Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Partly because of the example you gave. Why do poorer parents have to sacrifice their lives almost to put their children on a level playing field with others? Does that not sound wrong to you? .

No it doesnt sound wrong. It is the free choice of the parents, they dont have to, they choose to

What about parents who work damn hard and contribute greatly to society who want the absolute best for their kids but simply can't afford to? Should those kids just be left to have a lower standard than the rich kids?

No,raise the standards of the lower standard of education to match the higher standard

Ban private schools and invest in getting every child the best possible education regardless of their background. If we do that we may start to see some social mobility and better representation of people in top jobs and government.

Banning children receiving a higher standard of education will not achieve anything except result in more children being educated to the lower standard.
Raise standards dont lower them.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Both higher and non-higher educated people are critical to make a country function. One is not better than the other. But both should have the education they require for free.

So, should everyone get a free loan to start a business? Then not pay it back if it's unsuccessful?

Education is free 'till 18 - then one is expected to grow up, become an adult and make choices - like - do I have the confidence to invest in my own future? Your assumption that everyone who takes further education is benefitting the whole country is ridiculous. The guy that maintains my motors so amazingly and countless other hero's like him - ARE absolutely benefiting the country and they never cost the taxpayer a penny!

Now - if you would like to discus completely free university education for professional qualifications such as Science, Maths, Engineering, Law, Medicine etc. - about 16% - as it used to be , not the 50% now - well - that would be a great conversation!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes. Raise them all to the same level, I have said that.

No you havnt, in reality you have said lower all standards to the same level............you just cant see what you are saying.
How do you raise the lower standard to the higher standard (private schools)...........you have just banned the higher standard..........it no longer exists in your world.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Now - if you would like to discus completely free university education for professional qualifications such as Science, Maths, Engineering, Law, Medicine etc. - about 16% - as it used to be , not the 50% now - well - that would be a great conversation!

Indeed.
"Theory of lesbian dance" degrees should pay quadruple fees or more so that real subjects could be accessible to those who show promise in subjects like Science, Maths, Engineering, Law, Medicine etc, but who might struggle financially

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I disagree. Education is not necessarily university. After 18 firms should pay for further training, as in the case of my other half who is a qualified mechanical engineer, but now so much electronics is needed, his firm paid for him to take his HND in electronic engineering.
Companies are moaning the workers don't have the skill sets but won't pay for the training.

You go on to mention the same basic resources, which is what education up to the age of 18 comprises.

University education is not for the masses.

I was on holiday in France when a couple of coaches pulled into the camp site full of dancers aged between 11 and 15. In Russia, you are separated at 11 depending on your skills. These were all good dancers, so their school taught the usual state education up to noon, and then after lunch, it was all dance training. It was fascinating talking to their teachers.
Engineers would go to an engineering school, linguists to a language school, gymnasts to a gymnastic school etc etc.

At one of the branches of the company I worked for the franchise owner asked me why his staff kept leaving I said that several of the people who had left wanted to take on more responsibility and move up in the company... he was dumbfounded and said " But when I let them do that they ask for more money ?"

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Again.Simply not true
I havnt apportioned any blame on cheap foreign labour to kids dropping out of working in the factory in the firm mentioned by Thunder Bolt or dropping out of working in any factory for that matter.
You can keep repeating it, but how about providing a quote next time, which you seem to be unable to do.
)

Ok, I don’t have time to trawl through the chain, fair enough so on a Brexit thread what is your beef with the issue of unemployed youth and education?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
But surely it isn't just their problem given that a very large proportion of EU27 imports to Britain are goods essential to our physical and economic wellbeing - engines for vehicles being assembled here for example. Supply chains would quickly snap if they were marooned in Calais?.

I am trying to be helpful here. People say that Brexiteers aren't considering the consequences of 'No Deal'. It is hard to believe that this can be true, so I am asking one of their number to explain what the consequences are. I asked if you thought we could speed things up at the ports by abolishing tariffs on EU goods. Is that something you favour?

It isn't just their problem,obviously.I am trying to get that across.A lot of remain posters try to say it's all our problem because we voted Leave,but that is just arrant nonsense of the kind percolating out of Gideon's poison pen.The seemingly total lack of progress being drivelled about on here is also totally untrue,but to get it all sorted by next year will be very hard,even with goodwill on both sides.Something that seems singularly lacking in Selmayr's makeup.The only thing that would allow frictionless trade as per the status quo would require a massive shift in the EU's position which I very much doubt will happen until the s**t actually hits the fan.With very rocky times ahead of us for the Euro,sooner than I thought because of fairly large exposure to Turkish debt,they might be too distracted to react in time.I think you would need to ask a trade expert (not an internet windbag ITK) if declaring EU goods tariff free after we leave is even legal under World Trade rules due to free competition rules.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I disagree. Education is not necessarily university. After 18 firms should pay for further training, as in the case of my other half who is a qualified mechanical engineer, but now so much electronics is needed, his firm paid for him to take his HND in electronic engineering.
Companies are moaning the workers don't have the skill sets but won't pay for the training.

You go on to mention the same basic resources, which is what education up to the age of 18 comprises.

University education is not for the masses.

I was on holiday in France when a couple of coaches pulled into the camp site full of dancers aged between 11 and 15. In Russia, you are separated at 11 depending on your skills. These were all good dancers, so their school taught the usual state education up to noon, and then after lunch, it was all dance training. It was fascinating talking to their teachers.
Engineers would go to an engineering school, linguists to a language school, gymnasts to a gymnastic school etc etc.

That actually sounds good. The only downside is children change their minds quite frequently. One day a doctor the next a policeman.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
That actually sounds good. The only downside is children change their minds quite frequently. One day a doctor the next a policeman.

The children get no choice. It is decided for them by the powers that be. Great, this communism lark, eh?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Again.Simply not true
I havnt apportioned any blame on cheap foreign labour to kids dropping out of working in the factory in the firm mentioned by Thunder Bolt or dropping out of working in any factory for that matter.
You can keep repeating it, but how about providing a quote next time, which you seem to be unable to do.

Got to snigger [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] giving you a thumbs up on what i have apparently been saying, not bad for someone who claims he has me on ignore and doesnt read what i am saying anyway.
What a :dunce: (hats are back in stock)

Again you try to say cheap foreign labour when I told you the wages were the same for everyone on the factory floor. Agenda?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We spend around 4.7% of GDP on education - the same as the EU average. That isn't pathetic. Free education up to the age of 18 for everyone. Once again not pathetic. Everyone can go to uni ( results depending ) - once again not pathetic. You appear to have a very large chip on your shoulder. I can only assume you didn't get any GCSE's or A levels and didn't bother to go to Uni.

Free universal and compulsory education to the age of 16 was only introduced in 1973. The state is doing far more than it ever has before to help those from all walks of life and with all sorts of ability. At best [MENTION=15363]Plooks[/MENTION] is a wind up, or perhaps a communis. The latter if fine, if not a bit dated

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Obviously you don't need to push as many people through as possible. The whole higher education stats padding is what led to this mess.
And mechanics like you mention should get access to free training and education as well. They are just as important!

My son had to pay for his car mechanics course. We helped him but it gave him what he wanted and he now works for the AA.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here