Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can someone explain why Corbyn won’t talk to the PM please, I know he thinks she is a stupid woman but surely he could at least engage?
This, and the reason I can't stand Jeremy Corbyn.

He'll talk to the IRA or Hezzbullah without preconditions, but the Prime Minister wants a chat over Brexit and it's "I'm NOT talking until you rule out 'no deal'"

What an absolutely hypocritical NOB.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Capture.PNG

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

He'll talk to the IRA or Hezzbullah without preconditions, but the Prime Minister wants a chat over Brexit and it's "I'm NOT talking until you rule out 'no deal'"

What’s the point of discussing anything with a PM who just suffered a record breaking defeat who is refusing to budge on any of her red lines? What exactly are they going to discuss. Something has got to give and the worst option seems to be a credible place to start.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What’s the point of discussing anything with a PM who just suffered a record breaking defeat who is refusing to budge on any of her red lines? What exactly are they going to discuss. Something has got to give and the worst option seems to be a credible place to start.

I don't disagree, but how is refusing to talk AT ALL going to help?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
What? That has nothing to do with Brexit at all.

A coincidence is precisely what it is.

If you read the other articles, a direct quote states "But there are worries that Hitachi may ditch the project, because construction costs could rise, especially with uncertainty about what Brexit will mean."

The discussions have been going on since June about the funding, and with the absolute shambles of Brexit, why would Hitachi even consider taking a punt on the UK. Maybe Wales will realise how much they relied on the stability of being in the EU more so now, than ever before.

:ffsparr:

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can someone explain why Corbyn won’t talk to the PM please, I know he thinks she is a stupid woman but surely he could at least engage?

So Teresa May has had over 2 years to speak to the leader of the opposition. Post general election when her working majority she hoped to bypass her hardliners actually shrank, she again didn't look to consult cross party. 6 weeks ago when it was clear her deal, her precious deal was going to fail, with over a 1/3rd of her own party going against it, she still didn't look to speak with any cross party leaders.

So she gets to the point of an historic monumental defeat in Parliament, scrapes through a No Confidence vote through the homophobes...I mean DUP votes, then Corbyn is supposed to just jump out of his seat without any concession whatsoever?

And this is Corbyn's fault?

He has actually asked for less than the other party leaders, that a no deal brexit is confirmed as being off the table. A completely reasonable position to demand on behalf of his party and members, democratically setting their policy through conference. In fact, he is probably going against a fair number in his party in not demanding a referendum, so he is asking for less than the other leaders.

Is that explanation enough?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Of course the Prime Minister is renowned for her open governance and complete lack of " red lines " ? And this is why we are in this mess, pretty rich blaming Corbyn now after May and a small cabal have, in isolation negotiated to their self appointed red lines. We currently have the biggest lame duck Prime Minister on record but it's not her fault ?:rotlf:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

So Teresa May has had over 2 years to speak to the leader of the opposition. Post general election when her working majority she hoped to bypass her hardliners actually shrank, she again didn't look to consult cross party. 6 weeks ago when it was clear her deal, her precious deal was going to fail, with over a 1/3rd of her own party going against it, she still didn't look to speak with any cross party leaders.

So she gets to the point of an historic monumental defeat in Parliament, scrapes through a No Confidence vote through the homophobes...I mean DUP votes, then Corbyn is supposed to just jump out of his seat without any concession whatsoever?

He has actually asked for less than the other party leaders, that a no deal brexit is confirmed as being off the table. A completely reasonable position to demand on behalf of his party and members, democratically setting their policy through conference. In fact, he is probably going against a fair number in his party in not demanding a referendum, so he is asking for less than the other leaders.

Mate, no deal is pivotal to the negotiations and the reason he doesn't want a referendum is because he knows he will lose votes from party members who a large proportion are leavers.:shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

All of this. Excellent post.

Corbyn is a terrible opposition leader, in the sense that he makes the opposition unelectable. In no way does that make him responsible for anything our current shambles of a government have done (or obviously failed to do).

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Mate, no deal is pivotal to the negotiations and the reason he doesn't want a referendum is because he knows he will lose votes from party members who a large proportion are leavers.:shrug:

90% of Labour members are remainers and 72% are backing a 2nd referendum.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
You’re in favour of controlled immigration which for the rest of the world, we can already implement. That’s good.

What people don’t realise is population growth is linked to economic growth. Even when we leave, I hate to disappoint you, but immigration will not fall in a growing economy, controlled or otherwise as we’ll be welcoming in as many as possible. Look at immigration numbers from outside EU since 2010 when the Tories promised to control immigration i.e those from outside the EU.

Interesting comment and highlights the real problem. i.e no one in authority ever gives a moments thought as to whether we have an ' optimum ' population figure in this country. i.e what figure can we sustain in this country before quality of life comes under pressure. Quality of life = the ability to move goods and services around, the ability of the population to move around, to get to their places of work on time. The quality of service available at schools, hospitals, surgeries etc. The availability of all services that the indigenous population take for granted.
We have a massive inbalance in this country. Most immigrants gravitate to areas of most work. The larger cities, London and the SE. They also gravitate to their own communities, lessening general integration and creating more and more ghetto areas.
We have had 20 years of uncontrolled immigration and it has taken its toil on the fabric of our society. It cannot continue unabated. We have to recognise that we do not have limitless space and resources in this country. There is a social responsibility to wrest back some sort of control, difficult as it is.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Utter nonsense.

Trying to use a catastrophic no deal as a negotiating tool, is the diplomatic equivalent of the 'but racist bigots would riot' argument against a second vote.

And Corbyn's reluctance for a second vote has nothing to do with losing votes, and everything to do with his personal anti-EU stance.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Obviously the pivotal nature and threat of 'no deal' is what has got the EU to give us such a good deal ???

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
House prices falling, industry pulling out of the U.K. , factories closing or relocating, financial institutions moving out of the U.K. and that’s just through uncertainty. If we crap out of the EU on a no deal ticket the U.K. is ****ed.

Frankly, leavers having the brass neck to say it’s for the best are deplorable. Millions of lives will be turned upside down for no foreseeable long term benefit.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

No, he has a responsibility to the count to engage if offered, he only wants one thing and that’s a GE imho, he ain’t got one so he’s being a nob! It’s amazing when he talks about the importance of dialogue leading peaceful negotiations in a conflict situation, yet here he won’t entertain, I suggest he’s out of his depth!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What? That has nothing to do with Brexit at all.

A coincidence is precisely what it is.

It's not making the news as such, but the construction industry is rapidly losing it's skills and labour and has been since the referendum. Many EU workers are moving back home, not just because of the threat of Brexit, but their own countries economies are providing enough work for them.

Take that in context of the uncertainty and the impact on construction materials costs; the construction materials index had the price of materials jump 5.3% for the year to January, the biggest rise since 2011, and to say it's a 'coincidence' with Hitachi is miss informed at best.

The construction industry is desperate for labour, trade skills, and management experience, and cannot get it. The warnings are there. No project fear, project reality.

As I posted previously, even when we leave the EU, free movement from the EU will continue unabated, but we'll be able to re-name it. Which is nice.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If you read the other articles, a direct quote states "But there are worries that Hitachi may ditch the project, because construction costs could rise, especially with uncertainty about what Brexit will mean."

The discussions have been going on since June about the funding, and with the absolute shambles of Brexit, why would Hitachi even consider taking a punt on the UK. Maybe Wales will realise how much they relied on the stability of being in the EU more so now, than ever before.

:ffsparr:

Sorry what do you mean "direct quote". From who? The author of the article?

When you say June, you mean June 2017.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-40437707

No mention of Brexit today, or back in 2017.

But don't let that spoil your fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here