Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
This deal answers the #1 reason that most leavers (whatever they say) voted for namely control of the UK border.it also gets our fishing rights back and distances the ECJ as it limits jurisdiction to EU concerns. It also gets us out of the CAP so I say do it.

Then we have 2 years of steady as she goes during which we can explore the opportunities offered by global partnerships.

Whatever we think of TM she’s done an epic job here. History will judge her kindly.

I thought the deal keeps the borders open- Any EU citizen can travel to Ireland and then enter the UK without a passport check?

Or have I missed something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Could be an opportunity for the EU to ask the UK government to stay in with extra concessions, such as special rights as far as immigration is concerned, like we are not part of the Euro. A vote on this will probably be successful.
Other votes that the EU didn't like with other countries were over turned by extra concessions in a similar way.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Could be an opportunity for the EU to ask the UK government to stay in with extra concessions, such as special rights as far as immigration is concerned, like we are not part of the Euro. A vote on this will probably be successful.
Other votes that the EU didn't like with other countries were over turned by extra concessions in a similar way.

I thought the UK voted to leave, irrespective of what the EU fancies.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Why do remainers keep banging on about a 'People's Vote'. Just who (or what) did they think voted in 2016 - dogs? Cats? Budgerigars? Who knows?

One undeniable fact, however, is that a huge majority of Westminster politicians did not and do not want to leave the EU; they are, in fact, very, very keen to remain. Any second referendum, then, far from being a People's Vote would in fact be a Politicians' Vote, their attempt to find a way to overturn the original vote.

Isn’t it odd that those who know about what it would mean to leave tend to want to stay? Have you wondered why those mps don’t want more power? Have you wondered why big hedge fund bods want us to crash out?

It seems to me the more people understand what we stand the lose, the more likely they are to want us to remain. The EU is far from perfect but to think leaving will cure our ills is weird.

I still can’t belive bojo is saying that the deal will see us losing self government for the first time in almost 1000 years. It is almost like he was talking porkies in 2016.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
I thought the deal keeps the borders open- Any EU citizen can travel to Ireland and then enter the UK without a passport check?

Or have I missed something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes nothing has changed

The Home Office said: “As is the case now, people will be able to enter the UK from Ireland without passing through a routine immigration control. However, they are nonetheless always required to meet the UK’s immigration requirements.”

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yes nothing has changed

The Home Office said: “As is the case now, people will be able to enter the UK from Ireland without passing through a routine immigration control. However, they are nonetheless always required to meet the UK’s immigration requirements.”
Ah. The Martin Atkinson school of immigration. "Did you enter the country illegally through Ireland? No? OK, on your way then."

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes nothing has changed

Oh well, we won't be taking back control of borders.

But at least we're be taking back control of another 0.37% of our money

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yes, as I said before, if we have an election before we exit and a pro Eu party wins, great, we,stay.

However at the moment we have an exit government, but one that looks like it’s incapable of leading the party or the country and one incapable of getting its deal through Parliament, the democratic house of this country. If they can’t then they need to ask the people to judge.

The point is that it clearly shows that you have shown absolutely no regard for the initial referendum result, although you seemingly had no reservations prior to it when you thought you would win, perversely a month before the referendum you commented on the Greek referendum saying:

They are a democratic country. They could have said no. They would have gone back to the drachma and carried on. They would have been poorer by leaving yes, but that was a choice they have. And it is our choice also, albeit in different circumstances.

But less than 24 hours after our own referendum you were hoping for a reversal of the result and now trying to tell me that you are only supporting a peoples vote for fair and logical reasons, you might be kidding yourself but you're not kidding 17.5 million Leave voters.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Isn’t it odd that those who know about what it would mean to leave tend to want to stay? Have you wondered why those mps don’t want more power? .

Have you ever wondered if those whose views you think transcends everyone else's might be wrong? Hypothetical question really - clearly you haven't, and never will.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If the terms of our membership on rejoining were quite different from what people were told they would be, then yes, absolutely give the people a chance to say no, that isn't what I voted for. Absolutely fair.

Ah,but in this hypothetical scenario the terms are already done and dusted as that is possible when joining but not in the leave process. You now have a once in a lifetime vote to instruct the gov to rejoin or stay out and the government has said it will abide by the decision . If rejoin wins how many rerun referendums should we have to give the voters a chance to vote the right way instead before the gov gets to sign the final paperwork? 0? 1? 2?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Stop deflecting (AGAIN!) and answer the point. Shouldn't there be a defined well thought out plan and deal BEFORE we vote?

Just how do you propose negotiating a leaving deal with the EU before a vote deciding to leave or stay when negotiations on a leaving deal cant commence (in accordance with a legal treaty we have signed) until we have given them an Article 50 notice that we have decided to leave and we cant tell them we have decided to leave until after a vote on leaving or staying. How do you propose circumventing EU treaty law?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lightweight Leadsom is a joke. With the likes of Peter Bone MP, all they'll achieve is a completely collapsed Brexit and the dream of the majority who voted for Brexit will never happen.

All they're doing is allowing Remainers and lifelong Brexiteers who'd sell their Brexit sole for power (Corbyn and McDonnell) to capitalise.

Some thicko's just can't think strategically.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Depends on the wording. Think it should be a two tier vote. First vote on whether we should remain or leave. .

Did that one already in 2016

2nd question should be if the vote is to leave, should completely walk away or agree proposal on the table. That would give a clear indication of the public choice so would be very difficult to object to the outcome. MPs would also know what their constituents want.

Leavers havnt been against this, it respects democracy, you may be onto something

Option A....Leave with the deal
Option B....Leave without the deal

That has already been done as well, Cameron and the EU negotiated the best possible concessions of our membership prior to the vote. The EU showed their capacity then for change

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here