Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Wetherspoons dumping EU brands in favour of UK ones :thumbsup:

You do know that Enrest's love of Wetherspoons and their sausage isn't real ?

I'm beginning to wonder whether Westdene Seagull is a spoof of Westdene seagull's account in the same way Pretty Pink Fairy spoofs Pretty pink fairy :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
3 line whip imposed by The Tories for the remainder of the day 'to guard against any procedural ambushes' after The SNP incident. Grieve's 5C amendment is 'not up for discussion' according to No.10, which is not what the rebels were told yesterday. Anna Soubry just tweeted this.

[tweet]1006885048044478465[/tweet]

That lasted well for Mrs May.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
3 line whip imposed by The Tories for the remainder of the day 'to guard against any procedural ambushes' for the rest of the day now after The SNP incident. Grieve's 5C amendment is 'not up for discussion' according to No.10, which is not what the rebels were told yesterday. Anna Soubry just tweeted this.

[tweet]1006885048044478465[/tweet]

That lasted well for Mrs May.

There's much procedural fancy footwork going on right now. I suspect that Brexit might well create as well as destroy jobs: constitutional lawyers might find their service selling at a premium.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You do know that Enrest's love of Wetherspoons and their sausage isn't real ?

I'm beginning to wonder whether Westdene Seagull is a spoof of Westdene seagull's account in the same way Pretty Pink Fairy spoofs Pretty pink fairy :lolol:

Very droll :lol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There's much procedural fancy footwork going on right now. I suspect that Brexit might well create as well as destroy jobs: constitutional lawyers might find their service selling at a premium.

This whole sorry shambles is Manna from heaven for lawyers.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Shadow Brexit minister Jenny Chapman confirms that in line with instruction from Corbyn labour will abstain on the amendment vote trying to keep the UK in the EEA saying ”EEA is the wrong model for Britain” ….. “ Norway is the wrong approach to take and is the wrong model”

Common sense good news

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He also said that he would trigger article 50 the day after the election which would mean we are leaving the EU Sunday week. I don't know how to break this to you but :dunce:
Yes, I knew that. The pathetic man didn't even have the guts to do it before resigning, more's the pity. That at least would have pulled the rug from under Gina I'm-so-rich-I'm-entitled-to-have-my-own-way Miller's stop Brexit campaign, and would have greatly reduced the capacity of all the moaners to try to delay/dilute/overturn Brexit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sadly, following some of the unwarranted abuse he received whilst carrying out his mod duties he’s decided to ditch NSC.
I find it rather odd that [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] abandoned ship? I would be surprised if he had received abuse on here, after all, most of the real swivel eyed nut jobs tend to be on his side of the fence.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I find it rather odd that [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] abandoned ship? I would be surprised if he had received abuse on here, after all, most of the real swivel eyed nut jobs tend to be on his side of the fence.

How would you know?You and other remain head up your backside idiots have half of the posters on ignore.Talking of swivel eyed nut jobs,I see Charlie Mullins got a deserved kicking in the Courts today.Couldn't happen to a nastier person,but then he is a really abusive remoaner!:lolol:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bit messy all these amendments aren't they.

From https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ario-minister-tells-tory-rebels-politics-live

Why Ken Clarke thinks an amendment passed yesterday will effectively keep UK in single market

Earlier several MPs claimed that MPs and the press missed the most significant amendment passed yesterday. (See 1.55pm.) They were referring to amendments passed by the government that altered an amendment passed in the Lords, a Chris Patten amendment saying Brexit policy must not lead to the creation of a hard border in Ireland.

This is what the Patten amendment said:

“Continuation of North-South co-operation and the prevention of new border arrangements

(1) In exercising any of the powers under this Act, a Minister of the Crown or devolved authority must—

(a) act in a way that is compatible with the terms of the Northern Ireland Act 1998, and

(b) have due regard to the joint report from the negotiators of the EU and the United Kingdom Government on progress during phase 1 of negotiations under Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union.

(2) Nothing in section 7, 8, 9 or 17 of this Act authorises regulations which—

(a) diminish any form of North-South cooperation across the full range of political, economic, security, societal and agricultural contexts and frameworks of co-operation, including the continued operation of the North-South implementation bodies, or

(b) create or facilitate border arrangements between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland after exit day which feature—

(i) physical infrastructure, including border posts,

(ii) a requirement for customs or regulatory compliance checks,

(iii) a requirement for security checks,

(iv) random checks on goods vehicles, or

(v) any other checks and controls,

that did not exist before exit day and are not subject to an agreement between Her Majesty’s Government and the Government of Ireland.

Last night, after a debate lasting just 15 minutes, MPs voted for five amendments to this amendment. And then the Patten amendment, as amended was accepted.

Two of the amendments to the amendment passed last night - (d) and (e), set out here on this pages - altered the wording of clause 2b, which refers to border controls.

Taking into account the amendments, clause 2b of the amendment now says:

Nothing in [sections of] this Act authorises regulations which ... create or facilitate border arrangements between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland after exit day which feature physical infrastructure, including border posts, or checks and controls, that did not exist before exit day and are not in accordance with an agreement between the United Kingdom and the EU.

That is the clause in the bill that Ken Clarke thinks will create a legal obligation that will effectively keep the UK in the single market.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not desperate, it's good for UK brands.

Removing the competition so Brexit can work is desperate. Bit like those fisherman twats asking for us to be forced to eat the shit fish they’ll be dredging up from the North Sea.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Removing the competition so Brexit can work is desperate. Bit like those fisherman twats asking for us to be forced to eat the shit fish they’ll be dredging up from the North Sea.

I'm looking forward to my next company car. Hoping for a Hillman Imp.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You really have absolutely no idea about the role of Parliament do you? You talk about 'long-established democratic process' and then complain when Parliament attempts to do its job. The role of Parliament is to implement legislation that is in the long-term best interests of the UK. It is not to implement the result of referendum. I'm assuming you still wish to stand by your admiration for our 'long established democratic process', or are you in fact in favour of forcing through legislation that goes against the wishes of a significant number of people in this country?

UK Governments are elected by the people to propose legislation. They are here today, gone tomorrow affairs, often elected by a minority of the people. Parliament is there to ensure that all Acts are held up to proper scrutiny. Perhaps, after all, you are not an admirer of our long-established democratic process and would rather see a single house of representative force through legislation. This is not the basis upon which UK sovereignty has worked, nor in my opinion, as a proud Brit and Englishman, should work. By all means, reform the upper house, but remember its role as one of the 3 checks and balances within Parliament.

I'm sure you'll come back and tell me that you knew all this, in which case that's fine. It just means you have no respect for our 'long established democratic process.'

You seem to be the only one who knows what you're prattling on about. Quel dommage.

Long established democratic process where the result of a free and fair election is enacted after the necessary democratic threshold is reached. Any proud Brit and Englishman should be fully signed up to this. Undemocratic loons ... not so much.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Attachments

• DE9276C9-00E7-4081-A305-4C77361310BD.jpeg
    DE9276C9-00E7-4081-A305-4C77361310BD.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 133

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills