Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Corbyn announced that the country was in crisis this week. Rubbish (well not yet anyway).

In France, they really are experiencing something close to crisis.

Slashing tax rates for Millionaires and introducing a fuel tax that hits the urban and rural lower middle class has incited rioting in the capital. The French Police have had enough and videos like below (contains extreme violence) are just driving more violence and destructive protests on the streets of Paris.

https://youtu.be/5-I_dT3VPts

Will we see this sort of violence on our streets that some if there is a second referendum and Brexit is overturned? Many Leavers have been threatening this in the media.
We will see similar if the *no deal* storm hits the country.

If we leave with DisMay's deal then we could well be facing the same issue in 2 years time, but there is at least time to enjoy, and something unexpected may come to the rescue.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
This immigration white paper is another attack on the NHS, and the PM is dog whistling by launching it a a ****ing airport.

Horrible, horrible woman. I'm starting to think she's going full blown openly racist and proud.

She is. She was at the Home Office when the Windrush scandal started, and also the one who sent out the vans with Go Home, on them.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Go and visit a major construction site and you will get your example. You probably think it’s a good thing our youngsters are no longer offered proper apprenticeships to learn a trade and forced to work in your minimum wage dead end vacancies you quoted. You also still avoided the vote question just like all the remainers do.

Don't tell me what I think. Apprenticeships are a great thing but were destroyed way back in the 80s. I think that was a very backward step.
I also think the construction industry needs to clean its act up with the blackballing that went on with health and safety concerns.
The bonus paid recently to the Persimmon CEO is nothing short of obscene.

Many people have to work for low wages but migration is much more than that. We need doctors nurses and vets. Our vets like to work in small practises with small animals and don't like working in abbattoirs. EU vets are far more used to working in abbattoirs and come over here to ensure the butchery trade is working correctly (next you'll be telling me it's irrelevant because you're vegan)
40K nurses are needed now and 12K doctors. That's a shortfall today.

The vote question was a few posts ago and I can't remember it so can you repeat it please?

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Corbyn announced that the country was in crisis this week. Rubbish (well not yet anyway).

Slashing tax rates for Millionaires and introducing a fuel tax that hits the urban and rural lower middle class has incited rioting in the capital. The French Police have had enough and videos like below (contains extreme violence) are just driving more violence and destructive protests on the streets of Paris.

Will we see this sort of violence on our streets that some if there is a second referendum and Brexit is overturned? Many Leavers have been threatening this in the media.

1. The country is in a political crisis.
2. What’s France got to do with this? Whataboutism at its finest.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I didn't think you trusted what EU politicians claimed ?

As Mystic Meg told you nearly 2 years ago, it isn't going to happen.

And we only have to wait 100 days at most to see who's right (and find out what leave voters voted for 2 and a half years ago) :thumbsup:

So just to clarify, on one hand we have the following organisations stating there is a real chance of a 'no deal' situation :

UK Government
Some UK MPs
The EU
The CBI
British Chambers of Commerce
Confederation of British Industry
EEF
Federation of Small Businesses
Institute of Directors
The BoE

And that list isn't exhaustive.

And then on the other hand we have some retired bloke on an internet football chat forum saying 'no deal' just isn't a possibility ....... despite BILLIONS being spent on the chance it is ?

Hmmmm ........ difficult one to know who to believe here ...... really, really difficult :facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
This is something quite a few of us have been saying all along. The EU wants to crack down on tax avoidance and is bringing in legislation in January.

[tweet]1075328146231255045[/tweet]

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
This is something quite a few of us have been saying all along. The EU wants to crack down on tax avoidance and is bringing in legislation in January.

Further to that

[tweet]1075329485761798144[/tweet]

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

A shocking video and one I have not seen before. The police should be deeply ashamed at their response.

I live in France ( for the time being...and hopefully longer !) and thankfully such violence and anarchy is restricted to Paris and one or two other major cities. The Gilets Jaune have been completely over-ridden by the usual anarchists and fascists in Paris.

France has a habit of violent protests, which in the long run gets them nothing.

All very frustrating for the majority of France in the rural ares where fuel tax increases have hit families very hard.

I am a staunch 'Remainer' , but having doubts now about how Tusk, Junker and in particular Barnier have handled the Brexit negotiations. Quite frankly , the three of them sicken me with their arrogance and determination to push through their 'agenda'.

An 'Agenda' that is looking more and more like Vichy France and the Germans versus the rest in World War Two......except without tens of millions being slaughtered.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am a staunch 'Remainer' , but having doubts now about how Tusk, Junker and in particular Barnier have handled the Brexit negotiations. Quite frankly , the three of them sicken me with their arrogance and determination to push through their 'agenda'.

An 'Agenda' that is looking more and more like Vichy France and the Germans versus the rest in World War Two......except without tens of millions being slaughtered.

What hyperbole.

The agenda is that we have to reach a Brexit agreement that both sides know harms them both, the whole negotiation is about the least harm for either side. However, Brexit has been hampered by internal fighting within the Conservative Party rendering a clear approach to Brexit impossible, whereas the EU appear to have a much clearer grasp of what Britain leaving means to them. One side have known what they want, the other side hasn't, their arrogance as you call it, is just a strong clear negotiating position.

The Conservatives haven't negotiated a Brexit for Britain, they have negotiated a Brexit that does the least harm to their party and their tenuous grip on power. If you really want someone to vent your anger at, it really should be them.

D

Deleted member 2719

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2018-12-19-10-49-51.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2018-12-19-10-49-51.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 105

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
2. What’s France got to do with this? Whataboutism at its finest.

Leavers have been threatening violence if their decision is overturned. Listen to any Brexit debate with the public, there is normally the threat of riots etc when the idea of a second referendum is mooted.

I was comparing this ‘threat’ to the current issues in France where a similar demographic is challenging the establishment with mindless violence and destruction leading to the Police seemingly lowering their tolerance to any behaviours undertaken by these protestors.

As others have pointed out, these scenes (reminiscent of the poll tax riots or the burning of Croydon) are far more likely to occur if we crash out on a no deal crippling our economy with thousands losing their jobs.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
What hyperbole.

The agenda is that we have to reach a Brexit agreement that both sides know harms them both, the whole negotiation is about the least harm for either side. However, Brexit has been hampered by internal fighting within the Conservative Party rendering a clear approach to Brexit impossible, whereas the EU appear to have a much clearer grasp of what Britain leaving means to them. One side have known what they want, the other side hasn't, their arrogance as you call it, is just a strong clear negotiating position.

The Conservatives haven't negotiated a Brexit for Britain, they have negotiated a Brexit that does the least harm to their party and their tenuous grip on power. If you really want someone to vent your anger at, it really should be them.

I have read your reply with interest....as I have most of the posts on this thread.

I respect your opinion.....as I have with most of the posts on this thread.

As with all opinions....we can't all be right.

Time alone will give us the true answer.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Quite.

The country has been split to avoid a more problematic split in the Conservative party. This has been the priority since Cameron promised us a ‘stable a strong government’.

However, I believe they will fail (just like Brexit).

I predict the Conservative party is destined to be split in two despite the best efforts of it’s MPs and the willingness to sacrifice national interest. The current one and a new ‘Independent Conservatives’ Party’ (the ICP) will be the status quo by the end of next year, UKIP will almost disappear as Farage retakes the leadership and scores of their members join the ICP in the wake of a failed and abolished Brexit.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/a6afdy/french_generals_accuse_president_macron_of/

French Generals accuse President Macron of treason over UN Migration Pact - Translated to English

This is the letter adressed to Macron by his own army Generals

Mister President,

You are about to sign the “Global Compact on Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration” on 10 and 11 December, which establishes a genuine right to migration. It may impose itself on our national legislation through pre-existing treaties or the principle of common responsibility set out in this pact.

It seems to us that the only sovereignty that will remain with France will consist in freely setting the way in which the objectives of the pact will have to be implemented. You can not give up this new part of the national sovereignty without a public debate whereas 80% of the French population considers that it is necessary to stop or regulate drastically the immigration. By deciding alone to sign this pact, you would add an additional reason for revolt to the anger of an already battered people. You would be guilty of a denial of democracy or treason against the nation.

In addition, the finances of our country are drained and our debt is growing. You can not take the risk of an expensive call for air migration without first showing that you will not have to resort to more taxes to meet the objectives of the pact. On the other hand, you must be able, in terms of security, to curb the consequences linked to the arrival of extra-European populations. Finally, you can not ignore that the very essence of politics is to ensure security on the outside and harmony within. However, this concord can be obtained only if it maintains a certain internal coherence of the society alone capable of allowing to want to do together, which becomes more and more problematic today.

In fact, the French state is late in coming to realize the impossibility of integrating too many people, in addition to totally different cultures, who have regrouped in the last forty years in areas that no longer submit to the laws of the Republic.

You can not decide alone to erase our civilizational landmarks and deprive us of our carnal homeland.

We therefore ask you to defer the signing of this pact and call by referendum the French to vote on this document. You are accountable to the French of your actions. Your election is not a blank.

We support the initiative of General MARTINEZ against the signature of this pact which must be adopted by the Member States of the UN at the Intergovernmental Conference of Marrakech.

General Antoine MARTINEZ

Charles MILLON – Former Minister of Defense

General Marc BERTUCCHI

General Philippe CHATENOUD

General André COUSTOU

General Roland DUBOIS

General Daniel GROSMAIRE

General Christian HOUDET

General Michel ISSAVERDENS

Admiral Patrick MARTIN

General Christian PIQUEMAL

General Daniel SCHAEFFER

General Didier TAUZIN

Colonel Jean Louis CHANAS

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I am fully aware this may be slightly wrong to say.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw another Jo Cox in the next few months.

Some very unastable people on both sides of the argument.

Especially when this little shit is allowed on Sky News

[tweet]1074688738175975424[/tweet]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here