Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The new mantra of Brexit (we still have no idea what this means, of course) is indeed, 'get on with it'.

Walking past the newspapers this morning, I noted the big front page of the Express (could have been the Mail, tbh) was a triumphant quote from the opportunist turn-coat Boris Johnson, about being 'on the home straight, and the view is lovely', laid over a picture of the white cliffs of Dover. The banner at the top of the page screams 'One year to go', and the banner at the bottom 'Poll reveals no appetite for second vote'.

Two thoughts on it:

1. How funny it is - if you'd designed a spoof cover to lampoon the blinkered Little Englander mentality, you'd have come up with something very similar.

2. The two banners together 'One year to go' AND 'No appetite...' seemed (to me at least) to reveal an air of desperation - of fear.

I don't agree that 'Get on with it' is only a statement of dull acceptance. I think at the manipulative government / media level it is a case of 'Get on with it QUICK, so we're are utterly committed before the whole thing unravels and anyone has the chance to stop it'.

I think for a lot of people, get on with it means, were sick of hearing about it, stop telling us about the problems and just do it, which to me shows the level of interest most people have in politics, most of the time.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If that is how you feel about Brexit, then that is your view and you are entitled to it. That is what a forum is all about -the exchange of views. However, then to imply, as you clearly do, that argument is futile because of others, reflects badly on you - afterall, if you have no desire to interact with others, why are you on here at all? And others may feel that reading what you post is equally a waste of time.

Whatever...
[MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] made a very good analogy in his post - that this thread is like ten people shouting at each other in a lift, with the same arguments again, and again, and again. That, the abuse and the sort of rubbing-your-face-in-it wind ups (like JC - his latest being his 'how will you celebrate the great day?') make it an utterly depressing and totally futile thread to contribute to.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think for a lot of people, get on with it means, were sick of hearing about it, stop telling us about the problems and just do it, which to me shows the level of interest most people have in politics, most of the time.

I agree it means that for the man or woman in the street.

There are plenty of other vested interests though, who are overly keen to 'get on with it' to the point of no return, as quickly as possible, regardless of our preparedness to do so.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Whatever...

[MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] made a very good analogy in his post - that this thread is like ten people shouting at each other in a lift, with the same arguments again, and again, and again. That, the abuse and the sort of rubbing-your-face-in-it wind ups (like JC - his latest being his 'how will you celebrate the great day?') make it an utterly depressing and totally futile thread to contribute to.

Yet you have just contributed to it!!! Again! So, I say to you again -if that is how you feel, then fine and just ignore it. Why get so uptight when you don't have to look at something that seemingly upsets you so much.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Whatever...

Welcome back. Not sure about the lift analogy. I usually find posting on this thread is like interrupting a Guardian readers dinner party :D

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yet you have just contributed to it!!! Again! So, I say to you again -if that is how you feel, then fine and just ignore it. Why get so uptight when you don't have to look at something that seemingly upsets you so much.

I was responding to GNT, who was seemingly concerned that because people had stopped contributing to the thread it may have meant that they had become resigned to Brexit. I was letting him know that this was not the case.

I often, still, dip in and have a read at times. That I choose not to contribute is entirely my business. As is my choice to, occasionally, post a comment.

Why you feel entitled to question me on this is beyond me. It's really nothing to do with you.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's almost like both sides are expecting to agree on a future trade relationship that limits/nullifies the need for major infrastructure at borders ... just a thought.

Except there's still no sign of an agreement on the Irish border though which holds the key to all that.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Except there's still no sign of an agreement on the Irish border though which holds the key to all that.

It is important but even the Canada EU trade deal removed 99% of customs duties.

The Eu's own negotiating guidelines ..

The guidelines say the EU is ready to “initiate work towards a free trade agreement” involving zero tariffs on goods that would be concluded after Britain leaves.

Tusk said this was the only kind of arrangement possible given Britain’s demands, citing the EU’s deal with Canada – which excludes financial services – as a model.

But the EU still wants an “ambitious” deal, a senior EU official said, adding that it would cover goods and services “in all sectors.”

One key issue is ensuring a “level playing field” – finding a mechanism to prevent either side under-cutting the other economically by slashing regulation or giving state subsidies to businesses.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I was responding to GNT, who was seemingly concerned that because people had stopped contributing to the thread it may have meant that they had become resigned to Brexit. I was letting him know that this was not the case.

I often, still, dip in and have a read at times. That I choose not to contribute is entirely my business. As is my choice to, occasionally, post a comment.

Why you feel entitled to question me on this is beyond me. It's really nothing to do with you.

That's fair enough. I can see how my post could be interpreted thus but I didn't quite mean it in that way. I think I was really trying to say that the 10 of us 'in the lift' are slightly odd. But you're very welcome to be number 11 should the mood take you!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

There really is no need to have a little stroppy woppy. Of course it is your business to read whenever you want, and post whenever and whatever you want. That is hardly the issue in question. Afterall this is what a forum is all about. But then don't tell others that is futile and pointless and tantamount to a bear pit, when you don't like what they write. Twice you have talked of the utter pointlessness of the thread, or how the thread has turned out and that it is not worth contributing towards, and then contribute yourself. Just be that shade more consistent with your thinking and then you won't make yourself look so silly.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It is important but even the Canada EU trade deal removed 99% of customs duties.

The Eu's own negotiating guidelines ..

The guidelines say the EU is ready to “initiate work towards a free trade agreement” involving zero tariffs on goods that would be concluded after Britain leaves.

Tusk said this was the only kind of arrangement possible given Britain’s demands, citing the EU’s deal with Canada – which excludes financial services – as a model.

But the EU still wants an “ambitious” deal, a senior EU official said, adding that it would cover goods and services “in all sectors.”

One key issue is ensuring a “level playing field” – finding a mechanism to prevent either side under-cutting the other economically by slashing regulation or giving state subsidies to businesses.

Sounds great but Tusk also said this will be the only FTA in history where the terms are worse than the status quo. What about customs checks though? Are there not going to be any?

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here