Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Well those people are idiots. Why did does the whole discussion have to be about all the negatives of leaving. At no time have we ad any debate about the many positives of remaining. Abdication of responsibility

Easiest trade deal ever, they need us more than we need them, taking back control, sovereignty of our Parliament, blue passports , less EU immigration.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
so ...a lot didn`t like the referendum result so lets vote again. (until we get a remain result?).....

No, the first vote no one had any idea what Brexit meant, people (like me) assumed that Brexit might actually make the country better, but in reality it has just proven just how shambolic our government is. With new information on what Brexit really means, people may vote differently. People may vote to leave because they want to honour the original choice, people may vote to leave because they still see the EU as evil or may look at how the EU has dealt with Brexit and realised that they haven't exactly made it is easy for us either, but people may also change their vote to remain because they can see that Brexit may not be what they hoped for.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
That rules out my Tory MP then, who totally ignored the 52% Remain vote in her constituency. It works both ways.

It absolutely does work both ways.

Collectively they have failed, so collectively they should take responsibility. Some actually have done better jobs than others but as a unit, they failed, so they all should go. And I don't believe that this is restricted to Government either... the opposition failed in equal measure.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
So what you are suggesting is we send a remainer to deal with Europe, who then comes back with a crap deal and says “that’s the best deal we could get”, then because of their ineptitude/inability to get a better deal we say we’ll stay after all...

You couldn’t make it up!

Don't get me wrong, I don't like it as much as you do, but the government is proving to be more shambolic day by day but if no Brexit is better than a no deal Brexit is better for this country then she needs to do what is best for our country, not for her image or the governments image, but what's best for the country.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm a leaver but the closer we get to the deadline the more I think it wont happen.
Too many want another referendum, too many want to stay in and too many want to bring down the government.
I understand that people didn't like the offer we had on the table. But why isn't anyone doing something about it. JC screams about getting TM and the government out but what is his alternative, well?
Why cant we have an all party delegation to meet with the European delegation to thrash out a deal that we like?
At a time of turmoil surely getting everybody around the table is the most obvious thing to do.
TM isn't going anywhere, she will stay leader and PM for a while yet. But come the deadline I think she will suspend article 50 for a few months to continue negotiations.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
That is simply untrue about the Greeks joining the Euro. Years before they joined the Euro, they failed the stability pact's rules. Those rules were a set of strict financial regulations designed to stop the kind of problem that the Greeks ended up with. Purely in the interests of political expediency, the powers that be in the EU allowed a fudge to occur and they along with others were allowed to join the Euro. To give credit to the EU for solving the problem they created is, well, creative.

Using the Greek eurozone crisis to provide providence of the effective functioning of the EU is like trying to justify the child care skills of Myra Hindley. The whole of the EU and it’s supporting arms have culpability. In short political expediency trumped economic logic, but some of our old favourites who support the EU were there....

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/E-8-2015-012215_EN.html?redirect

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-debts-when-it-joined-euro-10381926.html?amp

The consequences of the Greek situation are a useful lesson, as ultimately the consequences bore down on the poor, democracy was binned and the country was forced to sell off its assets. The rich and powerful were ok and the banks exposed to Greek debt were bailed out.

Greece had in a couple of years what has been happening more slowly here for years. When they voted in a Govt to overturn the austerity forced on it by IMF, EU Commission and ECB (all unelected by the Greeks) the democratic will of the Greek people was ignored.

Yes, lessons were definitely learned.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm a leaver but the closer we get to the deadline the more I think it wont happen.
Too many want another referendum, too many want to stay in and too many want to bring down the government.
I understand that people didn't like the offer we had on the table. But why isn't anyone doing something about it. JC screams about getting TM and the government out but what is his alternative, well?
Why cant we have an all party delegation to meet with the European delegation to thrash out a deal that we like?
At a time of turmoil surely getting everybody around the table is the most obvious thing to do.
TM isn't going anywhere, she will stay leader and PM for a while yet. But come the deadline I think she will suspend article 50 for a few months to continue negotiations.

She can't suspend article 50. That needs all 28 members to agree and the suggestion is that the other 27 will not say Yes if the only reason is to allow us to carry on negotiating - or as you put it, 'thrashing out a deal we like'.

I do understand why good people voted Leave but the inescapable truth is that the British public was flogged a fantasy by a group of chancers led by desperately uninformed snake oil salesmen - the only Brexit options that could ever be guaranteed were a calamitous No Deal or a vassal-state Norway. They knew they wouldn't win in 2016 on that platform so they invented a load of nonsense about Easiest deal in history (Fox), Having our cake and eating it (Johnson) and They need us more than we need them (Davis).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think we will end up staying in no mans land for years.

Leave voters don’t know what Brexit should mean - and remainers will fight on.

Gove and Johnson voted on opposite sides last night, the faces of leave

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm sure some may falter since helpful souls have told them that no medicines will be available and we'll all die of starvation if we leave.

I'm not sure you can run the country on the basis that some seriously disconnected people believe what they read in terrible newspapers.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
They'll never sit round the same table, they'd rather feed their own mothers and children to lions. The vast majority are career politicians who are in it for them selves and loyal to their parties. They don't give a **** about little people at the end of the day.

The whole sorry state of affairs should be taken away from the politicians and be dealt with by someone else, decided by the people with a compulsory vote. It's pretty clear that the only viable options are an (idiotic IMO) hard Brexit, or maintain the status quo of full Europe membership.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You asked what I wanted. I replied. :shrug:

My personal business issues, which will benefit significantly, are that. Personal.

I was right yesterday, you really are a selfish.....

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Be interested to know how many people on NSC have changed their mind ..maybe a thread with a poll

A good thought but I fear it would be overrun by Leave voters claiming that they voted Remain in the referendum but have now changed their mind because they are "disgusted" by the way people are "ignoring" the democratic will of the people, etc, etc, etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was right yesterday, you really are a selfish.....

Aren't you a bit intrigued though? I am?

Grave digger?

Trader of freeze-dried emergency foodstuffs?

Exporter of hand carved Sussex artifacts, hopeful of cashing in on a crippled sterling?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here