Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
So all this time that we're struggling to find out what Brexit will look like, you're sitting there with a copy of the eventual trade deal. Come on then, tell us what the deal is.

We will get the deal that a top-tier economy gives to a second-tier economy, because that is what we voted to become. It’s how the world is: nothing personal, just business. Surely you didn’t expect it to be anything else?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be fair, I read engineering at university, and many people on the same course (including myself to a certain extent) did nothing except doss about...

But only some of us are idiots... :thumbsup:

Which engineering course did you do? My other half did mechanical engineering.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really? But [MENTION=5729]sir albion[/MENTION] seems to think it is because all our engineers are idiots who did nothing at university except doss about and join loony left sympathising groups, yet here's you telling us that it is because all our highly skilled engineers are already taken.

Two conflicting "working class" views as to why Dyson aren't recruiting in the UK then. Which to believe? I'll leave it to middle-income IT man and voice of the peeeple [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION] to inform us all of the correct answer, seeing as he behaves as if he is the one person on the internet who is allowed to speak for all British working classes.

I think some of our posters aren't aware that Dyson moved the production of goods to Malaysia over 16 years ago. It was nothing to do with the quality of our operatives or engineers but that wages are 30% cheaper.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2860995/Dyson-production-moves-to-Malaysia.html

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ask Theresa May if she has signed up to the Customs Union, and Free Market. That will tell you.
How will that tell us what happens after 29th March? We don't know yet. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We will get the deal that a top-tier economy gives to a second-tier economy, because that is what we voted to become. It’s how the world is: nothing personal, just business. Surely you didn’t expect it to be anything else?
Is the deal Singapore and the EU have signed indicative of one a top-tier economy gives to a second-tier economy? But you're another of those claiming to know exactly what the deal will be, so please go ahead and say exactly what it'll be.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Which engineering course did you do? My other half did mechanical engineering.

Civil - hence the beer can bridges...

Was always of great amusement to us that if you looked under "Boring" in the Yellow Pages at the time (anyone remember them?), the entry simply read: "See: Civil Engineering"*

*Yes, we were easily pleased.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The arguement for an EU army is entirely different to one being on the cards. Remainers KEPT saying it was a lie yet only a handful of months after the Bexit vote what happens ? France and Germany suggest it as a way forward. Remainers clearly didn't know what they were voting for.

The pros and cons of an EU army have been debated on this thread already. But to summarise for you little Plooks, I'm against it for a number of reasons :

a. NATO is a far more powerful military force and has kept the peace in Europe for decades.
b. Unlike NATO an EU army would be under the control of the EU not individual countries.
c. It's the next step to an EU Superstate - appoint an EU Defence Minister to run this EU army and hey presto you're very near being a super state.

There's loads more but I'll let you read back on this thread to find out.

Correct me , but didn't the Germans and French discuss a joined up thinking statement of a combined security force after POTUS said that NATO is dead and the US were fed up of paying for it.

It seems sensible that with our friend Putin flexing his naked torso, the EU needs to review all its options.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Certainly if we were:

a) To leave the EU
b) The EU went ahead with an EU Army and
c) The US President pulled out of NATO and concluded a treaty with the EU Army then that would certainly make things interesting, especially with us being a nuclear power and all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How will that tell us what happens after 29th March? We don't know yet. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

At the moment, all we know is what May has put in front of Parliament. That doesn't include a customs union.
If that is rejected then who knows?

Why would I be deliberately obtuse?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Civil - hence the beer can bridges...

Was always of great amusement to us that if you looked under "Boring" in the Yellow Pages at the time (anyone remember them?), the entry simply read: "See: Civil Engineering"*

*Yes, we were easily pleased.

Yes, that was a standing joke amongst all engineering students.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Correct me , but didn't the Germans and French discuss a joined up thinking statement of a combined security force after POTUS said that NATO is dead and the US were fed up of paying for it.

It seems sensible that with our friend Putin flexing his naked torso, the EU needs to review all its options.

I suspect Trumps statements didn't help but let's be honest, he is unlikely to win the race next year and even if he did then he's around for a further four years maximum. NATO isn't going to collapse in that time and any sane POTUS isn't really going to abandon NATO.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Most of our bridge models were made from empty beer cans...

Were you ever in the Royal Engineers?Most of our bridge building was fuelled on emptying beer cans.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
None of those are reasons not to or a bad thing.

How about if NATO are confronting Russian movements against the Baltic states,and the EU want their army to invade Greece for defaulting on German debt repayments?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No more chance than being called up to the UK one. Do not see your point.

You know this for sure do you ? The UK doesn't have national service but 6 of the other 27 members do and France is looking at re-introducing it. I'm too old to be called up but good luck Plooks ..... I've sure you'll survive !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here