Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dont think so. Line 49 specifically states the whole UK. 'In absence of other agreement'. It formally opens the option of soft brexit i think.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I reckon it will be the Norway model.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It will be a fun morning with people saying "we are lee aging the single market" with others pointing out "we might be leaving but we need to follow rules we have no say over"

Bargain for 40 billion.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
So here it is.

here's the more NI specific line - 'the UK will maintain full alignment with those rules of the Internal Market and the Customs Union which, now or in the future, support North-South cooperation, the all island economy and the protection of the 1998 Agreement.'

In other words...we follow rules we have no say over. Control is well and truly back. I predict a Farage/Reece-mogg meltdown by lunchtime. Soft Brexit folks.

I can't see the EU being down with us picking and choosing which members of the EU we wish to retain single market/freedom of movement status with and which ones we don't.

This outcome can only lead to the softest of softest Brexits.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well glad we've given the Irish some guarantees this morning. Farage will be wetting the bed this morning over this text.

Capture.JPG

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It will be a fun morning with people saying "we are lee aging the single market" with others pointing out "we might be leaving but we need to follow rules we have no say over"

Bargain for 40 billion.

Seems like a bargain when you consider what Norway pay, well done Theresa.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
see lots of conclusions being jumped to, based on one single paragraph without the context and ignoring the previous drafted lines. this is, presumably, relating to Anglo-Irish relations in the event of no other deal being agreed. just as it was before. they changed the words and ran it past the DUP so they felt loved, jobs a good-un.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The way it’s going is the UK is still in the EU in all but name and the EU gets to power ahead without the UK and it’s silly constant vetoes holding it back. I could agree to this. I never thought there could be a win-win with Brexit.

if only the EU had recognised this 2 years ago and offered that to Cameron?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well, wasn’t that all a COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY as many of us knew it would be.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So here it is.

here's the more NI specific line - 'the UK will maintain full alignment with those rules of the Internal Market and the Customs Union which, now or in the future, support North-South cooperation, the all island economy and the protection of the 1998 Agreement.'

In other words...we follow rules we have no say over. Control is well and truly back. I predict a Farage/Reece-mogg meltdown by lunchtime. Soft Brexit folks.
I reckon that the amount of any Farage grizzling is inversely proportionate to how good the deal is.

If he melts down it is the sign of a better deal. I hope he does.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Mrs May will still hide behind:

We will get the best possible deal for the UK
Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed
Brexit means Brexit

However stand by for a complete meltdown within the Tory party between hard and soft Brexit supporters, as they digest the softest soft Brexit.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I reckon that the amount of any Farage grizzling is inversely proportionate to how good the deal is.

Great comment. As Remainer I guess my reaction is best summed up as 'relief'. I think it shows the folly of the 'just walk away' crowd - although they will already be getting their crayons out writing 'Judas' on various banners. I think that the EU has shown considerable flexibility and patience towards us - but then I would say that, wouldn't I? Anyway, a rare and refreshing outbreak of something resembling common-sense, perhaps.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The JOINT REPORT FROM THE NEGOTIATORS OF THE EUROPEAN UNION AND THE UNITED KINGDOM GOVERNMENT ON PROGRESS DURING PHASE 1 OF NEGOTIATIONS UNDER ARTICLE 50 TEU ON THE UNITED KINGDOM'S ORDERLY WITHDRAWAL FROM THE EUROPEAN UNION is here in all its glory:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/joint_report.pdf

#enjoy

financial settlement manages to avoid any explicit number being published.

skim readding bits, it looks like they've behaved like grown ups, they are accepting we're really going to do this and lets make it amicable.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
financial settlement manages to avoid any explicit number being published.

To be fair, David Davis hasn’t bothered to think of a number yet. He had an important meeting to go to.

#omnishambles

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Well LeaveEu are not happy:

Complete Capitulation - UK-EU joint report: "In the absence of agreed solutions, the United Kingdom will maintain FULL ALIGNMENT with those rules of the Internal Market and the Customs Union which, now or in the future, support North-South cooperation."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here