Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Or new primary legislation, with cross party support, to join EFTA/EEA and customs union.

More likely, I think this could get cross party support and probably the DUP

The Brexiteers would hate it as we get to keep our FOM rights, but they are essentially only 15% of MP's, a similar % of the public want the extreme Brexit they favour

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I believe Morgan are the largest British-owned car maker. Last time I looked they were still made partly out of wood. Rule Britannia.

Careful they don't mine your head.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Jesus christ, you seem to go out of your way to look ridiculous.
The AmericaS is North, Central South and Canada. Thanks for re-enforcing my view of you.

:lolol::yawn::smokin::bigwave:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I believe Morgan are the largest British-owned car maker. Last time I looked they were still made partly out of wood. Rule Britannia.

The factory tour in Malvern in fascinating, did it last year

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Then why did Leave win?Or are you claiming otherwise?Where is any information supporting your fantasy?

I've edited my question so you can understand it.

"I'd say that the Leave option you favour (ie - not the Norway option, Chequers, or May's current offering but something much 'harder') was almost certainly not supported by a majority of voters in 2016 and it surely isn't now. Do you claim otherwise?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus christ, you seem to go out of your way to look ridiculous.
The AmericaS is North, Central South and Canada. Thanks for re-enforcing my view of you.

I’m not sure if you know how my post came about but during a discussion about US imports [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] stated, “American beef” is better than U.K. Numerous posts followed stating the quality, or lack of, mass produced US beef. He then tried to claim he was talking about Argentinian beef. I actually felt sorry for him as he tried to dig his way out of his hole...publicly making himself look even more stupid, not to mention dishonest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Wood-n’t happen in Germany, we make proper cars :lolol:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Then why did Leave win?Or are you claiming otherwise?Where is any information supporting your fantasy?

Because it was deliberately vague, if they had said at the start we would either leave the EU completely and be stuck on WTO terms for a long while, or we would get a deal that looks like the one May has served up, it wouldn't have won.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I’m not sure if you know how my post came about but during a discussion about US imports [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] stated, “American beef” is better than U.K. Numerous posts followed stating the quality, or lack of, mass produced US beef. He then tried to claim he was talking about Argentinian beef. I actually felt sorry for him as he tried to dig his way out of his hole...publicly making himself look even more stupid, not to mention dishonest.

A remainer trying to make Brexiteers look stunningly thick maybe?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think two profs may be employed by Bozza to make all NSC posters feel good about themselves (even Ppf). He can't be real, Shirley :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think he's right.

There's no way the deal will get through the Commons.
The big problem is that *no deal* doesn't have to go through, it just happens.

Parliament cannot stop it - the Government has to stop it. Sure Parliament can vote to stop it, but no cigar if the Government doesn't bring forward the legislation.

If DisMay gets ousted and a Zealot takes over then they just run the clock down - barring a 2/3rds vote for collapsing the Government. Even DisMay could choose to run down the clock to disaster - and we all know she is a *bloody difficult woman*.

:nono:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Or new primary legislation, with cross party support, to join EFTA/EEA and customs union.
That is now *the dream*, but depends on who is PM. Would need the Government to collapse and a cross-party Government to be formed - but who would be PM ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The big problem is that *no deal* doesn't have to go through, it just happens.

Parliament cannot stop it - the Government has to stop it. Sure Parliament can vote to stop it, but no cigar if the Government doesn't bring forward the legislation.

If DisMay gets ousted and a Zealot takes over then they just run the clock down - barring a 2/3rds vote for collapsing the Government. Even DisMay could choose to run down the clock to disaster - and we all know she is a *bloody difficult woman*.
:

What you say is true but I wouldn't be so sure about no deal being the inevitable consequence. If May's proposal is voted down (which it probably will be), it's not clear what would happen. But, the idea that a hard Brexiteer could take over and push ahead with no deal has complications. First of all, there are several Tories who have said they will leave the party if that happens - it only needs half a dozen to do this and the government has no majority and is in danger of a no confidence vote.

And it's not the prominent rebels. No deal would be an economic disaster for the country and most MPs (save a few head bangers) know this. So, a rebellion may not be contained to the small group of Tory Remainers (Clarke, Soubry, Grieve etc) who have protested so far. They may not actually leave the party but may make life really difficult for the leader.

I'm not totally convinced a zealot would win the leadership either. As the vast majority of MPs don't want to leave on WTO terms, they may be reluctant to vote in someone whose inclination is to do that. I suspect that a new leader would be far more emollient towards Labour as he or she will want to get some sort of deal done.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So actually trump is right...under the back stop, we are not allowed to trade with anyone other than the EU due to customs regs etc.

I never thought I would ever say that! I feel dirty.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm not totally convinced a zealot would win the leadership either. As the vast majority of MPs don't want to leave on WTO terms, they may be reluctant to vote in someone whose inclination is to do that. I suspect that a new leader would be far more emollient towards Labour as he or she will want to get some sort of deal done.

A Brexiteer in the present cabinet you'd think - Javid, Gove or the nakedly ambitious Hunt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here