View Poll Results: Is Theresa May is out of her depth?

Voters
636. You may not vote on this poll
  • She doesn't know what she is doing

449 70.60%
  • She knows exactly what she is doing

187 29.40%
Page 6987 of 7209 FirstFirst ... 598764876887693769776984698569866987698869896990699770377087 ... LastLast
Results 69,861 to 69,870 of 72087
    Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cunning fergus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, these malign foreign state actors are definitely a problem........

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...eripaska-corfu

Mr Deripaska is currently a sanctioned individual by the US Treasury due to his close relationship with Putin (among other things) but not by HMT or the EU........which is weird right?
    Disgraceful rather than weird. And Putin's puppet in the Whitehouse is now trying to drop the US sanctions as well. Until we fight back and sanction the lot of Putin's cronies, nothing will change and we will keep losing the hybrid war.
    Last edited by Blue Valkyrie; 11-01-2019 at 08:12.
    Out of contract June 2019 : Bruno, Bong, Hemed, Towell ( 1 further year option ).

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      What drives people is peace and prosperity. The integration of the former Iron Curtain countries into 'The West', the arrival of the internet, improved automation of production, the expansion of budget airlines have all contributed to an increase in the size of the marketplace for our goods and services.

This is not "Tory" ideology, this is technology and pan-European political will. Regardless of who is in power these forces will always be at work. Corbyn's failure to recognise the EU as a force for good in a changing world is a catastrophe for both the Labour Party and the UK.

Sure, there is a lot there which is reasonable, overall I think that the westernisation of central and Eastern Europe is a good thing and as those countries develop, and technology etc. that should be positive. As should continued economic growth for those countries and those in the west.

Nevertheless, this expansion of the EU has happened and continues to happen remote to the citizens of the EU. When we joined the EEC it was 6/7 countries, the expansion and consequences of expansion occurred without any democratic mandate as far as I can tell? When Poland and other A8 countries joined U.K. voters were told that about 15,000 Poles would come and work.......another great forecast from the Govt of the day.

Peace and prosperity in the West is rooted in a nation’s trust that it’s Govt and institutions are acting in the interests of its citizens, and sadly we are seeing that break down in the west generally and the U.K. I’m sure all those MEPs and the hundreds of thousands employed through the organs of the European project think they are a force for good, but they are not. The rise of non mainstream political parties in Europe indicates the project isn’t working for its citizens. The EU taking punitive action against democratically elected Govts for not acting in accordance with EU “values” (whatever they are) is not helping either.

There is more trouble ahead, Brexit is a mere hors d‘oeuvre for the future problems that will befall the EU.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue Valkyrie View Post
      Disgraceful rather than weird. And Putin's puppet in the Whitehouse is now trying to drop the US sanctions as well. Until we fight back and sanction the lot of Putin's cronies, nothing will change and we will keep losing the hybrid war.
      When you have friends in high places, you have contacts in high places.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...ions-j6fx390wj

As I understand it, Deripaska has sold his majority interests and is off the boards of his US sanctioned businesses, however despite U.K. Govt overtures Deripaska will remain on the OFAC list for the foreseeable. The conduct of the U.K. and EU in this case is mind boggling.......I’m sure someone will amble along a some point to straighten this out.

Here’s an article worth a read when the Independent was a trustworthy journal.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ks-973817.html

0 Not allowed!
      I’m with you to a point, however if you think that Queen Brenda has the same power as old soaky Juncker you are in need of education.

As for leaders of U.K. political parties people can join and influence; how can I do that with Juncker?
      Juncker is stepping down this year, and not standing for another term.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      Juncker is stepping down this year, and not standing for another term.

Will his successor get voted in by the EU electorate?

0 Not allowed!
      Sure, there is a lot there which is reasonable, overall I think that the westernisation of central and Eastern Europe is a good thing and as those countries develop, and technology etc. that should be positive. As should continued economic growth for those countries and those in the west.

Nevertheless, this expansion of the EU has happened and continues to happen remote to the citizens of the EU. When we joined the EEC it was 6/7 countries, the expansion and consequences of expansion occurred without any democratic mandate as far as I can tell? When Poland and other A8 countries joined U.K. voters were told that about 15,000 Poles would come and work.......another great forecast from the Govt of the day.

Peace and prosperity in the West is rooted in a nation’s trust that it’s Govt and institutions are acting in the interests of its citizens, and sadly we are seeing that break down in the west generally and the U.K. I’m sure all those MEPs and the hundreds of thousands employed through the organs of the European project think they are a force for good, but they are not. The rise of non mainstream political parties in Europe indicates the project isn’t working for its citizens. The EU taking punitive action against democratically elected Govts for not acting in accordance with EU “values” (whatever they are) is not helping either.

There is more trouble ahead, Brexit is a mere hors d‘oeuvre for the future problems that will befall the EU.
      I would like to know more about the punitive action taken. I thought it applied to countries using the euro, and economy, but would be genuinely interested in hearing about anything else.

You mentioned TTIP, in an earlier post, and that was a concern for me before the referendum, but equally, as I see it, this government is running down the NHS to such an extent to privatise it via the back door.
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!

0 Not allowed!
      Will his successor get voted in by the EU electorate?
      No, by MEPs, in the same way as I have no influence in who is selected as Prime Minister.
      You didn't say the head of the EU, but mentioned Juncker as an individual.

0 Not allowed!
      I would like to know more about the punitive action taken. I thought it applied to countries using the euro, and economy, but would be genuinely interested in hearing about anything else.

You mentioned TTIP, in an earlier post, and that was a concern for me before the referendum, but equally, as I see it, this government is running down the NHS to such an extent to privatise it via the back door.

Sure, Poland is on the road to being stripped of its voting rights under article 7. Hungary and the Visegrad countries are also on that path.

https://www.politico.eu/article/euro...voting-rights/

Italy was recently criticised with its budget and the Commission demanded change, yet France has not met EU budget rules for years and never had its budget amended.

As you will know EU trade deals are conducted by the commission far from public scrutiny, a situation that would not happen here.......there was enough information for some legal minds to express concerns......

https://www.theguardian.com/business...nhs-leading-qc

Corbyn, rightly said he would have wrecked it....

https://www.politico.eu/article/jere...dum-labour-uk/

0 Not allowed!
      No, by MEPs, in the same way as I have no influence in who is selected as Prime Minister.

Yes, but Juncker is head of the EU arm that creates the laws and generally administers to EU. Of all the arms,, his and the EU commissioners should be accountable to the electorate.

The EU Parliament has no effective opposition, it is unaccountable to its constituencies in the same way MPs in HOP are, which for all its current faults offers the electorate a more direct form of democracy.

You are right that you don’t vote in a PM, but you do have a vote in an election on their party, and you can have a say on their selection if you are a member of a political party.

None of that applies to the head of the commission.
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      You can join the Tory or Labour party and get a vote on the leader of your party and therefore the PM. Which organisation, as a normal citizen, can I join to get a vote on the head of the EU ?
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."