Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Very rarely agree with anything you say, but would definitely agree that a cross party approach to Brexit would have been a better idea, so long as it was a cross party approach to Brexit rather than a cross party approach to weaselling out of Brexit.

Exactly, can you imagine the utter chaos trying to organise a cross party group on leaving the EU that included The SNP and liberal party.
It would take 10 years of in fighting setting it up by which time the clock would have stopped ticking and we would be out anyway in accordance with the treaty.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Exactly, can you imagine the utter chaos trying to organise a cross party group on leaving the EU that included The SNP and liberal party.
It would take 10 years of in fighting setting it up by which time the clock would have stopped ticking and we would be out anyway in accordance with the treaty.

Article 50 can be withdrawn and started again as often as you want - well, in theory. I imagine it'd piss off everyone else rather a lot...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, my 'cross party' would be strictly Conservative and Labour only......and, to be fair, would have to be fairly selective!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Enjoying Sadiq Khans proposal to keep London in the single market and customs union getting the ribbing it deserves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...25-sadiq-khan-mocked-suggesting-london-could/

Hard border on the M25? :laugh:
Oh joy! Just read this:

Nicola Sturgeon
✔ @NicolaSturgeon
"If one part of UK can retain regulatory alignment with EU and effectively stay in the single market (which is the right solution for Northern Ireland) there is surely no good practical reason why others can’t."

The wretched woman has struggled with understanding the word 'leave' since we had the referendum. Now she seems to be unable to recognise the significance of miles of frequently rough sea!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well the DUP have been worth every penny they got from The Magic Money Tree.

Money well spent. Not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very rarely agree with anything you say, but would definitely agree that a cross party approach to Brexit would have been a better idea, so long as it was a cross party approach to Brexit rather than a cross party approach to weaselling out of Brexit.

Something needs to give; I can’t see how May can continue now. This mess is purely her own doing and she clearly doesn’t have the ability to get out of it. How can you trust someone who has shown such woeful judgement that she has boxed herself into a corner with the EU and now has a handful of cranks from NI holding her party to ransom. And then there’s her party which can’t agree what the time of day is let alone how best proceed with Brexit.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Oh joy! Just read this:

Nicola Sturgeon
✔ @NicolaSturgeon
"If one part of UK can retain regulatory alignment with EU and effectively stay in the single market (which is the right solution for Northern Ireland) there is surely no good practical reason why others can’t."

The wretched woman has struggled with understanding the word 'leave' since we had the referendum. Now she seems to be unable to recognise the significance of miles of frequently rough sea!

Are you Two Professors in disguise? The sea, rough or otherwise, is not relevant to this argument, as has been pointed out recently.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are you Two Professors in disguise? The sea, rough or otherwise, is not relevant to this argument, as has been pointed out recently.
Oh sorry, I forgot about the people that just wander across from one side of the sea to the other, or perhaps have their village half on one side, half on the other. Or the country lanes that meander across from NI to Scotland and back again.

And as you choose to ask me if I'm Two Profs. in disguise. OK, I'll counter that with asking you if you're a fan of wee Krankie...........Jocko.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I don't see any way this can be successfully concluded by May's Gov't now unless another under the counter deal is done. The only option open now otherwise that I can see is for another election in the hope that someone can get enough of a majority to effectively negotiate in the new year. It won't happen of course as that would involve integrity which is not something we have seen in government for many years. We really in a bad place...

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Sorry to say, as a brexiteer, that the party promising to honour the referendum is losing ground under their feet. T May for me has lost all credibility along with senior figures. They should have discussed this with the DUP and it appears they have not. Remarkable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Something needs to give; I can’t see how May can continue now. This mess is purely her own doing and she clearly doesn’t have the ability to get out of it. How can you trust someone who has shown such woeful judgement that she has boxed herself into a corner with the EU and now has a handful of cranks from NI holding her party to ransom. And then there’s her party which can’t agree what the time of day is let alone how best proceed with Brexit.

thats not true though, there are many other actors involved, those that leaked the draft, those that published and put their spin on it. she doesnt have the input to box herself in, the process is driven by the EU imposed sequence of events so theres these mid-process dead lines, road blocks along the way.

It’s not going to happen is it?

and thats why they did it. (both the obstalces and the leak).

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

I don't see what May could do differently, I would say that this mess is one she inheritated. What is she supposed to do?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
thats not true though, there are many other actors involved, those that leaked the draft, those that published and put their spin on it. she doesnt have the input to box herself in, the process is driven by the EU imposed sequence of events so theres these mid-process dead lines, road blocks along the way.

and thats why they did it. (both the obstalces and the leak).

We triggered article 50 not the EU.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well the DUP have been worth every penny they got from The Magic Money Tree.

Money well spent. Not.
Maybe the better bargaining tool with the DUP would be the offer of a united Ireland. I'm sure the Garda Síochána would be quite happy to deal with any sectarian cockwomble organisations, and would be able to cope with bricks being thrown at them, being shot at, and negotiating the odd roadside bomb or two; better than our lads having to do it anyway.
Northern Ireland has been nothing but trouble since we allowed them partition in the 1930s, and the majority of the population of Ireland want a united Ireland anyway. Maybe the DUP should realise that they're sitting pretty in a situation that only they like; nobody else does. They should be careful what they wish for, perhaps!

NI's remain vote should be respected, the deal seemed fair.
.....and that is obviously one way they could do it. Problem solved, though I daresay some malcontents would find something to moan about!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Oh deary me! The Brextremists are not enjoying the collapse of their precious Brexit. I'm enjoying watching it getting negotiated and backtracked out of existence!

Meanwhile, in the real world, the one where Brexit hasn’t collapsed or is ceasing to exist . The European Union Withdrawal Bill continues to proceed through parliament tonight in the early hours, with the gov winning the clause vote and defeating all the amendments again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't see what May could do differently, I would say that this mess is one she inheritated. What is she supposed to do?

There’s plenty she could have done differently; not having the election would have been a start and would mean she wasn’t in-hock to the nutters from NI. But no, she held one and spectacularly misjudged the mood of the nation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here