Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
No one.

EU agrees in minutes to start trade talks

Britain and the European Union will begin “exploratory” talks on a trade pact within weeks, it emerged today, as the two sides formalised their breakthrough agreement in Brexit negotiations.

After only a few minutes of talks, leaders of the EU 27 member states signed off on a three-page statement authorising the start of transition negotiations. They also agreed to begin informal discussions about Britain’s long-term relationship with the bloc before formal talks in late March.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/eu-agrees-in-minutes-to-start-trade-talks-3b36l3lhl

Thanks for that. When does an informal discussion become a talk? Not being difficult, just want to know they are in agreement on something!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
.. :D

Answer to above question - People

So where would you put the controls for the free movement of people ?

(And I see we're going to start discussing how much the extra 2 years membership of the single market is going to cost us on top of the agreed costs)

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Thanks for that. When does an informal discussion become a talk? Not being difficult, just want to know they are in agreement on something!

I expect there is a lot of planning and timetabling needed for such a complex negotiation especially considering the timescale. They might even try to clear away some areas that already have mutual agreement to concentrate on the contetious elements. Once agreed I would think the formal talks begin.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I expect there is a lot of planning and timetabling needed for such a complex negotiation especially considering the timescale. They might even try to clear away some areas that already have mutual agreement to concentrate on the contetious elements. Once agreed I would think the formal talks begin.

I think the trade negotiations will be tough but not complex. I think the whole idea of agreeing no borders and legislative alignment first was to allow them to concentrate on trade negotiations.

That's why the EU won't allow us to backtrack. Each time anything from phase 1 changed, you would have to start phase 2 negotiations all over again.

And I think I've made my feelings known on the timescales a few times.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funny how it’s gone very quiet and when Brexiteers do pop their heads above the parapet they’re fleeting, vague and evasive. What’s happened to you all?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think the trade negotiations will be tough but not complex. I think the whole idea of agreeing no borders and legislative alignment first was to allow them to concentrate on trade negotiations.

That's why the EU won't allow us to backtrack. Each time anything from phase 1 changed, you would have to start phase 2 negotiations all over again.

And I think I've made my feelings known on the timescales a few times.

I don't think we have agreed on 'no borders' and full 'legislative alignment'. On the plus side, we start in full alignment so it's a matter of how much we diverge from what we have now which is a bigger headache for the EU as they have to establish 27 sets of red lines some of which are probably contradictory.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Brexit really is bringing out the worse in the UK. Cameron opened a real pandoras box

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ling-for-her-to-be-hanged-as-a-traitor-brexit

Theresa May,April '17, As always, aware of the mood of the people, "This year, after a period of intense debate over the right future for our country, there is a sense that people are coming together and uniting behind the opportunities that lie ahead," she said.
"For at heart, this country is one great union of people and nations with a proud history and a bright future."

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Funny how it’s gone very quiet and when Brexiteers do pop their heads above the parapet they’re fleeting, vague and evasive. What’s happened to you all?

Very odd ? After all, the only thing that happened was that they lost a vote, maybe they should just " Get over it " ?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What? Are you saying we should stay in the EU ?

It may have escaped your notice, but we don't have any now

No, we have border controls at entry points now. The EU citizen will lose their current free movement rights to a new status yet to be defined (In my opinion).

As for NI

British or Irish citizens do not require to show a passport when travelling between their respective countries, but those crossing by ferry or air from Northern / the Republic of Ireland to mainland UK will require photo identification. For non-UK or Ireland citizens, this will mean national identification cards or passports. Despite the absence of passport controls between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, non-EU citizens must be in possession of a UK visa (if necessary).

which can be adapted.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I don't think we have agreed on 'no borders' and full 'legislative alignment'. On the plus side, we start in full alignment so it's a matter of how much we diverge from what we have now which is a bigger headache for the EU as they have to establish 27 sets of red lines some of which are probably contradictory.

Then you are labouring under a severe misunderstanding.

But back to the point, where are you stopping the movement of people.

I'll make the question simple again
Ireland /NI or NI/Britain
(And, just to be clear, it want either / or)

*edit* just seen your reply. Hard border between NI and Britain. So different rules for different parts of Britain. I can't imagine why TM hasn't thought of that.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
No, we have border controls at entry points now. The EU citizen will lose their current free movement rights to a new status yet to be defined (In my opinion).

As for NI

British or Irish citizens do not require to show a passport when travelling between their respective countries, but those crossing by ferry or air from Northern / the Republic of Ireland to mainland UK will require photo identification. For non-UK or Ireland citizens, this will mean national identification cards or passports. Despite the absence of passport controls between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, non-EU citizens must be in possession of a UK visa (if necessary).

which can be adapted.

Thanks for entering into a debate without insulting people but I'm afraid that IMHO you are so out of touch with political reality that I don't believe any further discussion is worthwhile for either of us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

As for NI

which can be adapted.

So the hard border is in the North Sea then?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Brexit really is bringing out the worse in the UK. Cameron opened a real pandoras box

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ling-for-her-to-be-hanged-as-a-traitor-brexit

One, from a man in Tonbridge, Kent – about 150 miles from Soubry’s Broxtow constituency – read: “You deserve to be HUNG for your attack on our democracy yesterday. WE VOTED OUT! OUT! OUT!” The writer, who gave his full address and telephone number, ended the email: “MAY YOU BURN IN HELL FOR ETERNITY.”

Never mind the true voice of the left, that's the true voice of Brexit right there.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Never mind the true voice of the left, that's the true voice of Brexit right there.

Its funny how such vile abuse generally comes from the pro-Brexit camp. Hope the guys gets a similar comeuppance as the 4th Viscount St David's did

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

I’m still here. Out of interest ( genuine question ) what do you actually think the final outcome/deal will look like. Do you think we will be in or out or something in between?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here