Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well LeaveEu are not happy:

Complete Capitulation - UK-EU joint report: "In the absence of agreed solutions, the United Kingdom will maintain FULL ALIGNMENT with those rules of the Internal Market and the Customs Union which, now or in the future, support North-South cooperation."

Win-win-win?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Michael Gove was at his most snivelling this morning on the radio, almost creaming himself in praise of Mrs May who has skillfully negotiated us to this point. Full alignment and a huge bill to pay for the privilige! Yes!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
To be fair, David Davis hasn’t bothered to think of a number yet. He had an important meeting to go to.

#omnishambles

yeah, funny... you forget its the EU that haven't given the details. in this they are at least sketching out what they consider to be in or out the scope of the final settlement.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
At last, one sensible decision made

"In the absence of agreed solutions, the United Kingdom will maintain FULL ALIGNMENT with those rules of the Internal Market and the Customs Union which, now or in the future, support North-South cooperation."

Takes away a lot of the reasons for leaving the single market ???

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There seems to be a lot of rowing back going on from the confident 'it will never happen' positions :laugh:

.......*waits for you to understand that the softest Brexit humanly possible is unfurling currently*

You do understand we’re basically not leaving, right?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
yeah, funny... you forget its the EU that haven't given the details. in this they are at least sketching out what they consider to be in or out the scope of the final settlement.

You’re right. David Davis is BANG ON this and knows EXACTLY what he’s doing. He’s a genius, if anything.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
.......*waits for you to understand that the softest Brexit is unfurling currently*

You do understand we’re basically not leaving, right?

As I sad: There seems to be a lot of rowing back going on from the confident 'it will never happen' positions and now rather a futile clinging to "In the absence of agreed solutions..." :laugh:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So we now needn't worry about the nightmare *no deal*.

That is a relief, for sure.

I assume Davis now takes a step back and hands the driving of his clown car over to Fox ?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
At last, one sensible decision made

"In the absence of agreed solutions, the United Kingdom will maintain FULL ALIGNMENT with those rules of the Internal Market and the Customs Union which, now or in the future, support North-South cooperation."

Takes away a lot of the reasons for leaving the single market ???

are you, and others, going to read more than one paragraph? the pdf isnt that long, it posted above. Sturgeon will be fuming more than anyone.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Cognitive dissonance here is fantastic. People who argued against anything but a hard Brexit trying to pretend they have got what they want. Fantastic.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You’re right. David Davis is BANG ON this and knows EXACTLY what he’s doing. He’s a genius, if anything.

on negotiations, probably yes. on running the Brexit department, evidently not. this is consistent with many views of him, that he's a maverick. he's suited to a doing a task, a mission if you will, such as negotiation with the EU, but not so much the day to day administration of a governmental department.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I would love a quick poll of people on here as to whether they are happy with today before all the implications are explained and the sabre rattling starts. It seems that at the moment everyone is reasonably happy. Remainers because this is staying in the single market (just not having a say) and leavers because now we can talk about trade and we are leaving the single market.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Take Back Control, to hand it to ten bowler hats and the Dublin government (read who decides what EU regulations will be imposed in NI and hence the UK after exit).

The DUP forced this - the original deal they refused wasn't going to require any of that for GB.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
are you, and others, going to read more than one paragraph? the pdf isnt that long, it posted above. Sturgeon will be fuming more than anyone.

I have read more. What are your thoughts on this section?

eu ireland deal.jpg

Freedom of movement continues as long as it happens via Ireland? (I'm not sure and haven't seen any expert analysis yet)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
To be fair, I can see how this could make the trade talks a whole lot easier - two birds with one stone. Maybe TM knew what she was doing all along :thumbsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Speaking to Today, Gove repeats his referendum claim that money that would otherwise have gone to the European Union will now be available to the NHS, though he gives no precise figure for how much that would be.

I wonder if this is before or after the huge bill and the loss to the economy that has already happened as a result of this complete non Brexit.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
"A fair deal for the British tax payers, it means that in future we will be able to invest more in our priorities at home such as housing, school and our NHS" :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here