Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I can't actually recall where I first came across these views of Minford. Perhaps it was a news report on TV; perhaps a press report. Maybe I read an article he wrote for the Grantham Chronicle. I do confess that I haven't spent an evening with him.

But let's look at your position on what you call hand-me-downs. It's ludicrous.

You are saying that no one should comment on anything anyone says unless they read the full text of the original article or listen to an entire speech. Unless they do they are, according to you, relying on context-free third party hand-me-downs. Oh well, that's the work of the world's most respected journalists and commentators in the bin then. What are they if not third parties? Obviously you should take care not to rely on misleading extracts from anything but what you say is absolutist rubbish. Stop being so endlessly aggressive.

No I am not, this is what you are saying, no need to mis-represent yet again and put words in my mouth.
I have simply asked you if you have read the full article and the other words in it( not the ones you cherry pick) to gain context. Surely its better to inform yourself of the context rather than cherry picked words.

PS Just out of interest, where did Minford's article originally appear?

Ah,so you havnt read the article, why am I not surprised.
Google is your friend, im sure a search of Minford and mostly eliminate manufacturing will take you too the promised land…….cant be that hard….can it?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Another benefit of leaving has been revealed and that is that UK driving licences will not be valid in the EU after Brexit

#takingbackcontrol #bluepassports

Well that will give the enormous numbers of unemployed in the EU something to do.Never understood driving when you are on holiday,seems daft to me.All cars will be driverless in a few years anyway.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
<<< Adds 'Uk driving licenses no longer valid after Brexit' to the long list of bull crap spouted by the feeble minded/Eu bots. :facepalm:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
No I am not, this is what you are saying, no need to mis-represent yet again and put words in my mouth.
I have simply asked you if you have read the full article and the other words in it( not the ones you cherry pick) to gain context. Surely its better to inform yourself of the context rather than cherry picked words.

Ah,so you havnt read the article, why am I not surprised.
Google is your friend, im sure a search of Minford and mostly eliminate manufacturing will take you too the promised land…….cant be that hard….can it?
Context is very important but quite oftenI am happy to rely on sensible digests by respected reporters working for sober media. If you are always able to read original statements in full then congratulations for having a better work life balance than I have. It must be a bit tough when the original document is a book though.

And of course you're not surprised I haven't read the original Minford article. I had already made it clear that I hadn't. Sorry you are reluctant to tell me where it originally appeared.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
<<< Adds 'Uk driving licenses no longer valid after Brexit' to the long list of bull crap spouted by the feeble minded/Eu bots. :facepalm:

On the plus side when the nasty EU decide to abandon the reciprocal mutual agreements on driving licences our roads will be less congested,as all the Europeans here will have invalid licences too.
This is a brilliant upgrade of the no planes scare story though.......one for the books.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
On the plus side when the nasty EU decide to abandon the reciprocal mutual agreements on driving licences our roads will be less congested,as all the Europeans here will have invalid licences too.
This is a brilliant upgrade of the no planes scare story though.......one for the books.

When we leave and the deal is done and our world doesn't end in isolationist armageddon do you think all the bellends spouting absolute bollox will be fronting up admiiting they were wrong? :lolol:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Context is very important but quite oftenI am happy to rely on sensible digests by respected reporters working for sober media. If you are always able to read original statements in full then congratulations for having a better work life balance than I have. It must be a bit tough when the original document is a book though.

And of course you're not surprised I haven't read the original Minford article. I had already made it clear that I hadn't. Sorry you are reluctant to tell me where it originally appeared.

Not reluctant at all to tell you where the newspaper article appeared, just helping you with a handy google search tip so you can do your own leg work.
Feel free to come back to me for more help if you are finding it difficult and a bit of a struggle, i want you to be able to inform yourself :thumbsup:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
When we leave and the deal is done and our world doesn't end in isolationist armageddon do you think all the bellends spouting absolute bollox will be fronting up admiiting they were wrong? :lolol:

I'd think that most Remainers feel we will end up a little poorer, with our children's lives and horizons diminished and with our country's influence and reputation compromised. The world won't end though and few are predicting Armageddon.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'd think that most Remainers feel we will end up a little poorer, with our children's lives and horizons diminished and with our country's influence and reputation compromised. The world won't end though and few are predicting Armageddon.

If the Remain campaign had been more honest and admitted the first bit you mention was likely I expect the vote to leave would have been in double digits.

Agree with your last sentence up to a point, numerous people predicted economic, political armageddon (some still do).

My opinion is in 5,10,15 years time it will be virtually impossible to assess any meaningful difference in our economic performance compared if we were in or out but i am 100% sure we won't be further along the road to ever closer union.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So much crap written today on here from the noisy 19%

Well seems there was unity at Chequers, yeah right??

I can't blame May think I'd do the same, best to give the impression you're playing for a hard Brexit to keep the peace in her own party, but in reality she knows inside where things are heading.

The EU are already saying go whistle, meanwhile Labour has seen the writing on the wall and is changing its tune fast, parliament more than likely will follow and defeat on the government and if that doesn't happen the Irish border will force the issue anyway.

Just not sure who we will be thanking more at the end of all this, Gina Miller or Arlene Forster?

Jan 30, 2008
So much crap written today on here from the noisy 19%

Well seems there was unity at Chequers, yeah right??

I can't blame May think I'd do the same, best to give the impression you're playing for a hard Brexit to keep the peace in her own party, but in reality she knows inside where things are heading.

The EU are already saying go whistle, meanwhile Labour has seen the writing on the wall and is changing its tune fast, parliament more than likely will follow and defeat on the government and if that doesn't happen the Irish border will force the issue anyway.

Just not sure who we will be thanking more at the end of all this, Gina Miller or Arlene Forster?

sweet Dreams and don't have nightmares:facepalm:
regards
DR

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I sometimes dip into this thread and find the debate equality fascinating and depressing, I voted in but view the EU as it is - a bureaucratic fudge.

You can take a hypocritical "right wing" capitalist position that the EU is all about free trade and private enterprise as long as others outside "the club" are excluded so they don't disrupt the collective interest.

You can also take the lazy "left wing" position that you are secretly happy that your house has tripled in value but you want to EU to step in now again to "correct" injustice to make you feel better.

We are a very idiosyncratic nation and I've always thought it was a bit of a pipe dream that the above could be somehow fused so the majority want to stay in. Especially now as the Utopian fudge that was the "centre ground" of New Labour has been resolutely blown away.

Paradoxically like a lot of supposedly collective structures people join for selfish personal reasons. I've witnessed that personally as a member of a Union.

I know we are under a car crash of a government (and opposition) , but I equally blame the EU for the mess. Too much talk of how the UK would suffer rather than everyone else would suffer from us leaving.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I wasn't really thinking of Armageddon, well, not until David Davis said that was what was not going to happen. It seems that what he says will happen and what he says won't, have a nasty habit of reversing.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

There is something of the Flat Earth perspective on show here - but I'm afraid it's on your side of the fence. Let's accept that economically things are going to get worse if/when we leave The only things we don't know

a) how much worse?
b) what does it look like in the longer term?

But sure it won't be like the Y2K predictions - planes falling out of the sky etc. And we'll have those lovely blue passports!

Jan 30, 2008
There is something of the Flat Earth perspective on show here - but I'm afraid it's on your side of the fence. Let's accept that economically things are going to get worse if/when we leave The only things we don't know

a) how much worse?
b) what does it look like in the longer term?

But sure it won't be like the Y2K predictions - planes falling out of the sky etc. And we'll have those lovely blue passports!

Yes , those Blue passports something you Grizzlers cant come to terms with in the process of shaking off the shackles of the EU people will wonder what all he fuss was about in years to come
regards
DR

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Despite the fact that Tusk is saying the UK Brexit plan is.. an illusion.... im sure marching into negotiations waving our blue passports and saying, were British, lets have none of your nonsense will work.
How many times does the EU have to say, if you leave, you leave, theres no a la carte deal for you, before they start getting it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here