Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It always makes me smile when people who voted Remain said they just voted for the status quo or knew exactly what they voted for ... #clueless
Yep, so strange that one of the most quoted phrases is that people who voted to leave didn't know what they were voting for.

I suppose the EU and world history is completely predictable. :ffsparr:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I couldn't be sure, but I suspect that in Rotherham and Rochdale young people are more positive than their parents about Muslims, yes. I understand your point that in some areas, integration has not happened as well as in others, and that there may be tensions between communities, but I would still expect those to have had more interaction with each other to have less fears of each other.

None of them have a problem with Muslims, because after Brexit there'll be less immigration from developed, non Muslim European countries and more immigration from developing, non European Muslim countries.

They'd have to have been a bit silly to want to end freedom of movement from The EU to replace it like-for-like immigration from Commonwealth and developing countries such as Pakistan, Nigeria and Bangladesh as is already happening if they had a problem with Muslims in Rotherham and Rochdale. :rolleyes:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep, so strange that one of the most quoted phrases is that people who voted to leave didn't know what they were voting for.

I suppose the EU and world history is completely predictable. :ffsparr:

Tell me honestly, when you voted Leave, did you know it was going to break the Good Friday Agreement in Ireland? That agreement was voted on by the Northern Irish people and won by 90% to 10%.

By voting Leave the rest of the UK (mainly England & Wales) have done the dirty on Ireland.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Tell me honestly, when you voted Leave, did you know it was going to break the Good Friday Agreement in Ireland? That agreement was voted on by the Northern Irish people and won by 90% to 10%.

By voting Leave the rest of the UK (mainly England & Wales) have done the dirty on Ireland.

The Irish and UK governments have both said they will not build a hard border under any circumstances (including no deal) the EU agree so tell me how does voting Leave break the Good Friday agreement?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Irish and UK governments have both said they will not build a hard border under any circumstances (including no deal) the EU agree so tell me how does voting Leave break the Good Friday agreement?

If the border runs down the Irish Sea, then Northern Ireland is separate from Britain. They don't want that which is why the DUP are voting against this deal.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If the border runs down the Irish Sea, then Northern Ireland is separate from Britain. They don't want that which is why the DUP are voting against this deal.

The important word is 'if'. Voting leave doesn't automatically = border down Irish sea which is why the DUP and many others find May's deal unacceptable

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008

i dont care as i think jedward are rubbish so no loss

Regards
DR

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I voted to leave and be independent. Of course I didn't know that the good Friday agreement would be broken. My point is that NO-ONE knew/knows what would/will happen in spite of the ridiculous statements made by some remainers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You can vote out a Conservative government if they have policies you don't like.

But you won't have a Conservative government forever.

& You might not have a "friendly" EU Commission forever either.

I tried that, several times.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I voted to leave and be independent. Of course I didn't know that the good Friday agreement would be broken. My point is that NO-ONE knew/knows what would/will happen in spite of the ridiculous statements made by some remainers.

So that proves that Leavers didn't know what they were voting for. People like Farage were advocating the Norway option, and it was also said that the Europeans already here would not be affected in any way.
This is why the Remainers say you didn't know what you were voting for because the goal posts have been moved.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
So that proves that Leavers didn't know what they were voting for. People like Farage were advocating the Norway option, and it was also said that the Europeans already here would not be affected in any way.
This is why the Remainers say you didn't know what you were voting for because the goal posts have been moved.

If ever there was a post which reconciles perfectly with your quote from Brighton Bluenose it must be this one........great work if it was meant to be ironic.

Seriously a post on a football forum from one individual one why they voted leave and it’s conflated with the motives of 17.4m other voters.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You were honest enough previously to say you were in favour of integration, and i expect that means joining the euro.

If we have a second referendum, it should be the choice between all in and all out, because that is ultimately what the EU leadership is heading for. This would be the best way to resolve the impasse, because the discussiond about remaining/leaving now are not reflecting the bigger picture.

Limiting the question will only create more difficulty when new treaties are negotiated whether or not we ste at the table.

People can understand this choice, fully in with euros, full freedom of movement, handing over economic decisions to the ECB, a fully integrated EU Army, etc.

Thats what its really about, if we have to decide again thats what it should be about, because thats what its been about for the last 40 years.

Though I would like us to be a part of a full Federal EU, it isn't going to happen in my life time, and I would not want to impose it upon people We should remain as we are, not Schengen, Euro etc and we absolutely should consult the public each and every time there is any move to take a step to closer integration, but we must present the facts of it, and if we reach a point where the people say "No Further" it should not be asked again until there is a significant change in either the population being asked the question, or the proposition in the question.
The EU has had from time to time a Commission and President that is more Federalist, and others less so, it is not always moving forward in that direction, and change has to be by agreement.
Even if you believe that remaining means ending up at some point in the Euro, in Schengen etc. it would not be reasonable to ask people if that is what they want now, as much as it is not reasonable to ask if we want Wagner to be England manager, it would look a daft choice right now, but in the future it may look a good move, it would depend entirely on how things develop and circumstances at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here