Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Exactly. That's what I said. You believe in Project Fear. Fair enough, you're entitled to have that opinion.

You dont think that leaving without making trading arrangements would cost jobs, and leave UK based airlines in limbo?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I know some sections of the press and a few Remainers are desperate to question the legitimacy of the referendum and willing to believe anything but ...

In two news articles last week (“Revealed: the ties that bound Canadian data firm to Leave campaign in referendum” and “Brexit insider claims Vote Leave team ‘may have broken law’”), we are happy to clarify that we did not intend to suggest that AggregateIQ is a direct part and/or the Canadian branch of Cambridge Analytica, or that it has been involved in the exploitation of Facebook data, or otherwise been involved in any of the alleged wrongdoing made against Cambridge Analytica. Further, we did not intend to suggest that AIQ secretly and unethically co-ordinated with Cambridge Analytica on the EU referendum. We are happy to make clear that AggregateIQ is and has always been 100% Canadian owned and operated.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/31/for-the-record-observer-corrections

Numerous Front/main page tinfoilhattery bigging up the story .. followed by corrections buried on page 50. This is what's known as getting ahead of the story/conspiracyitas.

Who owns it is irrelevant, what they did and who for is the issue. You are fond of stating that the outcome of free and fair elections should be respected, but what if it was not fair?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Sorry,but are you suggesting that trade with the EU (including the Eurozone) will cease altogether?I know we aren't buying so many of their polluting cars,but I can't see your point at all.

No, I'm not suggesting that at all. Trade deals exist to make commerce more efficient, profitable and prolific. It is why we have them, and aspire to have more. The Brexit Ultras are happy for us to have a no-deal departure from the EU but even if there is a deal (as is likely) all sides agree that it will be worse than the one we currently have as a member. We are therefore faced with the prospect of either a no-deal with the EU, or a worse-deal. Either will need replacing with something else, which is why Fox is clocking up the air miles. A deal with Australia could well be the first one over the line. It will be tiny compared to the EU one we are planning to dilute or destroy and it seems likely that its terms will seriously damage British agriculture. I wondered what are the views of posters on here.

That was my point.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No, I'm not suggesting that at all. Trade deals exist to make commerce more efficient, profitable and prolific. It is why we have them, and aspire to have more. The Brexit Ultras are happy for us to have a no-deal departure from the EU but even if there is a deal (as is likely) all sides agree that it will be worse than the one we currently have as a member. We are therefore faced with the prospect of either a no-deal with the EU, or a worse-deal. Either will need replacing with something else, which is why Fox is clocking up the air miles. A deal with Australia could well be the first one over the line. It will be tiny compared to the EU one we are planning to dilute or destroy and it seems likely that its terms will seriously damage British agriculture. I wondered what are the views of posters on here.

That was my point.

Still don't see what you're getting at.We produce our own cane sugar,and also export,so we have more than enough.Why would the Aussies ship sugar here when they already sell what they grow to asian countries?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Who owns it is irrelevant, what they did and who for is the issue. You are fond of stating that the outcome of free and fair elections should be respected, but what if it was not fair?

Which is why the 'or that it has been involved in the exploitation of Facebook data, or otherwise been involved in any of the alleged wrongdoing made against Cambridge Analytica.' clarification is important.

We already know it wasn't 'fair'. Remain had the government machine behind them, big business, European and international establishment and they spent more than double the amount Leave did in pushing their line. Still cocked it up though.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Still don't see what you're getting at.We produce our own cane sugar,and also export,so we have more than enough.Why would the Aussies ship sugar here when they already sell what they grow to asian countries?

Lincolnshire beet farmers fear cane sugar dumping from warm climate producers and a closing of intra-EU markets for their own products. That's the beef. Well actually it isn't. The beef is another issue for British farmers.

PS I'm sorry, but to the best of my knowledge we do not produce cane sugar for either home consumption or export. Please provide details: as ever I am prepared to concede if I am wrong.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Probably best to wait and see what the reduction in trade with the EU will be (assuming it happens) before judging what trade deals would compensate for any supposed loss.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Probably best to wait and see what the reduction in trade with the EU will be (assuming it happens) before judging what trade deals would compensate for any supposed loss.

Well I just hope our Official Brexiteers aren't intending to conclude trade negotiations with the EU without considering the likelihood of striking alternative commercial deals.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Still don't see what you're getting at.We produce our own cane sugar

You’re just proving my point that mental spastics like you should not be allowed to travel or vote. What on earth were you thinking when you typed that? (The smart money is on nothing) Or was your brain addled from all the booze you consumed with your best friend the 15 year old Bryan Robson?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
On the practical economic side of the Brexit debate (which for most people on here, remainers and leavers alike, isn't the only one) the point made here is key. It is very hard to see where replacement deals will come from - and even when they come how they can replace what we have already. Take Australia, often seen as the first country a post-Brexit Britain will strike a deal with, as an example. Its potential trade with the UK is a fraction of the EU's of course - it's currently not even a quarter of our trade with Italy. And what will that trade look like? "Success here is measured by how much success we get in beef and sheep" says the man in Canberra. Too right - as a Welsh sheep farmer said last week: "A deal with Australia won't effing help me." And sugar. The output of Australian cane farmers will be on the boats the day after any deal is struck. British Sugar will be in serious trouble, along with the thousands of British farmers whose output it uses. Before the referendum the huge sugar beet farms round my sister's village in north Lincolnshire were peppered with Vote Leave signs. Unless they get vast subsidies from the government and/or the deal with Australia is restricted to Holdens and boomerangs there will be different signs round those farms soon.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I'm no expert. But I just can't see how a deal with Australia can mean anything but serious problems for British agriculture. Can anyone on here offer a different scenario?

And Australia is just one example.

Same with New Zealand (Smaller economy than Romania) and Welsh sheep farmers.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Same with New Zealand (Smaller economy than Romania) and Welsh sheep farmers.

It is interesting that a mildly-posed question asking which countries might provide trade deals to compensate for the dilution/demolition of our current arrangements with the EU has attracted (a) a red herring that I am suggesting we won't have any trade at all with the EU in future and (b) a mysterious claim about the UK's burgeoning cane sugar industry. Oh, and JC saying we shouldn't really talk about this sort of thing until we know exactly what deal we have or haven't cracked up with the EU.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Lincolnshire beet farmers fear cane sugar dumping from warm climate producers and a closing of intra-EU markets for their own products. That's the beef. Well actually it isn't. The beef is another issue for British farmers.

PS I'm sorry, but to the best of my knowledge we do not produce cane sugar for either home consumption or export. Please provide details: as ever I am prepared to concede if I am wrong.

Sorry for that.I think all the air pollution from these disgusting German diesel cars might have temporarily affected my brain!Sugar is sugar,but if you can tell the difference between one sort or another i will concede you are an expert.The fact still remains that we produce more than enough sugar of our own,and despite your best attempts at diversion,you still haven't answered why the Aussies would give up their customers and ship us a product we don't need.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

You'll be disappointed with that one :lolol:

But cheer up, at least you haven't made a complete tit of yourself

Still don't see what you're getting at.We produce our own cane sugar,

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You’re just proving my point that mental spastics like you should not be allowed to travel or vote. What on earth were you thinking when you typed that? (The smart money is on nothing) Or was your brain addled from all the booze you consumed with your best friend the 15 year old Bryan Robson?

Oh dear Tubby,you having another meltdown?Trying to draw attention away from your little rant about not feeling safe in the UK,when you should be more worried about mentally ill people in the Reich?I do feel your choice of insults this time might be upsetting to your allies, like that mental spastic who believes it is in Japan,or the one that knows many politicians,none of whom are stupid.I see you have your mobile back as you have given yourself a like.Must be you as none of the other droolers are on-line!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You'll be disappointed with that one :lolol:

But cheer up, at least you haven't made a complete tit of yourself

Ah I spoke too soon,the droolers are gathering.:lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It is interesting that a mildly-posed question asking which countries might provide trade deals to compensate for the dilution/demolition of our current arrangements with the EU has attracted (a) a red herring that I am suggesting we won't have any trade at all with the EU in future and (b) a mysterious claim about the UK's burgeoning cane sugar industry. Oh, and JC saying we shouldn't really talk about this sort of thing until we know exactly what deal we have or haven't cracked up with the EU.

Is that the EU including the Eurozone,just to clarify things?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh dear Tubby,you having another meltdown?Trying to draw attention away from your little rant about not feeling safe in the UK,when you should be more worried about mentally ill people in the Reich?I do feel your choice of insults this time might be upsetting to your allies, like that mental spastic who believes it is in Japan,or the one that knows many politicians,none of whom are stupid.I see you have your mobile back as you have given yourself a like.Must be you as none of the other droolers are on-line!

UK sugar cane :lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Still no respomse on why a blue passport works betrer than a red one. Heads in the sand from the snowflake brexit crew as usual.

I think I may have found a response you will understand,particularly as it appears,by its use of colourful language,to have been written by a sour kraut.

more sour kraut.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here