Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I hope your well braced, Lad. And have put aside some of your JSA because Birmingham is in for a rough, rough ride if we leave the EU...

Just take a look at what EU money has done for your city. It transformed it from concrete Hell-hole. Another reason I don't like Leave voters, ungrateful bunch of entitled yobs.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/eu-brexit-investment-birmingham-funding-11028563

1. The International Convention Centre

Cherie and Tony Blair with Bill and Hilary Clinton at the ICC in 1998
The EU chipped in £50 million towards the ICC and Symphony Hall which opened for business in 1991. It most famously welcomed global leaders, including Presidents Bill Clinton and Boris Yeltsin to the 1998 G8 Summit. Each year it hosts some 350 events including political and business conferences bringing hundreds of thousands of visitors to the city.

2. The NEC
National Exhibition Centre
National Exhibition Centre
There was further help for the city’s conference and exhibition industry with a £30 million cheque towards the refurbishment of the NEC - which of course is home to Crufts and many other major shows bringing thousands more to the city.

3. The West Coast Mainline
Virgin train
Virgin train (Image: Martin Keene/PA Wire)
Remember the upgrade of railway linking Birmingham to London, the North West and Scotland and reducing journey times in the process? The EU paid £66 million towards that.

4. Breaking the Concrete Collar

The demolition of Masshouse Circus
Those folks in Brussels helped Birmingham rid itself of one its biggest mistakes of the 1960s. It paid £9.1 million towards the redevelopment of Masshouse Circus in 2002, including the breaking of the Queensway flyover, known as the concrete collar, which had held back the expansion of the city centre for more than a generation.

5. The Town Hall

The inside of the Town Hall in Birmingham in order to help kids with autism.
Built in 1834 the Town Hall is the city’s premier historic building. But just over decade ago it was in a pretty sorry state, covered in soot and neglected. The EU, with a £3 million handout, was among a number of backers which saw it cleaned-up, its stonework restored and its interior refurbished and reopened in 2007.

6. Millennium Point
The Spitfire Gallery, Thinktank
The Spitfire Gallery, Thinktank
The home of the Thinktank Museum and Birmingham City University was completed in 2000, it was, through a £25.6 million investment, the the UK’s largest ERDF funded project at the time.

7. Innovation Hub

Over £6 million invested in Innovation Birmingham, the former Aston Science Park, bringing digital and high technology businesses and jobs to the city.

8. Jobs for young people

(Image: Pic: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire)
Only last month the city council accepted a £33 million EU social fund grant towards its scheme to get 16,000 Brummies, aged under 30, into employment .

9. Backing for business
Business
Business
Between 2007 and 2013, as the economy nose-dived, the European Regional Development Fund provided financial support for 24,910 West Midlands based businesses

10. The Assay Office
CGI of the converted Assay Office in Newhall Street
CGI of the converted Assay Office in Newhall Street
At the centre of Birmingham’s historic Jewellery Quarter is the Assay Office - one of the few places that precious metals can be tested and hall marked. Part of the cost of its expansion and relocation last year was covered with a £1.5 million EU grant.

11. MG Rover Task Force
Rover's Longbridge plant in Birmingham pictured in June 2003
Rover's Longbridge plant in Birmingham pictured in June 2003
The collapse of MG Rover in 2005 directly caused 6,000 redundancies, plus many further losses along the supply chains. The task force was set up to create jobs, invest and help get those workers back into employment. More than a third of its £176 million pot came from EU emergency funds.

12. University research
Chemistry apprentice
Chemistry apprentice
No wonder some of our universities are keen on the UK remaining in the EU. In the West Midlans alone between 2007 and 2013 universities benefited to the tune of about £260 million, funding research into health, food, energy, climate change and transport. They are receiving similar amounts under the new funding package.

13. Birmingham International Dance Festival
Performers at Birmingham's International Dance Festival
Performers at Birmingham's International Dance Festival
Grants totalling £741,000 over six years helped get the festival launched in 2008 and established. In 2014 the festival was estimated to be worth £2.6 million to the city’s visitor economy.

14. The African-Caribbean Millennium Centre

Chairman Martin Blissett outside the African-Caribbean Millennium Centre in Winson Green in 2004.
The EU gave £530,000 towards the setting up of this vital community centre in Winson Green.

15. The Nishkam Centre

Performance at the Nishkam Centre, Handsworth
The ERDF stumped up £2.5 million, of the £6 million cost of developing this facility for the Sikh community and wider population of Handsworth. It opened in 2006.

You really don't have the first clue what you have done.

[MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION]

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You are right, perhaps he does have a notion of an improved version of the existing one for when the time comes

Will it be one of the easiest trade deals in human history with Japan, like the one he's getting us with The EU, or he is just a clueless idiot, full of hot air with no idea of what he's doing?

My money would be on the latter.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Will it be one of the easiest trade deals in human history with Japan, like the one he's getting us with The EU, or he is just a clueless idiot, full of hot air with no idea of what he's doing?

My money would be on the latter.

Well considering there will already be an existing trade deal in place i would go with the former. But then i generally have a positive outlook on life and am not always seeking possible negatives to everything.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've just thought of an excellent, almost guaranteed, way of getting this thread locked.

But I'm not telling. Oh no.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well in my completely unscientific discussions with people across various educational and age groups, I have also found that the majority of old people who aren't well educated voted leave.

Being 58 and having left school with straight after GCE's, I find myself in a minority :smile:

I'm within a week or two of my 70th and also left school after GCEs aged 16, and I'm with you in the minority.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Well considering there will already be an existing trade deal in place i would go with the former. But then i generally have a positive outlook on life and am not always seeking possible negatives to everything.

Thanks - I'd often wondered what sort of person was among the 13% polled by YouGov who think the Prime Minister's approach to Brexit is about right and going well. I assumed it would probably be a very special kind of of person and you've confirmed my assumptions as correct. Well done.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I just wish remainers would stop calling leavers thick, stupid and so on. I was called a turd, moron the other day, is it any wonder the quality of debate has gone down the toilet.

It is harsh to call all Brexiteers thickos, and I don't agree with that

But there is a section of the population that have been easily groomed by sectors of our media.

Play on fears, offer simple solutions to complex issues, which turn out to be undeliverable. Then try and blame someone else for their failures, eg impossible amendments to yesterdays white paper

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Thanks - I'd often wondered what sort of person was among the 13% polled by YouGov who think the Prime Minister's approach to Brexit is about right and going well. I assumed it would probably be a very special kind of of person and you've confirmed my assumptions as correct. Well done.

Sorry, you have got the wrong bloke. I have never been contacted for polling by Yougov.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It is harsh to call all Brexiteers thickos, and I don't agree with that

But there is a section of the population that have been easily groomed by sectors of our media.

Play on fears, offer simple solutions to complex issues, which turn out to be undeliverable. Then try and blame someone else for their failures, eg impossible amendments to yesterdays white paper

:ffsparr:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sorry, you have got the wrong bloke. I have never been contacted for polling by Yougov.

I didn't say you had, but you're definitely very special though so you're definitely in that very select, very special 13% of The UK population that their polling models produce.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I just wish remainers would stop calling leavers thick, stupid and so on. I was called a turd, moron the other day, is it any wonder the quality of debate has gone down the toilet.

I don't believe I called you thick. I confirmed that my completely unscientific findings back up the statistical research that said that if you were older and less educated you were more likely to vote Leave :shrug:

There has been some reasonable debate on this thread but, I have to say, I always thought that as the outcome became clearer and clearer there may be some movement towards the position the Government were always going to have to take. (And I think, in a lot of cases there is). Now the outcome is staring us in the face, the swivel eyed loons have just become more radical.

In the last week, these have all been suggested by some of the posters on here

It's all Cameron's fault for letting us vote.

We wouldn't be in this situation if Boris had been elected PM.

We can go for a WTO 'no deal' Brexit with no borders or customs.

The reason the EU/Japan are rushing through the trade deal is so that we can benefit, when we go to the EU to ask for extensions to membership.

I honestly can't be arsed with what are hopefully wind-up merchants or sadly, people who have so little grasp of reality.

I'm long retired, with a private income, my kids are both well educated and in careers that should be effected very little by Brexit, however it goes. Ironically I have benefited, in no way intentionally, from this 2 year and ongoing clusterf*** at Government. So I don't see the whole cock-up having much of an effect on me personally or my family.

I still feel sorry and worry for those who will suffer through no fault of their own, but can't really be arsed to argue with wind-up merchants and fantasists (and that is by no means all Brexiteers on here, but I think it's fairly clear who I'm referring to).

I will now retake my previous position, along with the EU, of bemused bystanders. Although, I'm sure there will be occasional buffoonery that will force a response :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I don't believe I called you thick. I confirmed that my completely unscientific findings back up the statistical research that said that if you were older and less educated you were more likely to vote Leave :shrug:

There has been some reasonable debate on this thread but, I have to say, I always thought that as the outcome became clearer and clearer there may be some movement towards the position the Government were always going to have to take. (And I think, in a lot of cases there is). Now the outcome is staring us in the face, the swivel eyed loons have just become more radical.

In the last week, these have all been suggested by some of the posters on here

It's all Cameron's fault for letting us vote.

We wouldn't be in this situation if Boris had been elected PM.

We can go for a WTO 'no deal' Brexit with no borders or customs.

The reason the EU/Japan are rushing through the trade deal is so that we can benefit, when we go to the EU to ask for extensions to membership.

I honestly can't be arsed with what are hopefully wind-up merchants or sadly, people who have so little grasp of reality.

I'm long retired, with a private income, my kids are both well educated and in careers that should be effected very little by Brexit, however it goes. Ironically I have benefited, in no way intentionally, from this 2 year and ongoing clusterf*** at Government. So I don't see the whole cock-up having much of an effect on me or my family.

I still feel sorry and worry for those who will suffer through no fault of their own, but can't really be arsed to argue with wind-up merchants and fantasists (and that is by no means all Brexiteers on here, but I think it's fairly clear who I'm referring to).

I will now retake my previous position, along with the EU, of bemused bystanders. Although, I'm sure there will be occasional buffoonery that will force a response :thumbsup:

Will you also be retaking your previous position of thinking Brexit wont happen and we will remain in the EU or is that previous position you had too crackers to hold again?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've just thought of an excellent, almost guaranteed, way of getting this thread locked.

But I'm not telling. Oh no.

Don't you dare or you might see my dishy meg tooth

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
How do you know Dr Fox doesn't have an even better deal already in the bag just for the UK?

dj-dr-fox.jpg

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
This post sums up the daftest of the remoaners. Utterly clueless as to why people voted to Leave so pick random reasons out of your arse. A return of British Empire?......Blue passports?.....Keep the pound? Are you really that dumb?
No wait, dont answer that, because you clearly are. When everyone else was talking about controlling immigration and managing the numbers that enter the UK from the EU, all you can see in your blinkered universe is "stopping immigration" completely. Its a special kind of bigoted stupid you and a handful of the thickest remoaners on here have on that topic to believe that.
Is there some sort of in-breeding programme going on that you lot arnt letting on about? Is the mutated daddy one of clueless wonders that actually agreed with your nonsense and gave you a thumbing?
Dont bother replying, save your braincells for choosing tonights pot noodle flavour.

Ooh, someone is upset? Touch a nerve did I :tantrum:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Well I quite often do YouGov polls among others,and perhaps sometimes I might have a bit of a laugh with the answers.I bet I am not the only one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here