Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Unless Brexit is stopped we are heading towards a national catastrophe.
Is that what you all want for you, your children and your grandchildren.

We'll have to disagree then .... I believe my childrens future is better off outside the EU. Hence why I voted leave.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I fail to see that you can say that with any conviction or factual evidence. Financial bods disagree, as do business leaders. In 10 years we may look back and say it was the best move. Any other sentiments of doom or elation are equally 'suck it and see'.

Catastrophe? Not so sure.

Because our government and parliament will never agree and do a deal that is best for this country.
Contempt of Parliament and the biggest loss in the history of the commons and possibly throwing it back to the people who even after 2 years are more informed but still don't fully understand what leave means, plus the stubbornness of the British should give you a few clues as to why I believe this to be true.
Not blaming leavers that was their choice, I am blaming our totally inept House Of Commons against the power of the EU who have and will have us for dinner.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I fail to see that you can say that with any conviction or factual evidence. Financial bods disagree, as do business leaders. In 10 years we may look back and say it was the best move. Any other sentiments of doom or elation are equally 'suck it and see'.

Catastrophe? Not so sure.

Depends how you define catastrophe. We will survive as a nation, we survived two world wars, as a nation, but a lot of individuals didn't. I am sure there were even some people that did quite well out of the wars.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Depends how you define catastrophe. We will survive as a nation, we survived two world wars, as a nation, but a lot of individuals didn't. I am sure there were even some people that did quite well out of the wars.

Longtime family friends of ours in Wales did. Their great-grandfather, acquired a berth at Newport docks and took a cut of whatever went through it. Then World War I happened and black gold started flying through there 24/7 to feed the Dreadnoughts...........

In the 1920's he bought 2 farms and huge tracts of land around the then little village of Cwmbran. It became a new town after World War 2 and everything got bought at market value and continued to whenever it was required through to the 1990's. They're utterly minted as a family - all down to a war profiteer 100 years ago.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The result of the referendum was specifically declared non-binding and then the law was changed to renege on this promise. Can you imagine the furore and cries of “affront to Democracy” this would have elicited from the Leave mob if this had happened in reverse and a binding agreement had been made non-binding.
That doesn't make sense. The result was non-binding, that was a matter of law that was determined after the vote. It wasn't a promise. The lawmakers then made it law that we would leave. That wasn't reneging on a promise - there was no promise in the first place. Had the referendum result been a remain victory then we'd have simply remained in. There'd have been no furore.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes,you're absolutely correct about other nations having another vote on eu issues. This is because like this result the ruling elite probably didn't like the result and wanted it changed?

Do you agree though that the General Election, with Leave voters split between Conservative and Labour, that the Customs Union and some sort of Single Market access shouldn't be off the table? The two manifestos split the Leave voters, so I do think it is wrong, that we are being told Brexit has to mean this or that. There is a mandate to consider all options. The Tories need to accept that their Brexit isn't what all Leaver voters voted for.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That doesn't make sense. The result was non-binding, that was a matter of law that was determined after the vote. It wasn't a promise. The lawmakers then made it law that we would leave. That wasn't reneging on a promise - there was no promise in the first place. Had the referendum result been a remain victory then we'd have simply remained in. There'd have been no furore.

Go back and do your research. This referendum was declared advisory before votes were cast. Then they changed it. It’s common knowledge.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Please, not the 2 world wars soundbite again.
That's been done over and over again on here.
The fact that we got through a couple of wars and won them with the help of European and other countries around the world has got nothing to do with Brexit, we are a totally different country in every way now anyway.
And I was originally talking about a government and parliament that are at war with each other.
Also, if Brexit is stopped ( which I want) then it will be the people that turn on the politicians ( good) so which ever way you look at it we will be totally f****d.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Please, not the 2 world wars soundbite again.
That's been done over and over again on here.
The fact that we got through a couple of wars and won them with the help of European and other countries around the world has got nothing to do with Brexit, we are a totally different country in every way now anyway.
And I was originally talking about a government and parliament that are at war with each other.
Also, if Brexit is stopped ( which I want) then it will be the people that turn on the politicians ( good) so which ever way you look at it we will be totally f****d.

So who were the European 'countries' helping us in World War 2?We had some refugees from countries who had surrendered to Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy,but I bet you can't name any governments supporting us,until at least 1944.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Go back and do your research. This referendum was declared advisory before votes were cast. Then they changed it. It’s common knowledge.
I know what happened thanks. It was an advisory referendum, but it was often claimed not to be - after the referendum John Redwood claimed in parliament that it was not advisory. He was wrong. The government argued that the referendum gave the government the power to trigger Article 50 without a further vote in parliament, and the Supreme Court ruled against them. But that's all besides the point.

The point is that you have claimed that a promise (that the referendum would be non-binding) was broken. It wasn't.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But this isn't about a maverick Lib Dem MP or the Albion. Not the same person or issue at all.......

I swore NEVER to vote for the political party that actively tried to DESTROY the Albion .... be it Bellotti, LDC, Norman Baker or the party in general who did NOTHING to bring LDC to heal. Maybe you weren't around during the wars but I really struggle to understand how anyone who was has forgiven them enough to vote for them ..... for heavens sakes, Baker was a minister very recently !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here