Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
lol that's brilliant. The Uk would rather have criminals in the work force than foreigners.

:lolol:

Brexit aside, I'm not sure what is so bad about bringing criminals back into society by giving them jobs in some hope they won't re offend ? Or shall we just chuck of prison them out at the end of their sentence, unemployed and on benefits with a high chance they will commit another crime ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I don't see anything to laugh at. There are very high rates of re-offending among British prisoners - I think it's the highest in Europe and one of the biggest problems is unemployment among recently-released offenders. If you give them jobs, they're less likely to re-offend. Less crime, fewer prisoners, lower public spending.

Sounds good to me

Brexit aside, I'm not sure what is so bad about bringing criminals back into society by giving them jobs in some hope they won't re offend ? Or shall we just chuck of prison them out at the end of their sentence, unemployed and on benefits with a high chance they will commit another crime ?

The stigma from employers, other employees and the public at large will require a big shift in attitude toward ex-offenders first, let alone those released on temporary license serving custodial sentences.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So we get rid of a labour force of trained, keen, honest EU migrants and replace them with criminals?

I heard on the radio this week that 50% of employers bin any CV that details an applicant has a criminal conviction, even before interview stage. I'm surprised it's only 50%.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The stigma from employers, other employees and the public at large will require a big shift in attitude toward ex-offenders first, let alone those released on temporary license serving custodial sentences.

We employ a number of ex-offenders ..... and ex-BHA footballers ..... not seen any issues with the ex-offenders yet.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Anyone watch Carry on Brussels. My wife genuinely thought it was a comedy and not the real thing. What bureaucratic nonsense the EU is. These people live on a different planet.

Talking of which I was interested to learn that UKIP no longer deals with The Times because it is a propaganda sheet. It prefers to deal with The Express, which presumably isn't. Forget planets; these people are in different solar systems.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

But the scheme to extend the ROTL scheme is a step in the right direction.

When I was a teenager, I had a job at Jolyons on the Steine. It was a place that regularly employed kids who had just come out of borstal (as called then) and, as far as I know, they caused few problems ... although I note they were never employed on the tills :)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But the scheme to extend the ROTL scheme is a step in the right direction.

When I was a teenager, I had a job at Jolyons on the Steine. It was a place that regularly employed kids who had just come out of borstal (as called then) and, as far as I know, they caused few problems ... although I note they were never employed on the tills :)

Not sure if it's still the case, as Community Service/Payback has changed over recent years, but some charity shops would take on people from The Probation Service for 'voluntary' work, if:

a. They were female.
b. They'd committed the 'right' type of offence.

They'd be nowhere near the tills either in most cases. I agree with you it's a step in the right direction, but it all boils down to a very ingrained stigma in society as a whole that won't go away easily. If the 50% figure quoted by [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] is true, I'm very surprised too, as I thought it would be far higher. 50% shows what a stigma there is though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Jan 30, 2008
so we get rid of a labour force of trained, keen, honest eu migrants and replace them with criminals?

I heard on the radio this week that 50% of employers bin any cv that details an applicant has a criminal conviction, even before interview stage. I'm surprised it's only 50%.
we've got plenty of criminals arriving from the EU:dunce:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
So we get rid of a labour force of trained, keen, honest EU migrants and replace them with criminals?

I heard on the radio this week that 50% of employers bin any CV that details an applicant has a criminal conviction, even before interview stage. I'm surprised it's only 50%.
but that conviction may be "spent", rehabilitation of the offenders act ???
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We employ a number of ex-offenders ..... and ex-BHA footballers ..... not seen any issues with the ex-offenders yet.

I had lunch with my lawyer chum today. He said that your pdf issue isn’t a big deal and his company has thousands of legacy PDFs containing personal information as they’re required to retain them under German law for a specified period.

He said they store them securely and with restricted access. And if any individual asks for all their information they will search all the systems they practically can. If this means legacy systems cannot be searched they will state this and provide a reason why they cannot be searched and also state if any data does exist it’s safe and will not be used. He finished by saying “if you can show you’ve done all you reasonably can no one will come knocking on your door”

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope that the surgery is a success. Such things serve to remind us that

a) even Brexit arguments can be kept in perspective

b) we must all be careful of our blood pressure (especially when we argue over you-know-what!)

Recovering in ICU now,but it's still fingers crossed.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Wonder if that Professor Dustmann worked for the ONS?This chap doesn't seem impressed-Planet ONS! :lolol:

ons wos.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here