Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Daniel Hannan is changing his tune

“Voters weren’t told about the costs of Brexit”. Oh yes they were. Day after day by Remain campaigners and by the Government itself. They weighed those costs against the gains and decided, on balance, to vote leave.

So project fear was correct then Dan?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Daniel Hannan is changing his tune

“Voters weren’t told about the costs of Brexit”. Oh yes they were. Day after day by Remain campaigners and by the Government itself. They weighed those costs against the gains and decided, on balance, to vote leave.

So project fear was correct then Dan?

Well yes, you will recall that Remain warnings were written off as Project Fear. Voters considered Boris's PR message, assumed he wasn't an habitual liar, and ignored them. Hannan isn't the first Leave leader to hold his hands up as the truth gradually unfolds. Regarding the 'gains' we are still waiting for Boris, or Jacob, or someone, to travel to Scunthorpe and tell the 'people from the council estates' exactly what practical benefits this debacle will bring them and their families in their day-to-day lives. It could be an eternal wait.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Regarding the 'gains' we are still waiting for Boris, or Jacob, or someone, to travel to Scunthorpe and tell the 'people from the council estates' exactly what practical benefits this debacle will bring them and their families in their day-to-day lives. It could be an eternal wait.

Stitched up by the snake oil sellers I'm afraid

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I don’t agree with this statement at all. You can improve productivity of services in many ways from re-organising management and teams to smarter processes and ways of operating to technological advancements. I would actually argue it can be easier in some cases; with manufacturing you can be limited by the speed of the machines. This isn’t the case with services.

Most service companies normally do time in motion studies ( and that's not a no2 ) to try and increase productivity

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Most service companies normally do time in motion studies ( and that's not a no2 ) to try and increase productivity

True. And having thought more about it many simple things like queuing theory can be applied. I think we’re in agreement that you can’t simply say service productivity cannot be greatly improved like manufacturing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My bloody Guardian won’t download ....grrrrrrrrr. You’ll have to wait a bit longer for my opinions today.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If Pretty Pink Fairy can't manage it with his subtle diplomatic nuances Boris hasn't got a hope.

I know we don’t need further evidence of this government’s utter ineptitude but choosing one of politics most divisive MPs to try and unify the nation is utterly absurd. And just as bad is that this news goes around the world. It’s ****ing embarrassing.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have almost given up posting onto this thread but occasionally pop in to see what's occurring and it's the same old same old the flat earth society won the referendum we are leaving the EU and since then it's been one bit of bad news after another but can anyone give me a single possative related to Brexit that has happened to date?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have almost given up posting onto this thread but occasionally pop in to see what's occurring and it's the same old same old the flat earth society won the referendum we are leaving the EU and since then it's been one bit of bad news after another but can anyone give me a single possative related to Brexit that has happened to date?
Calling Dr No.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I work in IT and my industry (and me personally no doubt) will have been responsible for the losses of many jobs over time.
Word processors - all those typing pool jobs gone.
Business systems - automatic printing of paperwork - see above.
Then data input - barcode reading, SFDC systems, electronic transactions. All removing the need for human intervention.
Automatic reporting of data - no manual intervention required.
Etc, etc. All this leads to efficiency/productivity gains, but so often these things are resisted by the left as “you’re taking our jobs away”. There is some truth in that, but without the productive gains, these industries eventually become uncompetitive and wither away, so you lose all of the jobs.

One thing I read recently is that within the UK, being that we are more of a service industry, it’s much harder to get ‘productivity improvements”. It’s easier in manufacturing, as you can improve automation/speed of machines. If you’re selling ‘time’ services, how can you measure productivity and how can you improve? This is where statistics can be very misleading

I spent a 25 year career using technology to improve productivity and accuracy in financial services companies. Having originally trained as a Manufacturing production engineer at Hollingbury, I can definitely say there was more scope for improvements in services than manufacturing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I work in IT and my industry (and me personally no doubt) will have been responsible for the losses of many jobs over time.
Word processors - all those typing pool jobs gone.
Business systems - automatic printing of paperwork - see above.
Then data input - barcode reading, SFDC systems, electronic transactions. All removing the need for human intervention.
Automatic reporting of data - no manual intervention required.
Etc, etc. All this leads to efficiency/productivity gains, but so often these things are resisted by the left as “you’re taking our jobs away”. There is some truth in that, but without the productive gains, these industries eventually become uncompetitive and wither away, so you lose all of the jobs.

One thing I read recently is that within the UK, being that we are more of a service industry, it’s much harder to get ‘productivity improvements”. It’s easier in manufacturing, as you can improve automation/speed of machines. If you’re selling ‘time’ services, how can you measure productivity and how can you improve? This is where statistics can be very misleading

Traditionally it's the right of Centre that oppose modernisation but nice try to insult the left.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Oh ok, every time you post you insult everyone........:thumbsup:

Hmm. I look at the people that my posts seem to insult. Those people are about 6 in number and seem to be made up almost exclusively of Brexit voting numbskulls like you. I'll live with it.
For the record I'm slightly right of centre with a healthy lean to the left on certain issues that require a more lateral approach.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We will be getting Blue passports back in a couple of years, however they will have to be made abroad at first as we don't have the capability here at the moment. That's it so far.

D

Deleted member 22389

I spent a 25 year career using technology to improve productivity and accuracy in financial services companies. Having originally trained as a Manufacturing production engineer at Hollingbury, I can definitely say there was more scope for improvements in services than manufacturing.

Mechanical Engineering is a good job, and it's sad the way this country let it go. I was probably the last group of people to be able to take the City & Guilds in Mechanical Engineering at Brighton College of Technology in the 90s. After that all the machine shops where closed down and replaced with computer suites, same happened at Worthing where I did a CNC programming course.

Looking in the paper now the money isn't bad for Mechanical Engineering jobs, jobs advertised for CNC setter operators 25-35k a year. The money is a hell of a lot better than when I left Engineering. I can actually see manufacturing improving in this country again, obviously it will never be as big as it was years ago, but I think finally governments, education are slowly waking up the fact of the importance of manufacturing in this country again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here