Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Why are you avoiding the question?
You said, and I quote...

'Impressive that so many on here know the future tariffs re the fishing industry before we've even started negotiating our new trade relationship with the EU.... '

Im asking you what the current tariff is, but you seem reluctant to answer.

What relevance does your question have to my pointing out other people seem to know what the future tariff will be?

Speaking of reluctant to answer.

What happened to our fishing industry while we were in the EU?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
What relevance does your question have to my pointing out other people seem to know what the future tariff will be?

Speaking of reluctant to answer.

What happened to our fishing industry while we were in the EU?

Well, its clear that the answer is an embarrassment for you.

The reason for the fishing industry decline, is over fishing. The EU stabalised this.
Now that we will be paying tariffs (where we dont presently....as you know), and losing access to Norwegian waters, where we catch large quantities of Cod, will be lost, as will the Irish, and French waters. Hey, if you think that losing fishing grounds, and then paying tariffs is the way forward, good luck to you.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008

The reason for the fishing industry decline, is over fishing. The EU stabalised this.
Now that we will be paying tariffs, and losing access to Norwegian waters, where we catch large quantities of Cod, will be lost, as will the Irish, and French waters. Hey, if you think that losing fishing grounds, and then paying tariffs is the way forward, good luck to you.

BUT NO SPANISH SNEAKING IN AND TAKING THEIR SPOILS EITHER ???
regards
DR

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think it's pretty obvious that ManOfSussex is a bit more clued up on the fishing industry than you. I'd drop the subject if I were you. I'll give you a new subject: Why do Leave voters bother with this thread?

Most of them don't.
They are either too thick to contribute or far too busy rolling fags and talking about how much better it was in their day, whilst passing on advice to their many offspring, as to how to exploit the system to maximum benefit for minimum output. The pitiful underclass, that knows everything about their rights but nothing about their responsibilties. The self obsessed, self contained, overweight, soap and reality show devotees, lapping up facebook and celebrity magazines and having not the slightest interest in current affairs. They have no grasp of how politics or economics work. Their lives are barren, devoid of serious debate. The haven of the trivial and banal.
Vast swathes of this socio-economic group voted Leave. The government should introduce a system of ID, to identify them and expose them to public scorn and ridicule. A notice worn around the neck readng..." I'm sorry, I voted Leave but I didn't understand what I was voting for " ....should do the trick.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

The reason for the fishing industry decline, is over fishing.

Not at all, we both know the answer but it had no relevance to my point.

The reason for the decimation of the UK fishing industry was the Common Fisheries Policy according to UK fishermen.

Astonished to see so many defenders of the CFP on this thread considering even the EU admitted they ****** up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...apologises-for-disastrous-fishing-policy.html

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Most of them don't.
They are either too thick to contribute or far too busy rolling fags and talking about how much better it was in their day, whilst passing on advice to their many offspring, as to how to exploit the system to maximum benefit for minimum output. The pitiful underclass, that knows everything about their rights but nothing about their responsibilties. The self obsessed, self contained, overweight, soap and reality show devotees, lapping up facebook and celebrity magazines and having not the slightest interest in current affairs. They have no grasp of how politics or economics work. Their lives are barren, devoid of serious debate. The haven of the trivial and banal.
Vast swathes of this socio-economic group voted Leave. The government should introduce a system of ID, to identify them and expose them to public scorn and ridicule. A notice worn around the neck readng..." I'm sorry, I voted Leave but I didn't understand what I was voting for " ....should do the trick.

Should give the contract to Cambridge Analytica they can do the job of identifying them, they'd do it a lot cheaper than civil servants

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not at all, we both know the answer but it had no relevance to my point.

The reason for the decimation of the UK fishing industry was the Common Fisheries Policy according to UK fishermen.

Astonished to see so many defenders of the CFP on this thread considering even the EU admitted they ****** up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...apologises-for-disastrous-fishing-policy.html

It had every relevance to your point. Any tariff is not as good as we have it now.
Yeah, they ****ed up... and started addressing it. In 2011, if not earlier.
So, because of this, we are now willing to pay a tariff to export 75% of our fish to the EU, whilst losing access to Norwegian, again, were we fish large quantities of Cod, French, Irish waters. Its a brilliant plan. Hope it works out.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It had every relevance to your point. Any tariff is not as good as we have it now.
Yeah, they ****ed up... and started addressing it. In 2011, if not earlier.
So, because of this, we are now willing to pay a tariff to export 75% of our fish to the EU, whilst losing access to Norwegian, again, were we fish large quantities of Cod, French, Irish waters. Its a brilliant plan. Hope it works out.

As good as we have it now has seen tens of thousands of job losses, poorly enforced quotas, wrong quotas, tons of fish being thrown back in the sea every day ,decimation in some fish stocks.

So because of this some people voted for change. How do you know there will be a tariff after trade negotiations and which waters we will have access to?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As good as we have it now has seen tens of thousands of job losses, poorly enforced quotas, wrong quotas, tons of fish being thrown back in the sea every day ,decimation in some fish stocks.

So because of this some people voted for change. How do you know there will be a tariff after trade negotiations and which waters we will have access to?

Some people "voted for change". Do you not think it would have been prudent to find out what those changes might be rather than just blindly voting? Change can work both ways.

Sincerely, I hope the fishermen's lot improves, I do. But it won't.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not the same people are laughing now.

Yes, they are. The same people who took him seriously stil ltake him seriously. The same people that laughed at him still laugh at him. He is the same risible individual he always was.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I've been impressed by the passion of debate on the fishing issue. I looked up the numbers employed:

Around 12,100 fishermen were active in the UK. Over 1,900 were part-time.(2015)

I was surprised at this number (please correct me if I've got it wrong); I thought it would be bigger. Of course this could well be the result of our EU membership - decimating a once flourishing industry and thus inflaming the sense of anger following the transitional Brexit arrangements announced yesterday. As Jacob Rees-Mogg (not someone whom I'd usually quote with approval) said today - it's OK saying that you can't make omelettes without breaking eggs until you are the person that suffers as a result (in truth I might not have done full justice to his utterance). And we don't know how many fisherman will lose their livelihoods by the short-term maintenance of the CFP status quo.

But......................compared to the unspecified impact on jobs across a whole spectrum of industries that is likely (on most accounts) to follow Brexit this really is a very, very small figure. And yet I'm sure Brexiteers are (genuinely) furious and MPs from fishing communities are (rightly) queuing up to vent their spleen. This to me reinforces the image of the 'angry Brexiteer'. Will they get this angry when the jobs of many more thousands are put at risk following Brexit? Is there something more patriotic or intrinsically noble about defending our fishing industry than defending jobs of say, financial services? Will Rees--Mogg's Brexit omelette taste better when whole swathes of jobs are sacrificed in its making? Will the Remainers be permitted to be this angry or will it be perceived as talking down Britain?

I raised the issue of Gibraltar earlier and it fell rather flat. No problem. (The population is around 33,000.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here