solutions, not for goods at any rate.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
isn't it time you packed your bags :timmy:
regards
DR

OK, I'll break the unspoken rule of most of us on here and not ignore you. So here's the question: what do you disagree with in the post you were responding to?

(I should mention that the last Brexiteer I asked a straightforward question of was unprepared to answer, preferring the usual cheap name-calling - it would be interesting to see if a pattern is developing here.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here