Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
They do support that, what the Brexiteers are crying about is what happens if we can't get one done before the end of the transition period, so some of them are trying to threaten no deal.

What would we do without you telling us what we think?:wink:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Latest scare story from Kent County Council (twinned with Brussels) is that dead bodies would go un-collected because of the traffic jams caused by a no-deal Brexit.:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:
The ones that died in the traffic jams?

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
First%20preferences%20map%20final-01-01.png

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Irish can export from Rosslare to Brittany shirley? And bye-pass Little Britain

I believe that 2 new "Super" ferries have been purchased in order to bypass any potential holdups either in Fishguard or Holyhead and sail direct to France or Spain.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shame you have such a selective memory,as he retracted somewhat,and admitted it wasn't quite as rosy a picture as he'd painted.Next you will be telling me the Irish don't sell their beef to Maccy D's.:lolol:

You’ll have to show that I’m afraid, as find it hard to believe for a few reasons.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Unbelievable arrogance from this Tory. :nono:
Ignorance of history and arrogance in the extreme.

[tweet]1070953937350598656[/tweet]

[tweet]1070969899693105153[/tweet]
Yes, great strategy to get us a good trade deal.

Looks like the *No deal* Project Abyss is back on in a few minds.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Patel is emblematic of a nasty fringe that still exists in the Tory party and possibly the most condescending individual that exists in parliament.

Its begar belief she held the position for International Development in government

Disgraced former International Development Secretary.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
but there was no threat, there was an observation there is an impact. by the way the Irish are very concerned about how trade is going to occur in future: they are building a port to try and cope and politicans keeping a party line with the EU , but Irish colleges tell me is a serious concern there. there wasnt a case of saying, as infered, we wont trade with the Irish, the question was asked why this wasn't made more prominent in negotiations to support trade. as i say, make this a case to justify a lighter approach. but it was "weaponised" by the EU early on, again to the dismay of the Irish. this article is pure spin, and people taking it in too willingly.

I think you are misreading the word threat in the article, there is a threat by circumstance, a threat to Irelands food security. Pritti Patel told The Times that this threat should have been used as leverage to get Ireland to drop the backstop, which in itself is there to prevent the threat of no deal being reached during a transition period and creating these exact issues.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What would we do without you telling us what we think?:wink:

I don't imagine you think much at all, but for reference, when I say Brexiteers I refer to the politicians, the "They" in my post is the Irish Government. If I am referring to you I would use ****wit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think you are misreading the word threat in the article, there is a threat by circumstance, a threat to Irelands food security. Pritti Patel told The Times that this threat should have been used as leverage to get Ireland to drop the backstop, which in itself is there to prevent the threat of no deal being reached during a transition period and creating these exact issues.

possibly, though they use the word threat and trigger people partly based on who said it. it is leverage, see it as "think of the children". so many negative consequences of no deal (or other poor deal) reflect onto the Irish. point ive harked on about for years*, its at the EU insistence, not the UK or Irish. we could quite happily support the GFA and negotiate a bilateral agreement on trade if the EU let them. *and oh my it has really been years :nono:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
possibly, though they use the word threat and trigger people partly based on who said it. it is leverage, see it as "think of the children". so many negative consequences of no deal (or other poor deal) reflect onto the Irish. point ive harked on about for years*, its at the EU insistence, not the UK or Irish. we could quite happily support the GFA and negotiate a bilateral agreement on trade if the EU let them. *and oh my it has really been years :nono:

It's all The EU's fault again. :tantrum:

If you can't see that a British politician saying we should try and get a better deal as a result of a report that mentions 'food supplies' and 'Ireland' is beyond the pale, and going to go down as badly as the reprehensible, ignorant comments deserve, there's really no helping you.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It's all The EU's fault again. :tantrum:

If you can't see that a British politician saying we should try and get a better deal as a result of a report that mentions 'food supplies' and 'Ireland' is beyond the pale, and going to go down as badly as the reprehensible, ignorant comments deserve, there's really no helping you.

can you not even see the flip side, that a no deal would be significant effect on Ireland? if an Irish politician said the same would it be condemned? (one did a while ago on radio). and yes, it is the EU fault that they have taken the line they have over Ireland, just because its us initiating the proceedings, they have chosen their negotiating stance. what the EU stands for and its strength in negotiation is one of the points of membership isn't it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Ireland are part of the EU though, they can't do deals alone, and as part of the EU they have more power. I don't think many Irish politicians are getting upset with how the EU is handling their interests in negotiations.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
can you not even see the flip side, that a no deal would be significant effect on Ireland? if an Irish politician said the same would it be condemned? (one did a while ago on radio)

Any idiot can see what a disaster a no deal Brexit will be on Ireland as it will on The UK. We're the ones who've decided to leave The EU though and undo 40+ years of economic integration and cooperation, not the other way round. As it's Brexit at any cost, it'll all just have to go down as collateral damage and a price worth paying.

I actually feel sorry for you though that you're condoning Priti Patel's comments and you can't seem to comprehend what a British, in particular English and of her party, politician seizing on remarks in an report mentioning food shortages and Ireland as to being why The UK should be getting a better deal out of Brexit actually look like to normal, decent people here, let alone people in Ireland who are fully aware of their tragic history and England's role in it.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
i can see the reporting has done its job well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here