Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
I have been out doing things.

I don't know, because it's not an area that interests me. Maybe this person knows more

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1025399/Brexit-news-Jean-Claude-Juncker-UK-EU-no-deal-plane-landing-latest

You asked me what would happen, in the event of a 'no deal' and I explained to you. You didn't have an answer to any of the points i raised so you then went off at a tangent on flights :shrug:

I notice you haven't explained how you think goods would be handled through Dover ?
https://www.ukcontactnumber.org/uk-border-agency-contact-number/
SPOKEN TO THEM YET ? …………………….. thought not :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Last edited:

southstandnick

Aug 20, 2012
For flights from our own government
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-to-and-from-the-uk-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Anyone who is still awake at the end of reading that might deduce that when we leave with No-Deal the very next thing we need to start doing is making deals. Which all seems pretty dam stupid.

So lets make a deal before we leave, or even better remain and keep all the deals that have taken over 50 years to fine tune in place.

Jan 30, 2008
For flights from our own government
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-to-and-from-the-uk-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Anyone who is still awake at the end of reading that might deduce that when we leave with No-Deal the very next thing we need to start doing is making deals. Which all seems pretty dam stupid.

So lets make a deal before we leave, or even better remain and keep all the deals that have taken over 50 years to fine tune in place.
it's a done deal on the 29th of march, that's all you need to concentrate on, common agricultural policy to EU Dictatorship , no thanks
regards
DR

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think this is saying that the Swiss Federal Council believes that the UK is able to novate its WTO schedules from an EU-wide to a UK-only perspective and would therefore be able to trade under WTO rules when it has committed to these schedules (which can be prepared for in advance of 29th March). Has there been a legal opinion on whether the EU could block this approach?

Apparently, there are many more deals in the pipeline ...

Liam Fox, the secretary of state for international trade, has announced the UK has reached an agreement for a transitional trade deal with Switzerland to allow it to continue trading freely after Brexit.

It is one of 40 “continuity” agreements he is seeking to strike with countries that currently trade with the UK through an EU agreement.

The deals will need to be ratified by parliament and would kick in in the event of no deal or an orderly exit from the bloc.

“This is one of the most significant existing trade agreements, with British companies exporting £19bn worth of goods and services last year and it will provide the certainty that businesses need to continue trading freely,” said Fox.

He said “many other agreements are also close to being agreed” and would come into effect as soon as the implementation period ended in January 2021 or on 29 March 2019 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

“It is a vital part of our no deal planning and it means that businesses and consumers can continue to benefit from our close trading relationships with the world beyond the European Union.”

... I can't see how the EU can legally challenge agreements made to continue current arrangements between third party nations. :shrug:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Apparently, there are many more deals in the pipeline ...

Liam Fox, the secretary of state for international trade, has announced the UK has reached an agreement for a transitional trade deal with Switzerland to allow it to continue trading freely after Brexit.

It is one of 40 “continuity” agreements he is seeking to strike with countries that currently trade with the UK through an EU agreement.

The deals will need to be ratified by parliament and would kick in in the event of no deal or an orderly exit from the bloc.

“This is one of the most significant existing trade agreements, with British companies exporting £19bn worth of goods and services last year and it will provide the certainty that businesses need to continue trading freely,” said Fox.

He said “many other agreements are also close to being agreed” and would come into effect as soon as the implementation period ended in January 2021 or on 29 March 2019 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

“It is a vital part of our no deal planning and it means that businesses and consumers can continue to benefit from our close trading relationships with the world beyond the European Union.”

... I can't see how the EU can legally challenge agreements made to continue current arrangements between third party nations. :shrug:

No, no no no no . All lies!

Tell them [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION]

No trade deals can even be talked about whilst we are still members of the EU. It all lies! :hilton: :kiss:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I see the Swiss are getting ready for our departure ..

Federal Council lays the foundation for future economic and trade relations with the United Kingdom

Bern, 14.12.2018 - At its meeting on 14 December the Federal Council approved the text of a trade agreement with the UK aiming to maintain existing economic and trade relations with the country after its departure from the European Union.

...At its meeting on 14 December, the Federal Council approved the text of a trade agreement with the UK which could serve as a basis for future economic and trade relations. This agreement guarantees, as far as possible, the continuation of the economic and commercial rights and obligations arising from the agreements between Switzerland and the EU, and provides for exploratory discussions aimed at developing these bilateral relations in the future... there is a possibility that the UK may leave the EU in a disorderly manner (‘No deal’ scenario) on 29 March next year, and that no transition period would not come into effect. In that event, the text of the agreement approved by the Federal Council makes it possible to replicate in substance the vast majority of trade agreements that currently regulate relations between Switzerland and the UK. If the relevant parliamentary committees, which will be consulted early next year, approve the agreement, it could be signed and be applied from the date on which the UK leaves the EU.

https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-73415.html

Excellent, there won't be shortages of fondue or Toblerones after 29th March.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nebulous seems to have upset May

It's a big word and possibly hard for her to grasp,, she already struggles with " No Renegotiation " , personally I think Vapid is snappy, apt and to the point.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Excellent, there won't be shortages of fondue or Toblerones after 29th March.

According to Wiki "Switzerland accounts for 5.2% of the EU's imports; mainly chemicals, medicinal products, machinery, instruments and time pieces. " Well that are medicine taken care of them. Everyone can stop panicking about that on here!!

Just seen everything through Switzerland.

Sorted.

But of course its not true. It's apparently illegal for us to have trade deals in place when we leave the EU, because we are not allowed to negotiate our own, whilst members of the EU. Bloody lying Swiss.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
No, no no no no . All lies!

Tell them [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION]

No trade deals can even be talked about whilst we are still members of the EU. It all lies! :hilton: :kiss:

As it stands we are currently on the path to no deal, if this is still the case next year perhaps even the EU will also decide to agree on contingency/emergency measures that seek to limit trade disruption. More likely they will throw May a token backstop bone to try and get the deal through parliament though.

southstandnick

Aug 20, 2012
So this is a continuity agreement as it states one of 40 that we need to agree, to replace these

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ree-trade-agreements-if-theres-no-brexit-deal
As a member of the EU, the UK currently participates in around 40 free trade agreements with over 70 countries. These free trade agreements cover a wide variety of relationships, including:

Economic Partnership Agreements with developing nations
Association Agreements, which cover broader economic and political cooperation
trade agreements with countries that are closely aligned with the EU, such as Turkey and Switzerland
more conventional free trade agreements

In 2017, ONS data showed that trade with third countries with EU free trade agreements accounted for around 12% of the UK’s total trade.

So unless we do £19bn worth of good and services to Switzerland I suspect we have a very long way to go to secure the rest of the 12% of the Uk's total trade.

But surely we can all trust Mr Fox to get this right, two years down the line and rather than saying we have managed to agree 1 out of 40, lets give the impression that the £19bn is now secured. Baloney.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Someone said to me today why can’t we rescind article 50 then activate it again the next day giving us a new 2 year negotiating window. Not sure if it is allowed but would seem to make sense for leavers. Probably upset remainers though.

Anyone know the legal position on this?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
According to Wiki "Switzerland accounts for 5.2% of the EU's imports; mainly chemicals, medicinal products, machinery, instruments and time pieces. " Well that are medicine taken care of them. Everyone can stop panicking about that on here!!

Just seen everything through Switzerland.

Sorted.

But of course its not true. It's apparently illegal for us to have trade deals in place when we leave the EU, because we are not allowed to negotiate our own, whilst members of the EU. Bloody lying Swiss.

Have you been drinking ?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
As it stands we are currently on the path to no deal, if this is still the case next year perhaps even the EU will also decide to agree on contingency/emergency measures that seek to limit trade disruption.
I am convinced they will. There will probably be some transitional period if we leave with a deal. As I said earlier, there is as much chance of planes being grounded, then us not being able to trade freely on march 30th. Which is zero. Both sides just have too much to lose.

Anyone who thinks the EU will block us trading if we leave without a deal, is living in cloud cuckoo land, especially if we have other deals with other nations in place for 30th March, which I have always believed we would have, even though I was told repeatedly by NSC experts that this was not possible!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone see may's confrontation with junker today?

I am not a great fan, but she should have told him to f.uck right off. He did insult all of us and it certainly seemed as though he insulted her, especially listening to the press conference afterwards.

I am seeing something in the fu.ck em argument.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I see the Swiss are getting ready for our departure ..

Federal Council lays the foundation for future economic and trade relations with the United Kingdom

Bern, 14.12.2018 - At its meeting on 14 December the Federal Council approved the text of a trade agreement with the UK aiming to maintain existing economic and trade relations with the country after its departure from the European Union.

...At its meeting on 14 December, the Federal Council approved the text of a trade agreement with the UK which could serve as a basis for future economic and trade relations. This agreement guarantees, as far as possible, the continuation of the economic and commercial rights and obligations arising from the agreements between Switzerland and the EU, and provides for exploratory discussions aimed at developing these bilateral relations in the future... there is a possibility that the UK may leave the EU in a disorderly manner (‘No deal’ scenario) on 29 March next year, and that no transition period would not come into effect. In that event, the text of the agreement approved by the Federal Council makes it possible to replicate in substance the vast majority of trade agreements that currently regulate relations between Switzerland and the UK. If the relevant parliamentary committees, which will be consulted early next year, approve the agreement, it could be signed and be applied from the date on which the UK leaves the EU.

https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-73415.html

Sorry, but footy genius, really - like you actually know about Swiss law and it's nuances. Do one.

southstandnick

Aug 20, 2012
If we leave with no-deal we become a third country. All the agreements we have with the EU end if we leave with no-deal.

None of this means that the EU stops us from doing anything, trade will continue but on far more punitive terms than now. Under no-deal the EU are under no obligation to help us while we commit the greatest act of self-harm in history and in-fact it would be remiss of the EU to do anything else than minimise the impact of no-deal on their 27 members.

Here's a game for you, here's the government tariff guide for tariffs
https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/trade-tariff/sections

As of 2017, UK exports to the EU were £274 billion (44% of all UK exports). In the case of no-deal all of this trade is subjected to tariffs.

As a measure of the preparedness of the Uk Government for this trade to be subjected to tariffs, ask the site for the tariff for any goods to be supplied to France and the site gives the current deal, no tariff.

How could any business in the UK who solely trade in Europe expect to deal with no-deal, if the Uk Government with only 105 days to no-deal Brexit it can't provide any guidance.

The Uk Populace has been sold a pup believing saving £350 million a week would make up for trade problems with the Uk. This is the scale of this lie.
- Side of the bus 350 Million a week for a year, in time is 573 years
- 2017 Uk exports to the EU, in time are 8683 years

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here