Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Interesting one of them anyway, getting slated by the looks. BMW advising there will be 18000+ job loses if it a no deal

All in Germany, they are pressuring Merkel. Other big firms also joining in 150k jobs at risk if no deal to the great German empire. All to do with loss of exports

There will certainly be a negative impact on the EU if Britain go 'no deal'. Where is this being reported at the moment?

Sorry, maybe you missed my question earlier. Where are these being reported ?

Looks like Japanese businesses based in the UK have joined the throng of warnings

https://www.chathamhouse.org/expert/comment/japan-lays-out-guide-brexit?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkI-T5Jzs3QIV4bDtCh2HZgtCEAAYASAAEgKjOvD_BwE

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Re Sunderland. Many prominent leavers such as Daniel Hannan said that no one was talking about leaving the single market and customs union. The people saying that a vote to leave would cause this remainers and therefore project fear. So warnings were dismissed. Amazing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/peoplesvote_hq/status/799198320623321088/video/1

This is an extract from a 2018 article on a suburb of Middlesbrough that voted 83% in favour of Brexit. I know we get very angry (mainly with each other) on this thread but to me this comes across as rather sad and something you can't just dismiss easily:

Ian Perkins, 62, is another Brexit supporter not experiencing buyers’ remorse.
He is minding his wife’s store - Grace’s Craft Shop - while she is in hospital receiving treatment for cancer.
“I voted to leave because I wanted more money for the NHS,” he says. “I voted Leave so if it goes wrong you can blame me.
“I don’t regret it. I thought what we had wasn’t working so we should try something different. There are no jobs here and we just get ignored.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Meanwhile, yet another grim Brexit scenario.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...s-says-bad-brexit-could-tip-uk-into-recession

I really can't see where May got her 'end of austerity' in late 2019 promise from. Even if Brexit conforms to her Chequers model (if you like the least worse case), there's no projections that I know of that indicate any sort of surge in economic growth. Indeed, the opposite seems the case.

If I'm right then there's a bit of an irony here: May's attack on Labour is largely about their fiscal irresponsibility. I think it was a case of a desperate PM trying to give some good news and 'lever the Leavers' in her own party. It got a good round of applause but there's no substance in it.

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
To be fair, he is the face of Europe that made me *think* about voting leave. I didn't.

He is an ultra europhile. He doesn't want an extension there will never be another vote. I suspect he has already been told to shut the #### up by his calmer colleagues.

He's always been known as an anglophile, a regular visitor with hobby of racing old British sports cars and a decidedly British sense of humour. I suppose the don't-tangle-with-us arrogance of the current British government and its supporters is enough to test anyone's anglophilia these days.

D

Deleted member 22389

Can't stand the way our companies have sold out to the highest bidders over the years, and I can't stand the way our useless governments have let it happen.
Hopefully Brexit is the push to start manufacturing more products in this country again.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can't stand the way our companies have sold out to the highest bidders over the years, and I can't stand the way our useless governments have let it happen.
Hopefully Brexit is the push to start manufacturing more products in this country again.

Yeah, great time to be walking away from the world's biggest single market.....

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

In what way do you feel Brexit will help British manufacturing?

The opposite might be true - there is a strong strain of thought on the MoggJohnson wing of the Conservative party that Britain's economic future should evolve along what is sometimes called Singaporean lines, with light regulations, open borders and low (or no) tariffs with the rest of the world. The archdeacon of hard-Brexit economics, our friendly professor from Cardiff, says that this hard Brexit model will lead to the virtual elimination of British manufacturing but this isn't something that should worry us.

I am sorry, but this is what you seem to have voted for.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

WTF :shrug:

You may as well say 'Hopefully Brexit will make me a millionaire, put Piers Morgan in jail for life and make Albion champions of Europe'.

There's a similar amount of evidence :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 22389

In what way do you feel Brexit will help British manufacturing?

The opposite might be true - there is a strong strain of thought on the MoggJohnson wing of the Conservative party that Britain's economic future should evolve along what is sometimes called Singaporean lines, with light regulations, open borders and low (or no) tariffs with the rest of the world. The archdeacon of hard-Brexit economics, our friendly professor from Cardiff, says that this hard Brexit model will lead to the virtual elimination of British manufacturing but this isn't something that should worry us.

I am sorry, but this is what you seem to have voted for.

I see Gtech is bringing some of it's manufacturing back to the UK, and there are other stories of some manufacturers coming back. We also really need to get out of this mindset that we can't do anything without the EU. We can do lots of things.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I see Gtech is bringing some of it's manufacturing back to the UK, and there are other stories of some manufacturers coming back. We also really need to get out of this mindset that we can't do anything without the EU. We can do lots of things.

Well put some links up to these stories that you are reading, that are making you so positive. You are the one moaning that it's all doom and gloom.

Give us some positive Brexit news

D

Deleted member 22389

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Thank you.

Two of the three links are about Gtech announcing back in Feb that they will be bringing some assembly back from China and maybe increasing it's workforce by 50% from 200 to 300.

For me, it's not enough to really offset all the multi-nationals currently moving, planning or threatening to go the other way, but it is good news :thumbsup:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I see Gtech is bringing some of it's manufacturing back to the UK, and there are other stories of some manufacturers coming back.

I am not sure the links you have posted are examples of Brexit resulting in UK manufacturing increasing, rather some relatively minor aspects of UK manufacturing potentially increasing regardless of Brexit.

I would be very surprised if any manufactures are thinking at the moment they should move/set up in the UK because of Brexit, mainly because no one knows what Brexit will actually be, so how can they make a decision based on something they don't know?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why are you so rude to me all the time.
Because your posts are always absolutely ridiculous.

You whinge about "doom and gloom", yet you are challenged to provide evidence of a feel good news story, so you post 3 links - two are the same thing and none of them have got anything to do with Brexit.

You post this sort of shit constantly.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Yes, Gtech announced six months ago that it was bringing 100 manufacturing jobs back from China but this was not a consequence of Brexit and I don't know how many others have followed its lead. I accept that you didn't intend to deflect but you haven't addressed the main point of the post you were responding to. That point was that Patrick Minford, ally of and adviser to Mogg and the ERG group, believes that the worldwide tariff-lite model favoured by many hard Brexiters will lead to the virtual elimination of British manufacturing. And that it isn't anything that should concern us.

My view is that anything approaching a hard Brexit is more likely to damage British manufacturing than support it. I may be wrong. If you disagree please tell me why.

On your second point, I am not sure who takes the view that we can't do anything without the EU. The Germans don't think that way, nor do the French. As is so often the case, Brexiters seem to blame others for our home-grown inadequacies. (Our failure, for example, to export more to South Africa has nothing to do with the EU. In fact, our EU membership has made it easier. How on earth can tearing up our present trade agreement with South Africa and hoping to replace it with something else be helpful? That's what we're about to do.)

Forgive me if I misinterpret you, but I think that you and I might agree on quite a few things. Our differences lie in who we think is responsible for our problems.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here