Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
DUP have thrown their toys out the pram without seeing/understanding the full picture.

That's what they do.

They have a particular repeated cry of "no special status" and "total equivalency with the rest of the UK" currently, until someone suggests various bits of England&Wales, Scottish or both legislation they don't like. Then there's an absolute need to "respect our unique culture".

There was a honestly pretty pointless and very petty push by Nationalist politicians to change the days that City Hall in Belfast flew the Union Flag a few years ago - to total equivalence with other City Halls in the UK. Five years later there are still protesters wanting special status!

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I think I'd actually have a modicum of respect for Theresa May if she just turned up outside No10 soon, stood in front of that lectern, and said she couldn't do this as her party (and its partners) won't let her. Then she quits, saying she can't put the nation through what they want and goes on her merry way...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The joy of being in opposition...

John McDonnell: we must leave the single market to respect the referendum result

Tom Watson: we should stay in the single market and customs union permanently

Jon Ashworth, Jenny Chapman: we have to leave the single market

Diane Abbott: we should keep freedom of movement

Jeremy Corbyn, Keir Starmer: freedom of movement ends with Brexit

Barry Gardiner: staying in the customs union would be a disaster

Corbyn: whipped vote against single market and customs union membership

Starmer: we should stay in the single market and customs union (which means keeping free movement)

Starmer himself is all over the place, both arguing freedom of movement should end and also saying we should stay in the single market, an outcome which is not possible. Corbyn whipped his MPs to vote against single market and customs union membership – he even sacked rebels on this – now Labour’s Brexit Secretary says it is party policy. This shambles is just the among the Shadow Cabinet, let alone backbenchers…

You're worried about the shadow cabinet when the actual cabinet is even more mixed up and contradictory than this! :laugh:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The joy of being in opposition...

John McDonnell: we must leave the single market to respect the referendum result

Tom Watson: we should stay in the single market and customs union permanently

Jon Ashworth, Jenny Chapman: we have to leave the single market

Diane Abbott: we should keep freedom of movement

Jeremy Corbyn, Keir Starmer: freedom of movement ends with Brexit

Barry Gardiner: staying in the customs union would be a disaster

Corbyn: whipped vote against single market and customs union membership

Starmer: we should stay in the single market and customs union (which means keeping free movement)

Starmer himself is all over the place, both arguing freedom of movement should end and also saying we should stay in the single market, an outcome which is not possible. Corbyn whipped his MPs to vote against single market and customs union membership – he even sacked rebels on this – now Labour’s Brexit Secretary says it is party policy. This shambles is just the among the Shadow Cabinet, let alone backbenchers…

Finger on the pulse

Because this is definitely a left / right thing :facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you suffer from dissociative identity disorder?Genuine question,any of you can answer.

:lolol: Now, you’re a bit thick. And I just know you Googled what I posted and found this. I doubt you could even follow the Wikipedia entry.

I’ve got to dash now. Do your little bit where you come up with some moronic last word.....I just know you’re itching to. And then we can both call it a day.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So, in short you’re ****ed?

Rather amusing that some are calling for a cross-party approach to Brexit :D

You're worried about the shadow cabinet when the actual cabinet is even more mixed up and contradictory than this! :laugh:

Finger on the pulse

Because this is definitely a left / right thing :facepalm:

It is merely an observation that, despite some posters claims to the contrary, it would not necessarily be a 'good thing' for Corbyn to be in charge right now.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Fortunately the dup were there to prevent the break up of the uk - what were they thinking in agreeing to different rules for 1 part over another. That would suit jimmy cranky & sadiq no end

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is merely an observation that, despite some posters claims to the contrary, it would not necessarily be a 'good thing' for Corbyn to be in charge right now.

Brexit is not a good thing period. You're effectively talking about who can take the best shit.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
:lolol: Now, you’re a bit thick. And I just know you Googled what I posted and found this. I doubt you could even follow the Wikipedia entry.

I’ve got to dash now. Do your little bit where you come up with some moronic last word.....I just know you’re itching to. And then we can both call it a day.

Typical Remoaner,don't answer a question posted,after I answered yours in full,throw in an insult or two,then go and hide in your safe place.I dare say one of your other identities will be on soon to back you up,but we are all getting wise to it now.You call me thick,but you're the thicko who still has to work.:lolol:

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I think I'd actually have a modicum of respect for Theresa May if she just turned up outside No10 soon, stood in front of that lectern, and said she couldn't do this as her party (and its partners) won't let her. Then she quits, saying she can't put the nation through what they want and goes on her merry way...

Was thinking exactly the same earlier. I’m baffled as to what’s in it for her now. She’s lost all credibility but has the opportunity to leave with some dignity, hopefully sacking some of her idiot ministers just before she goes and putting two fingers up to the DUP.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Typical Remoaner,don't answer a question posted,after I answered yours in full,throw in an insult or two,then go and hide in your safe place.I dare say one of your other identities will be on soon to back you up,but we are all getting wise to it now.You call me thick,but you're the thicko who still has to work.:lolol:

HT nailed it :lolol:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
reading what Irish PM has said, giving more context on the proposed outcomes for IE/NI relations, its very much more in favour of the UK than it first appears:

i dont know who could complain with that, either there was some other unreported change or the DUP have thrown their toys out the pram without seeing/understanding the full picture. if there's no agreement id expect some sort of concession be made between Ireland and NI. it also looks to me that the negotiations are more conducive than the public projection, with the option for free trade right up there. and this correlates with what Davis has said in the House this afternoon.

So you're saying the solution is that the UK should retain a single market/customs union with Ireland only? But not the rest of the EU? I see why the Breximpletons would be down with this.....It's ok to have freedom of movement with Ireland cos they're basically British anyway right? Those Poles can still **** off though, no room at the Inn!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You call me thick,but you're the thicko who still has to work.:lolol:

You are retired because you’re old, not because you’re ****ing Einstein.

And what has this got to do with anything? It’s a bit of a random statement.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Germany calling, germany calling! I see the stripe of 'Nazism' is still putting in his two penny worth.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So you're saying the solution is that the UK should retain a single market/customs union with Ireland only? But not the rest of the EU? I see why the Breximpletons would be down with this.....It's ok to have freedom of movement with Ireland cos they're basically British anyway right? Those Poles can still **** off though, no room at the Inn!

im saying that the reported deal was offering possible options that were quite loose and open to interpretation or change later. the remarks by Davis indicate this wasn't confined to Ireland, so what we have is an agreement that lists some future options, details to be discussed later (when it moves on to trade).

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
im saying that the reported deal was offering possible options that were quite loose and open to interpretation or change later.

Which of the three options is the best one? Free trade with open borders seems like a good option but I found it kind of funny that we might push for a deal where we have free trade/open borders with one member of the EU, but not the others. Just because we share a land border with this particular member and basically speak the same language and have similar cultures. It reeks of double standards and latent racism to me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Which of the three options is the best one?

im going with free and open trade, though its irrelevant at this stage. the point is they provide some options that UK, Ireland and EU accept, while not actually agree a solution at this stage. now we move on to trade negotiations where an agreement (hopefully the first option) can be agreed with all memebers. if there is no agreement there's a fall back position, yes, because of a unique situation with Ireland we'll seek a unique solution, for pragmatism no racism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here