Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Well this thread is going well isn't it? In some obscure way it mirrors our universities. Left, dominant, pack mentality, wolf like. Right, sticking to arguments, realities and sense (without the PC claptrap) However, sense does not prevail. You are one camp or another.

:lol: :lol: Let me know when your next gig is, I enjoy a good stand-up.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well this thread is going well isn't it? In some obscure way it mirrors our universities. Left, dominant, pack mentality, wolf like. Right, sticking to arguments, realities and sense (without the PC claptrap) However, sense does not prevail. You are one camp or another.

If the way it mirrors our Universities was obscure, you would have trouble defining it, which suggests to me that you get your view of Universities from the right wing press, rather than first hand experience.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Some on there will see this as a good thing, merchant bankers etc.. But when an independent body like the B of E is talking so pessimistically then it must surely be worrying times?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41803604

It's not just 'merchant bankers' though is it, it's Financial Services, that's a whole plethora of activities. Anyone who is involved in a multi national financial services company would be concerned, credit cards, insurance, accountancy, whatever....

Some will say project fear, some will recognise reality.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Hi everyone, is there a chance that we might observe NO-vember on this thread? It's been going for well over a year and so far all we've had is conjecture, claim and counter-claim. Nothing has happened, including most (if not all) of the short term predictions. So, why not stop all comments during November and start again in December? We'll get the EU decision then and the conjecture can start again. What do people think?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
It's not just 'merchant bankers' though is it, it's Financial Services, that's a whole plethora of activities. Anyone who is involved in a multi national financial services company would be concerned, credit cards, insurance, accountancy, whatever....

Some will say project fear, some will recognise reality.

It's also cab drivers, restaurant staff, yoga instructors etc etc

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Hi everyone, is there a chance that we might observe NO-vember on this thread? It's been going for well over a year and so far all we've had is conjecture, claim and counter-claim. Nothing has happened, including most (if not all) of the short term predictions. So, why not stop all comments during November and start again in December? We'll get the EU decision then and the conjecture can start again. What do people think?

Do what you like mate but Eurozone GDP came out today and they're chugging along nicely. UK in Brexit induced doldrums.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Some on there will see this as a good thing, merchant bankers etc.. But when an independent body like the B of E is talking so pessimistically then it must surely be worrying times?

i wonder how many read past the headline? firstly, its not from the BoE, its a figure from a lobby group that the BoE appears to support as a valid scenario. We ask the government, treasury, BoE to prepare for Brexit and various scenarios, then turn around and use anything to support views. secondly, there is number of other estimates noted, from 10k to 200k, which really indicates its anyone's guess what the impact might be. thirdly those making to the end might note that previous company announced estimates of job relocations have been cut by 75%, indicating early projections are over played.

in other news, sales of commercial property is set to complete record breaking year. that might suggest that when it comes to doing rather than saying, businesses are not being deterred from London. just like Deutsche Bank talked about relocating staff to EU, while renewing 25 year lease on their expensive London offices.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's also cab drivers, restaurant staff, yoga instructors etc etc
Newspaper booths, sandwich shops...all the little people that eke out a living like Remora's live off a Shark.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Do what you like mate but Eurozone GDP came out today and they're chugging along nicely. UK in Brexit induced doldrums.

EUhorror.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

We're past the point of return now and many jobs are being moved right now, I have this from insiders I know high up in financial services, business cannot wait any longer. Even if Brexit was reversed tomorrow a lot of damage has already been done

Lets be honest given the choice of London, Paris or Frankfurt to invest in now, who would choose London?

All those all paid jobs will leave a large hole of public finances. Hammond will give very little away in the budget, his hands are tied.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
As I said, it's all claim, counter-claim and conjecture. Nobody knows what will happen in 2019 or 2020, 2021, 2022, but that doesn't stop everyone searching various leave and remain websites for the latest evidence that their opinion is correct and the others is wrong. Still, at least it's giving employment to a whole field of bigoted journalists and bloggers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We're past the point of return now and many jobs are being moved right now, I have this from insiders I know high up in financial services, business cannot wait any longer. Even if Brexit was reversed tomorrow a lot of damage has already been done

Lets be honest given the choice of London, Paris or Frankfurt to invest in now, who would choose London?

all those companies that have come here, including German and French financials companies. an EY survey has UK as second favorite country for investment (after US and China) and a report from a property company has London rated as most attractive city in Europe

quite right about the jobs being moved now, and with that in mind we'll see what the affect is in the coming 6mth or so. companies will have announced and be in progress of moving/relocating/recruiting in Europe those roles they think they'll need to, if they haven't moved or be in advanced planning by March unlikely to be any further movement (lead time for office selection, fit out etc takes longer than you'd think).

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
As I said, it's all claim, counter-claim and conjecture. Nobody knows what will happen in 2019 or 2020, 2021, 2022, but that doesn't stop everyone searching various leave and remain websites for the latest evidence that their opinion is correct and the others is wrong. Still, at least it's giving employment to a whole field of bigoted journalists and bloggers.

Conjecture? Please see hard data that has come out today.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Those figures are a guesstimate for the Eurozone,not the EU as a whole (or as a hole).Massive quantitative easing might have resuscitated the beast a bit for a while,but has done very little to ease mass unemployment.Draghi has started to wind down QE now,to coincide with his retirement.Can imagine him in 2020-'The economy was recovering when I was in charge':lolol:

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Those figures are a guesstimate for the Eurozone,not the EU as a whole (or as a hole).Massive quantitative easing might have resuscitated the beast a bit for a while,but has done very little to ease mass unemployment.Draghi has started to wind down QE now,to coincide with his retirement.Can imagine him in 2020-'The economy was recovering when I was in charge':lolol:

Unemployment below 9% for first time in 9 years, trends are good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here