Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
It was made pretty clear that having the freedom to strike our own trade deals when we want, with who we want, prioritising our interests rather than diluting them for 27 others was a potential benefit of leaving the EU. Of course, other opnions are available. I doubt you have the same views as all other remainers on this thread (eg rabid Federalists or far left loons).

In what way has the European way of doing trade deals been bad for the UK at all? You make it sound like we're suffering under the status quo - we're not! We had a lot of 'freedom' to strike our own deals with who we wanted, when we wanted back when we could sail a few gunboats into port. We aren't going to dictate terms to anybody in 2019.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It was made pretty clear that having the freedom to strike our own trade deals when we want, with who we want, prioritising our interests rather than diluting them for 27 others was a potential benefit of leaving the EU. Of course, other opnions are available. I doubt you have the same views as all other remainers on this thread (eg rabid Federalists or far left loons).

Just out of interest, who on the thread do you nominate as rabid federalists and far left loons? I haven't noticed any of the former and the obvious example of the latter was banned ages ago (and was of course a Leaver).

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
sig.jpg

Oh dear,this seems to have upset our remoaning snowflakes,and I thought they liked Winston Churchill quotes!:rolleyes:
Anybody who still thinks the EU is the world's biggest economy,or biggest market,even before we have left must be stupid enough to work for the OBR,IFS,LSE,or Uncle Tom Cobbley-what a load of old bolox.If the Irish keep kicking up a fuss,they had better not come to us with a begging bowl next time their tin-pot economy goes bust!And good luck trying Trump as well!:lolol::whistle:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Meanwhile, in news elsewhere the government is apparently intending to keep the final payment to the EU a secret. Parliament won't be told. The public can go hang. There is no reason for this other than to serve the internal convenience of the Conservative Party. Is this the parliamentary sovereignty that makes trashing the economy worthwhile?

it is an interesting report that the bill will be kept secret, not sure how that would wash with anyone. however there is another party involved that may want to keep the bill secret, the EU. theres also the possiblity that it isnt final, rather than fix a payment they (the EU) may want us to pay for certain liabilities as they arise rather than a fixed fee. and of course we dont actually know what the bill is to cover, other than pensions and known contingent liabilities, the EU have never said.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Patterson makes it sound so easy and it isn't of course.

Being outside the customs union, we are going to make trade deals with the rest of the world with different arrangements to the EU.

I can't see how a hard border can exist. It would be a smugglers paradise

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Patterson makes it sound so easy and it isn't of course.

he makes it sound easy with the coveat "if there is a will". if there is no will to find solutions and only look at this border issue as a problem, it will be very difficult. today so much goods documentation is electronic, scanning vehicles is common place, link the two together and you have the basis of an invisible customs border. you may chose to reject this out of hand, or chose to accept its the beginning of a solution.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't see how downgrading our status of a member of the world's largest economy does us any favours whatsoever. I am interested to see how we are going to get deals with the big economies of the future without major concessions.

Really? ...and here was I thinking you were a closet Brexiteer. Which major concessions did Canada or Japan give to get a deal with the EU?

In what way has the European way of doing trade deals been bad for the UK at all? You make it sound like we're suffering under the status quo - we're not! We had a lot of 'freedom' to strike our own deals with who we wanted, when we wanted back when we could sail a few gunboats into port. We aren't going to dictate terms to anybody in 2019.

How long does it take to get a trade deal done between 29 nations and how long between two? Is there a downside if a regional parliament in a member state can scupper a trade deal that has been negotiated for several years? I also recall watching a program where a representative of Tate and Lyle was complaining that one element of an EU trade deal that was insisted upon by another member state was damaging to their business.Obviously in a bilateral trade deal negotiation we are only concerned with getting the best deal for the UK. The theoretical upside to being an economic block member is you get more clout/concessions. Can you provide any examples where the UK got a better trade deal with another country than they could have achieved if they were not members?

Who said we would be dictating terms?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Just out of interest, who on the thread do you nominate as rabid federalists and far left loons? I haven't noticed any of the former and the obvious example of the latter was banned ages ago (and was of course a Leaver).

That reminds me, I forgot the undemocratic loons category.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

But post the referendum it’s still as clear as mud with our politicians so leavers on here not sure if they are withdrawing like the OP or opening ourselves up like a pure trading low tax economy. Appalling. But it was so predictable to many of us that the shower who sold the country are pup are unable to provide a vision and a path to greater properisty, only confusion and less prosperity. Shame on them

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As easily foreseeable issue arises after easily foreseeable issue, and feeble attempts to hit them into the long grass fail, I think I can detect the faintest hint of desperation .

16 months and all we've done is push the date we leave the single market back from 2 to 5 years.

Go for an insult, it's the future

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Even Thatcher got this, she wanted to pay less (who doesn’t) but she got the free market benefits of the EU and global trade deals. We now have a right wing of the Tory party who have taken the country into the abyss, going beyond even her. But they are not visionary, just want more for themselves not the country.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
But post the referendum it’s still as clear as mud with our politicians so leavers on here not sure if they are withdrawing like the OP or opening ourselves up like a pure trading low tax economy. Appalling. But it was so predictable to many of us that the shower who sold the country are pup are unable to provide a vision and a path to greater properisty, only confusion and less prosperity. Shame on them

Have a read and see if that false choice you present matches the negotiation path/objectives the government have already set out and put in their manifesto.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/17/theresa-mays-brexit-speech-full/

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Even Thatcher got this, she wanted to pay less (who doesn’t) but she got the free market benefits of the EU and global trade deals. We now have a right wing of the Tory party who have taken the country into the abyss, going beyond even her. But they are not visionary, just want more for themselves not the country.

In Thatchers day the EU might have been a big player,but has been getting smaller ever since.GDP,market size,market share,all contracting.The duck might not be dead quite yet,but it's sliding relentlessly down hill-time to get off!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Have a read and see if that false choice you present matches the negotiation path/objectives the government have already set out and put in their manifesto.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/17/theresa-mays-brexit-speech-full/

But May does not have control of her cabinet, she is possibly, probably, the most ineffectual PM this great country has had in modern times. If that is her list she is no further forward now than she was over 10 months ago. And even leavers on here who thought they voted for a more protectionist UK still think that the case.

Theresa May's 12-point Brexit plan
Provide certainty about the process of leaving the EU
Control of our own laws
Strengthen the Union between the four nations of the United Kingdom
Maintain the Common Travel Area with Ireland
Brexit must mean control of the number of people who come to Britain from Europe
Rights for EU nationals in Britain and British nationals in the EU
Protect workers' rights
Free trade with European markets through a free trade agreement
New trade agreements with other countries
The best place for science and innovation
Co-operation in the fight against crime and terrorism
A smooth, orderly Brexit

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
In Thatchers day the EU might have been a big player,but has been getting smaller ever since.GDP,market size,market share,all contracting.The duck might not be dead quite yet,but it's sliding relentlessly down hill-time to get off!

Ah, we are back on the Brexit lines such as the Netherlands would follow us out (they didn’t), the French would follow us out (quite the opposite, they are emboldened), the Greeks would bring down the Euro and the Eu (nope again). Now the EU will die because Britain is to leave in theory. Hmm, cried wolf a bit too much me thinks

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
That reminds me, I forgot the undemocratic loons category.

Wow. You must have been the king of the playground.

I was reminded of one of Cloughie's comments the other day. "Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

I think I'll leave you to it.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Wow. You must have been the king of the playground.

I was reminded of one of Cloughie's comments the other day. "Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

I think I'll leave you to it.

Never have an opinion that might challenge a Brexiteer on the NSC BrExit Thread, they believe they know better than anyone else, regardless

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Really? ...and here was I thinking you were a closet Brexiteer. Which major concessions did Canada or Japan give to get a deal with the EU?

How long does it take to get a trade deal done between 29 nations and how long between two? Is there a downside if a regional parliament in a member state can scupper a trade deal that has been negotiated for several years? I also recall watching a program where a representative of Tate and Lyle was complaining that one element of an EU trade deal that was insisted upon by another member state was damaging to their business.Obviously in a bilateral trade deal negotiation we are only concerned with getting the best deal for the UK. The theoretical upside to being an economic block member is you get more clout/concessions. Can you provide any examples where the UK got a better trade deal with another country than they could have achieved if they were not members?

Who said we would be dictating terms?

I can certainly tell you about how disadvantaged the UK economy was before we joined the common market, and then kicked off the economic malaise of the post-war period.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here