Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

larus

You sound like Wayne Rooney before a World Cup, and we all know how that ends. When you have grown up, come and talk strength of economy with your friendly German resident. I’ll show you what growth is.

Oh dear. You seem to want to alternate between Germany and the EU. This is a discussion about the EU - do keep up old chap. When you have something intelligent to add, let us know eh!.

Tick tock....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Daily Telegraph reporting that the U.K.’s proposal for the Irish border question is useless and unacceptable to the EU

Make ROI part of the UK, would that work? The lack of solutions from Brexiteers is leading me to blue sky thinking

D

Deleted member 22389

Make ROI part of the UK, would that work? The lack of solutions from Brexiteers is leading me to blue sky thinking

The only one putting up borders here is the EU. It proves what we say thou doesn't it, the EU doesn't listen and it doesn't want to change. 17M of us where not wrong.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Well, I know which group I think will generate higher economic growth in this century. And no, it's not the inward looking, protectionist EU. So many of the EU countries are basket cases 40% - 50% youth unemployment being a good example.

Which is why they don't want us to leave. They want us to keep propping them up.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I think it is more a case of us clever ones getting off at the last port of call,whilst you lot can stay and listen to the Berlin Phil. as the EUS Titanic sinks beneath the weight of it's debts,while 27 captains decide what to do!:lolol:

They'll all jump in the lifeboats and let the rest go down with it . Like you say glad we got off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh dear. You seem to want to alternate between Germany and the EU. This is a discussion about the EU - do keep up old chap. When you have something intelligent to add, let us know eh!.

Tick tock....

Maybe when you post something more balanced instead of the selective self-serving crap you normally do you can also let us know? Those figures you posted were laughably selective.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The vast majority of people who think this country is a bit s--- voted Leave. It's why they did.

Utter rubbish. The people that voted leave voted so because they think the EU is shit not the UK. Besides, two of the posters on this thread that keeping saying how shit the UK is - HT and Plooks - are remainers who ran away.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
At last. He agrees that Brexiteers are right (as they're not wrong). Another convert to the cause :lol:

Anyone else think he/she is still at school, or maybe just at college.

And still lives in th UK

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Utter rubbish. The people that voted leave voted so because they think the EU is shit not the UK. Besides, two of the posters on this thread that keeping saying how shit the UK is - HT and Plooks - are remainers who ran away.

Ran away? I merely moved to somewhere I liked. Surely a lot of people do this?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The mould was set last December the Tories just don't want to admit it to the Brexdreamists in their party. On we go...

Just read about the pie-in-the-sky Tory proposals. When I finish work today I’d like a few pints of what they’ve been drinking please :lolol: What clowns. Part of me thinks it might be deliberate, ie come up with an utterly ludicrous idea, EU rejects it, then blame the EU.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I've pretty much given up contributing to this thread. There is little point trying to debate with people whose basic fall-back position - and final retort in any debate which they aren't winning - is 'people who disagree with me on the EU are old, thick, right-wing, racist......and, err...wrong'. I do, however, pop in from time to time as it is rather amusing to read the desperate angst of some remainers (the ones who are really remoaners rather than remainers) and their outrage at being denied their entitlement.
But the last 24 hours have surpassed all previous efforts - the amount of desperate drivel in posts like the ones I've cited - wow, just wow!. Honestly, I haven't laughed so much since Liverpool put 9 past Palarse.
Please keep it up. I'll pop by for a chuckle now and again.

One thing that amuses me about Brexit supporters is the way they like to claim that people are calling them 'old, thick, right-wing, racist'. A good example above. Nowhere in the post being responded to did I remotely suggest any of these things. (I plead guilty to the charge that I think they are wrong.) Such comments don't represent my fall-back position or my final retort and just for the record I have gone through life with virtually no sense of entitlement at all.

It is in fact the case that 'level of education' is (along with age) one of the strongest indicators of how people voted in the referendum. A reasonable question is why.

Logic might suggest some correlation between level of education and 'interest and knowledge of politics' and I suppose you could argue that people who care less about politics might be more likely to accept some of the Leave campaign's snappier slogans. Iain Duncan Smith made an oblique reference to the politically-uninterested immediately after the result, dressing it up with some patronising stereotyping about 'people from the council estates'. I've no idea if this correlation applies so I make no claims.

So why did lower-educated people tend to vote Leave? For me, the most likely answer has something to do with the fact that people with fewer qualifications tend to have fewer opportunities as they go through their lives. They are more likely to feel trapped in whatever situation they are in. This may be true all the way from national level to the street corner - of the 30 council wards in the country with the lowest number of graduates, just two voted "remain'.

The referendum gave the people who feel most excluded from the prosperity of the country a perfect opportunity to whack the governing elite round the head. Obviously the Brexit elite and their enthusiastic supporters like to pretend that all these votes reflected some considered reaction to pan-national regulations and democratic deficits in the EU Commission but that, I suggest, is just rubbish. (I won't for a moment suggest that one of Brexit's most aggressive protagonists on this thread was fibbing when he said that every last person he knows who voted Leave told him they did so for reasons connected with parliamentary sovereignty, but his friends might have been.)

To a significant victory-clinching degree the referendum reflected the irritations of those English people who felt most ignored by the elite. They were offered the chance to to stick a finger in the air at Mr Cameron and all the other bubble-inhabitants and they took it.

Call these suggestions desperate drivel if that's how you like to conduct an argument but don't for one second suggest that I am calling leave voters thick. That is idle fantasy on your part.

And finally, just for the record, my own 'demographic' suggests that I should be a Leave voter. I patronise no one.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I quite liked ' desperate angst' haha. Theatrical much? Its good to see after the initial reports clearly suggested quite a lot of xenophobia, and racism connected with the vote, the Brexiteers 'Fall back position' is now, I was just against the EU bureaucracy.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
One group represents the world's largest progressive trading block

The other seems to use most of its energy into maintaining a rather bizarre existence, when the Queens goes probably time to knock it on the head to be honest

I know Junker and Barmier are a bit strange,but calling them Queens is a bit extreme.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
[MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] is also an out and out proven liar.

I should cut back on the sauce a bit Tubby.I bet you get some unexpected additions to your meals.:lolol:Nobody likes an unpleasant drunk.I see Great Britain's influence is still holding firm in Berlin,or didn't you know about the bomb shutting down the Hauptbahnhof?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I quite liked ' desperate angst' haha. Theatrical much? Its good to see after the initial reports clearly suggested quite a lot of xenophobia, and racism connected with the vote, the Brexiteers 'Fall back position' is now, I was just against the EU bureaucracy.

One Leave debater on here once suggested that the proof that no one voted Out for because of racism was an opinion poll that showed zero numbers of respondents citing 'Because I am a racist' as their reason for voting as they did. People with 'poor' reasons for voting out - xenophobia for example - will inevitably respectable-sounding ones.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here