Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Thinking about it, Raab's comments today should render that last two and a half years of Tory attempts at this totally redundant. Kick em out and let Starmer do it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Can they only need the aid of traffickers after brexit? I would have thought the majority of eu who choose to come here after we have left and then stay illegally will probably just decide themselves to come here and pretend to be on holiday then disappear into work in those places where cash in the hand is an easy thing to do. You wont need traffickers for that, its not like they are illegals from all those countries that are required to obtain the standard visitor visa to gain basic entry here and then utilise traffickers to bypass border checks

Those who choose of their own free will to work here illegally after Brexit will be fine and that'll all increase, putting strain on already stretched resources who wont have a clue as to the real number. Trafficking victims will increase too though according to charities in the field.

I'll give you an example on illegal workers though - I spent Christmas 2006 in The Czech Republic with my then girlfriend and flew back to Heathrow early New Year 2007 - despite the transitional arrangements that applied then after Romania and Bulgaria joined The EU at the start of '07, it was amazing how many young, Romanian men were on that Czech Airlines flight from Prague going for a holiday in The UK in January. They all appeared to get past the UK border and off they went through Heathrow and out into that cold, January night just fine. Nothing will change there post Brexit..........

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Those who choose of their own free will to work here illegally after Brexit will be fine and that'll all increase, putting strain on already stretched resources who wont have a clue as to the real number. Trafficking victims will increase too though according to charities in the field.

I'll give you an example on illegal workers though - I spent Christmas 2006 in The Czech Republic with my then girlfriend and flew back to Heathrow early New Year 2007 - despite the transitional arrangements that applied then after Romania and Bulgaria joined The EU at the start of '07, it was amazing how many young, Romanian men were on that Czech Airlines flight from Prague going for a holiday in The UK in January. They all appeared to get past the UK border and off they went through Heathrow and out into that cold, January night just fine. Nothing will change there post Brexit..........

Well thats what i said, EU citizens could come here after we leave the EU visa free then stay and work illegally, i was questioning your idea they will need traffickers to do this, they wont. You will hardly need a trafficker to book an easyjet flight.
But did you personally check all those Romanians yourself on your holiday flight, dont forget they were entitled then to travel to the UK without a visa for non work purposes. How many passports did you check yourself to see if they were part of the 20000 a year Romanians and Bulgarians who could work here via the Agricultural Workers Scheme running at that time, how many did you ask and check to see if they had the accession worker card that was issued to Romanians and Bulgarians so they could work here at that time too.In essence how do you know who was illegal or not considering you were just a passenger on a flight. You seem to have made an assumption they were illegal based on some sort of stereotype thinking on your part.
But this is why i posed the question, how many will think it preferable to come here and work illegally after brexit in crappy old tinpot UK awash with racists and xenophobes over working and living legally in the wonderful EU

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Well thats what i said, EU citizens could come here after we leave the EU visa free then stay and work illegally, i was questioning your idea they will need traffickers to do this, they wont. You will hardly need a trafficker to book an easyjet flight.
But did you personally check all those Romanians yourself on your holiday flight, dont forget they were entitled then to travel to the UK without a visa for non work purposes. How many passports did you check yourself to see if they were part of the 20000 a year Romanians and Bulgarians who could work here via the Agricultural Workers Scheme running at that time, how many did you ask and check to see if they had the accession worker card that was issued to Romanians and Bulgarians so they could work here at that time too.In essence how do you know who was illegal or not considering you were just a passenger on a flight. You seem to have made an assumption they were illegal based on some sort of stereotype thinking on your part.
But this is why i posed the question, how many will think it preferable to come here and work illegally after brexit in crappy old tinpot UK awash with racists and xenophobes over working and living legally in the wonderful EU

I never said anybody was illegal on the flight, did I? Everyone appeared to enter The UK off the flight, 80% of which was Romanian men transiting through Prague Ruzyne to Heathrow on a Sunday evening a few days after Romaina had officially joined The EU, and off they went on their merry way. Granted they could have been on SAW visas, but as most of them looked rather more than streetwise than you probably do, I would say that based purely on appearances in my own personal opinion, I think working ATM's may have been more to their forte than working in agriculture - My nearest Lloyds Bank ATM where I lived in St. Leonard's back then got skimmed several times by Romanian gangs post 2007 alone, for example. (Additionally around the time of The Romanian accession to The EU I recall there was an issue with Moldovan gangs producing fake passports that would pass off as the real thing. I'm sure none of them on my flight entered The UK illegally either though unlike this Ukrainian constituent of the former Home Secretary The UK on a fake Estonian one - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18743301 I have no idea if he was ever deported. I doubt Amber Rudd as Home Secretary had either :rolleyes:)

I didn't say you'd need traffickers to enter The UK post Brexit either, I just said trafficking will increase - Anti-slavery charities who help victims say they believe this will be the case.

As for how many will think it preferable to come here and work illegally after Brexit - Who knows? Just don't ask The Home Office or Border Force about it though as they wont have a clue. :thumbsup:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
In terms of tonnage,Dover is only 9th biggest (6%) and is mainly important for EU trade.No deal,no trade,oh dear,how sad,never mind.Think how much cleaner the air will be without all those Irish lorries.Think the US Army experimented with amphibious trucks once,but they kept sinking in more than a mild chop.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I never said anybody was illegal on the flight, did I? Everyone appeared to enter The UK off the flight, 80% of which was Romanian men transiting through Prague Ruzyne to Heathrow on a Sunday evening a few days after Romaina had officially joined The EU, and off they went on their merry way. Granted they could have been on SAW visas, but as most of them looked rather more than streetwise than you probably do, I would say that based purely on appearances in my own personal opinion, I think working ATM's may have been more to their forte than working in agriculture - My nearest Lloyds Bank ATM where I lived in St. Leonard's back then got skimmed several times by Romanian gangs post 2007 alone, for example. (Additionally around the time of The Romanian accession to The EU I recall there was an issue with Moldovan gangs producing fake passports that would pass off as the real thing. I'm sure none of them on my flight entered The UK illegally either though unlike this Ukrainian constituent of the former Home Secretary The UK on a fake Estonian one - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18743301 I have no idea if he was ever deported. I doubt Amber Rudd as Home Secretary had either :rolleyes:)

I didn't say you'd need traffickers to enter The UK post Brexit either, I just said trafficking will increase - Anti-slavery charities who help victims say they believe this will be the case.

As for how many will think it preferable to come here and work illegally after Brexit - Who knows? Just don't ask The Home Office or Border Force about it though as they wont have a clue. :thumbsup:

You are not presenting a very strong case for EU expansion with all this criminality. Thank god we will be out by the time Albania gets full membership.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
In terms of tonnage,Dover is only 9th biggest (6%) and is mainly important for EU trade.No deal,no trade,oh dear,how sad,never mind.Think how much cleaner the air will be without all those Irish lorries.Think the US Army experimented with amphibious trucks once,but they kept sinking in more than a mild chop.

Bonehead.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Poor Dominic Raab , only just realised that most of Britain's imported food etc comes through Dover. Who would have thought that ???

And if we call Leavers thick, we get told off.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reading about fishing rights arguement, got me thinking. the economic liberal brexiteers are supporting protectionism for the UK fishing fleet, while the not so liberal leavers are supporting more open market for seafood. strange times.

question comes from this, who cares more for UK fishing industry?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You are not presenting a very strong case for EU expansion with all this criminality. Thank god we will be out by the time Albania gets full membership.

Albanians already account for the 3rd highest foreign population in our prison system I believe. So I wouldn't worry about Albania joining The EU, they'll have easier places to get to than there after Brexit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Japanese now reporting about the MASSIVE market London is about to lose solely down to Brexit. I noticed leavers remained tight lipped when reports of this started emerging so I’ll pop another article about it up and see if any of the leavers would like to comment?

This huge blow to Britain is triggering a domino effect with other financial markets.

It’s begun. Economic meltdown followed sharply by recession. You were warned. And not one leaver wants to acknowledge it.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...rket-seen-leaving-london-brexit/#.W-VL5qSnzYU

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
reading about fishing rights arguement, got me thinking. the economic liberal brexiteers are supporting protectionism for the UK fishing fleet, while the not so liberal leavers are supporting more open market for seafood. strange times.

question comes from this, who cares more for UK fishing industry?

As I can't see how a open market - with licenses given out to large foreign trawlers post Brexit, EU market access denied to Skagen in The North Sea, Boulogne-sur-Mer in The Channel for UK hauls among others, a free-for-all attitude to sustainability levels, a couldn't care less attitude to the £200m+ a year industry in The Falkland Islands that's reliant on trade with The EU, the need for The UK consumer to suddenly develop a taste for John Dory and other species of fish we don't currently consume but are caught in UK waters and sold in The EU, protectionist tariff barriers around the rest of the world on fish imports, the effect on processing plants and jobs in Grimsby out of the single market and CFP - to name but a few issues - My answer would be neither. Some people are merely now distancing themselves from the fantasies some leavers are still hawking on fishing as the reality continues to emerge.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As I can't see how a open market - with licenses given out to large foreign trawlers post Brexit, EU market access denied to Skagen in The North Sea, Boulogne-sur-Mer in The Channel for UK hauls among others, a free-for-all attitude to sustainability levels, a couldn't care less attitude to the £200m+ a year industry in The Falkland Islands that's reliant on trade with The EU, the need for The UK consumer to suddenly develop a taste for John Dory and other species of fish we don't currently consume but are caught in UK waters and sold in The EU, protectionist tariff barriers around the rest of the world on fish imports, the effect on processing plants and jobs in Grimsby out of the single market and CFP - to name but a few issues - My answer would be neither. The economic Liberal Brexiteers are merely now distancing themselves from the fantasies the not so liberal leavers are still hawking as the reality continues to emerge.

It wasn’t that long ago the U.K. fishing industry was asking the government to force public operated services like prisons, schools and councils to buy their fish to protect their industry. This was after campaigning on a ticket of greater opportunities for British fisherman outside the EU. Absolute ****ing idiots. And my words to them is....get over it, you won!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...My answer would be neither. Some people are merely now distancing themselves from the fantasies some leavers are still hawking on fishing as the reality continues to emerge.

agree. its a funny battle ground, full of contradictions for all sides.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
agree. its a funny battle ground, full of contradictions for all sides.

They were totally used by Farage as well. I’ve lost all respect for them.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Albanians already account for the 3rd highest foreign population in our prison system I believe. So I wouldn't worry about Albania joining The EU, they'll have easier places to get to than there after Brexit.
???

TOP TEN NATIONALITIES AMONG FOREIGN PRISONERS
England and Wales, at 31 March 2018
Nationality Number
Polish 802 9%
Irish 728 8%
Romanian 671 7%
Jamaican 495 5%
Lithuanian 402 4%
Pakistani 353 4%
Somalian 305 3%
Portuguese 276 3%