Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Im sorry you find truthful insight insulting, but i guess if you cant even accept the basics that a democratic vote should be carried out your moral compass and grasp of what you consider acceptable is always going to be off the scale anyway.

But some people say that it might make more sense to have 2 referendums, the second one to come after the negotiation, it's not just me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
presumably for tax, or maybe the stated reason to put key leadership closer to their growing markets.

how trade works. ask google about rules of origin. but its pretty obvious otherwise a company in US creates a subsidary in Ireland, says all the goods are made by that company and bypass tariffs and regulations. they can do that with services where no physical good, origin is replaced by place of trade.

EU free trade conditions mean dispensation is afforded to all territories of a company registered in a free trade zone.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Dutch are loving this. 250 UK based firms in contact about relocating.

Unfortunately a number of international firms are based (usually in London) because we are in the EU.

It makes absolutely no sense at all for them to stay, particularly in the technical services side of the media industry where they supply to EU countries.

The UK becomes a single new oddity they have to deal with, whilst you can ship the HQ to Amsterdam where they all speak English anyway. Or Ireland.

I know for a fact that both countries have been actively touting for business, tax breaks the lot. A canny owner I know set a major facility up in Amsterdam a few years ago.

In the unlikelihood we stay, it makes no difference. If we leave he has an advantage.

Check what's going on ? Less than an hour on a plane from Gatwick for £99 on Easyjet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Usual response retorts to insults like the rest of the remain gang. None of them can put any point forward without an insult. Impossible to have a civilised argument
Well I'm certainly not going to tar everyone with the same brush, but this thread does seem to bring out the worst in people.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Indeed, the truth is no defence on here though.

If he is cute he will have restructred and made sure payments for royalties and IP are funnelling through to brassplated holding companies in Jersey.

Who knows?

Still it’s definitely a HQ registered in Singapore so let the gallons of piss soak deep into the mattresses.

He's wrong.

Also just a few things to consider:

Dyson have been trading since 1991. Why Singapore? Why now? Why register in Singapore when most of his business is conducted in the UK?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
But some people say that it might make more sense to have 2 referendums, the second one to come after the negotiation, it's not just me.

I presume though that the same “some people” do not say we could have two referendums, the second one to come after a two choice first referendum that had already occurred on whether we should Leave or Remain in a EU according to renegotiated membership terms.
And I presume the same “some people” do not say if the first referendum delivered a Leave decision the second referendum could happen following the negotiations to carry out the withdrawal leaving process?
You know, as opposed to renegotiating terms of membership staying in rather than negotiating terms to Leave that might occur from some other different type of scenario altogether that was being debated years ago on a 3 way referendum
I suspect those same “ some people” say there should not be a second referendum after a first referendum gives a definitive IN or OUT? And have always had this position
Im sure no one would be fooled into thinking that relevant to the scenario we have today or even another scenario that the same "some people" were saying we could have that second referendum after those withdrawal negotiations to leave are completed and after a decision to Leave.
Im sure no one thinks renegotiations to stay in are the same thing as negotiations to leave after a definitive referendum decision to Leave.
No one is so quick off the mark easily led by a few cherry picked words in a video to think that is what was being said by "some people"………...are they?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
EU free trade conditions mean dispensation is afforded to all territories of a company registered in a free trade zone.

interesting situation if correct. a steel manufacture from China or a shoe manufacture from Vietnam could set up HQ in singapore and import to EU under thier free trade agreement. i had accepted that trade regulations consider where manufature takes place. i think this means Mini's for example would be able to import to EU without tariff?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Also just a few things to consider:

Dyson have been trading since 1991. Why Singapore? Why now? Why register in Singapore when most of his business is conducted in the UK?

Most of Dyson’s business is conducted in the UK? Are you sure?
Why Singapore? Why now?
Your questions answered below

James Dyson responds to criticism with an article in The Telegraph

Though others would love to present it differently, my personal views on Britain’s departure from the European Union didn’t come into our recent decision to move Dyson’s head office. I think Britain has a hugely exciting future once it leaves the European Union and Dyson will continue to invest and grow here. Malmesbury, Hullavington, London and Bristol, Dyson’s creative and engineering centres, are growing not shrinking and our focus is unashamedly on the future...

Dyson is a fast-growing private technology company employing more than 4,500 people in the UK while at the same time expanding fast across the world. International success means we now generate only 4 per cent of our sales in the UK, but that export success has never been to the detriment of the UK – quite the opposite. Success abroad means we can invest more here, as we’re doing, with new money going into research and development, building new campuses, educating a future generation, and creating new jobs.

In many ways Dyson has changed beyond all recognition. China has quickly joined the US and Japan to be one of our largest markets, and others, such as Korea, Taiwan, and India, are growing rapidly meaning that Asia is an increasingly important region. We are also growing incredibly quickly in Europe – we grew at 33 per cent last year. And, this year, we reached a milestone as our global profits surpassed one billion pounds for the first time, giving us more cash to plough into the future.

Our ambitions are greater than ever and our hearts are now not only set on developing a meaningfully different electric car, but also on solid-state batteries. The future we envisage is forcing Dyson to evolve quickly

We are in a global race and, as many have been so keen to point out, I am risking everything that we have built. I don’t have pots of other people’s money to play with. We are developing the best car we can, as quickly as we can, using entirely new technologies. I find the challenge exciting and am confident that a Dyson car will be on the road in 2021. It will be for others to judge whether we have done a good job of it.

We are not approaching this in the same way as our competitors. Rather than relying on the expertise of others and ‘off the shelf’ components, our car and its new-technology battery will be entirely designed by Dyson, manufactured by Dyson, and sold by Dyson. It is a highly complex and expensive engineering project, but we have amassed great manufacturing and operations knowledge over time in Singapore, and we have a motivated and ambitious global team there. Nevertheless the car will take £1.5bn and the batteries an additional billion. That is our own money.

In 2016 we bought Hullavington Airfield in Wiltshire. We have since restored it to be a world-class vehicle testing and prototyping campus, employing hundreds of people. Over the past years we have invested hundreds of millions in solid state battery development and we are the only people undertaking a project like this in the UK. We have begun construction of our largest factory yet for our car and a solid-state battery factory in Singapore.

Though Singapore has a comparatively high cost base, it also has great technology expertise meaning it is the right place to make a high quality, technology loaded, electric vehicle.

The most recent – and much discussed – decision is that of moving our Chief Legal Officer and Chief Financial Officer to Singapore to join our Chief Executive resulting in the movement of our head office. This has attracted attention, some very personal, but most missing the point entirely. It would be downright stupid to think we could build our own automotive manufacturing plant from scratch, procure billions of pounds worth of components, and establish new production methods for automotive and battery technology, while our management team sat 7,000 miles away with an eight hour time difference. That would be reckless.

Every pound of investment and employment we spend in Britain is a vote of confidence in Britain. We have built, from scratch, the Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology, a new university where the undergraduates are paid. It is nurturing the engineers who will form a vital part of our long-term future in the UK. We are very keen to establish driverless car testing ground in the UK and have been asking the government to sell us additional MoD land for some time.

The future is incredibly exciting, I accept that I may be ambitious to get there faster than some, but please don’t take it the wrong way: these are not the actions of a hypocrite but someone wanting to invest more in the UK post-Brexit, not less.

James Dyson

Full Article here.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...not-actions-hypocrite-determined-invest-post/

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
interesting situation if correct. a steel manufacture from China or a shoe manufacture from Vietnam could set up HQ in singapore and import to EU under thier free trade agreement. i had accepted that trade regulations consider where manufature takes place. i think this means Mini's for example would be able to import to EU without tariff?

I’ll defer to your superior knowledge. I’m sure Dyson just picked Singapore out of a hat.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Most of Dyson’s business is conducted in the UK? Are you sure?
Why Singapore? Why now?
Your questions answered below

James Dyson responds to criticism with an article in The Telegraph

Though others would love to present it differently, my personal views on Britain’s departure from the European Union didn’t come into our recent decision to move Dyson’s head office. I think Britain has a hugely exciting future once it leaves the European Union and Dyson will continue to invest and grow here. Malmesbury, Hullavington, London and Bristol, Dyson’s creative and engineering centres, are growing not shrinking and our focus is unashamedly on the future...

Dyson is a fast-growing private technology company employing more than 4,500 people in the UK while at the same time expanding fast across the world. International success means we now generate only 4 per cent of our sales in the UK, but that export success has never been to the detriment of the UK – quite the opposite. Success abroad means we can invest more here, as we’re doing, with new money going into research and development, building new campuses, educating a future generation, and creating new jobs.

In many ways Dyson has changed beyond all recognition. China has quickly joined the US and Japan to be one of our largest markets, and others, such as Korea, Taiwan, and India, are growing rapidly meaning that Asia is an increasingly important region. We are also growing incredibly quickly in Europe – we grew at 33 per cent last year. And, this year, we reached a milestone as our global profits surpassed one billion pounds for the first time, giving us more cash to plough into the future.

Our ambitions are greater than ever and our hearts are now not only set on developing a meaningfully different electric car, but also on solid-state batteries. The future we envisage is forcing Dyson to evolve quickly

We are in a global race and, as many have been so keen to point out, I am risking everything that we have built. I don’t have pots of other people’s money to play with. We are developing the best car we can, as quickly as we can, using entirely new technologies. I find the challenge exciting and am confident that a Dyson car will be on the road in 2021. It will be for others to judge whether we have done a good job of it.

We are not approaching this in the same way as our competitors. Rather than relying on the expertise of others and ‘off the shelf’ components, our car and its new-technology battery will be entirely designed by Dyson, manufactured by Dyson, and sold by Dyson. It is a highly complex and expensive engineering project, but we have amassed great manufacturing and operations knowledge over time in Singapore, and we have a motivated and ambitious global team there. Nevertheless the car will take £1.5bn and the batteries an additional billion. That is our own money.

In 2016 we bought Hullavington Airfield in Wiltshire. We have since restored it to be a world-class vehicle testing and prototyping campus, employing hundreds of people. Over the past years we have invested hundreds of millions in solid state battery development and we are the only people undertaking a project like this in the UK. We have begun construction of our largest factory yet for our car and a solid-state battery factory in Singapore.

Though Singapore has a comparatively high cost base, it also has great technology expertise meaning it is the right place to make a high quality, technology loaded, electric vehicle.

The most recent – and much discussed – decision is that of moving our Chief Legal Officer and Chief Financial Officer to Singapore to join our Chief Executive resulting in the movement of our head office. This has attracted attention, some very personal, but most missing the point entirely. It would be downright stupid to think we could build our own automotive manufacturing plant from scratch, procure billions of pounds worth of components, and establish new production methods for automotive and battery technology, while our management team sat 7,000 miles away with an eight hour time difference. That would be reckless.

Every pound of investment and employment we spend in Britain is a vote of confidence in Britain. We have built, from scratch, the Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology, a new university where the undergraduates are paid. It is nurturing the engineers who will form a vital part of our long-term future in the UK. We are very keen to establish driverless car testing ground in the UK and have been asking the government to sell us additional MoD land for some time.

The future is incredibly exciting, I accept that I may be ambitious to get there faster than some, but please don’t take it the wrong way: these are not the actions of a hypocrite but someone wanting to invest more in the UK post-Brexit, not less.

James Dyson

Full Article here.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...not-actions-hypocrite-determined-invest-post/

First Tim Martin publishing newspaper articles without authorisation and now you're at it. Must be a Brexiteer habit, tut, tut...

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
First Tim Martin publishing newspaper articles without authorisation and now you're at it. Must be a Brexiteer habit, tut, tut...

I didnt paste the whole article,......as per Bozzas request sometime ago not to paste a full article but only some and leave a link to the full work of the author, i omitted some lines, thats why at the end it says link to full article.
The same article is being quoted by the words in it on numerous sources today.
Would you prefer no one quoted sections of a press article and then a link to the artcile..........if we did that we would just end up with the same constant broken record drivel along the lines you come out with on nearly all your posts.......a constant moan of tories and nationalists........do you even like the EU?

But interesting you didnt wish to pick apart what he said and went straight for deflection onto something else

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So having just read the last few pages it seems that it is now becoming crystal clear

There is no economic case for Brexit
There is no sovereignty case for Brexit
There is no immigration case for Brexit
Companies are starting to flee abroad at a rate of knots
Leavers still don't know what they want

and we are left with the argument that the EU is going to turn into some sort of Orwellian fantasy ?

Don't forget, patience is a virtue :thumbsup:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I didnt paste the whole article,......as per Bozzas request sometime ago not to paste a full article but only some and leave a link to the full work of the author, i omitted some lines, thats why at the end it says link to full article.
The same article is being quoted by the words in it on numerous sources today.
Would you prefer no one quoted sections of a press article and then a link to the artcile..........if we did that we would just end up with the same constant broken record drivel along the lines you come out with on nearly all your posts.......a constant moan of tories and nationalists........do you even like the EU?

But interesting you didnt wish to pick apart what he said and went straight for deflection onto something else

OK, you've had to doctor the article, fair enough then, aside of Dyson's Torygraph attempt at a PR stunt.

Was the decision to move Dyson's HQ to out of Britain to Singapore, a positive for Britain? YES or NO, I know you like binary choices...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So having just read the last few pages it seems that it is now becoming crystal clear

There is no economic case for Brexit
There is no sovereignty case for Brexit
There is no immigration case for Brexit
Companies are starting to flee abroad at a rate of knots
Leavers still don't know what they want

and we are left with the argument that the EU is going to turn into some sort of Orwellian fantasy ?

Don't forget, patience is a virtue :thumbsup:

There is still blind hope, blue passports and fish...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This Brittany ferries thing is odd. Speaking to a mate taking his kids over to Normandy at Easter to visit their grandma and he got a mail saying that his booking had been cancelled and he should apply to his travel agent to get a refund on the costs he has had to incur.

The travel agent contacted him to say that were inundated with claims from people as the operators were not dealing direct with the public! And they would have to join the queue but as brexit is not an actual defined legal action, the ferry companies are not bound to pay anything back apart from the original ticket...so no compensation.

To be fair he doesn't need the money, but then again, he gets a mail from Brittany ferries saying that they could rebook later on in the year and they would keep the money he has paid against that future cost! I wond if they will use that as an excuse to hold off paying back tickets people had paid for.

We were supposed to be playing golf in Brittany in may and our travel agent has recommended looking elsewhere possibly in the uk.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
OK, you've had to doctor the article, fair enough then, aside of Dyson's Torygraph attempt at a PR stunt.

Was the decision to move Dyson's HQ to out of Britain to Singapore, a positive for Britain? YES or NO, I know you like binary choices...

You clearly dont unsterstand what the word doctored means .
Read his article yourself and make up your own mind. You dont need me to tell you what to think.
Have you not already passed judgement on it though since you call it a PR stunt in the torygraph? You dont therefore need my opinion to rant on.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So you say, but like deaths and taxes, one other certainty in life is that the EU doesn’t stand still on it’s journey to a fully federalised state. If anyone is in any doubt about an EU army, here it is in Guy Verhofstadt’s own words......

https://mobile.twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1062433746123739136?lang=en

A couple of points having views this clip.

1) He refers to a new Europe, a “sovereign” Europe, now to be “sovereign” ordinarily that’s a state with a single centralised Government. There’s no doubting what he means is there?

I know remainers love to deny facts but this one is as plain as the parting on his head. Member states can’t be sovereign in a sovereign Europe, so let’s start with the benefits of this new EU that Guy is extolling.........wots da beeg oydeeya?

2) His style at the rostrum, with that jerky arm movement.......I’m sure I’ve seen that before.......remind you of anyone?

What I find bizarre is previously remainers kept saying the plans for an EU army were a lie by the leave side - project fear if you like. Yet here we are with the EU planning an army. And not a single remainer has held their hands up and said 'oh, I was wrong'. I wonder what other remainer lies will be exposed over the coming months ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So you say, but like deaths and taxes, one other certainty in life is that the EU doesn’t stand still on it’s journey to a fully federalised state. If anyone is in any doubt about an EU army, here it is in Guy Verhofstadt’s own words......

https://mobile.twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1062433746123739136?lang=en

A couple of points having views this clip.

1) He refers to a new Europe, a “sovereign” Europe, now to be “sovereign” ordinarily that’s a state with a single centralised Government. There’s no doubting what he means is there?

I know remainers love to deny facts but this one is as plain as the parting on his head. Member states can’t be sovereign in a sovereign Europe, so let’s start with the benefits of this new EU that Guy is extolling.........wots da beeg oydeeya?

2) His style at the rostrum, with that jerky arm movement.......I’m sure I’ve seen that before.......remind you of anyone?

Trump. Well spotted.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What I find bizarre is previously remainers kept saying the plans for an EU army were a lie by the leave side - project fear if you like. Yet here we are with the EU planning an army. And not a single remainer has held their hands up and said 'oh, I was wrong'. I wonder what other remainer lies will be exposed over the coming months ?

How are they lies Westdene, they might be wrong in a prediction of the future, but unless you are crediting these people with some kind of time travel, aren't they just wrong rather than lies?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You clearly dont unsterstand what the word doctored means .
Read his article yourself and make up your own mind. You dont need me to tell you what to think.
Have you not already passed judgement on it though since you call it a PR stunt in the torygraph? You dont therefore need my opinion to rant on.

I'll take that as a NO....its not good for Britain Dyson moving his HQ to S'pore

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here