Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I guess then they'll be done with no deal and May's deal, they will then support the government in a no confidence motion and, bingo, we get move on to "the People's Vote".. which Im guessing is the best "result" that Centerists can hope for.

If May's Deal is voted down twice in a few days we are then heading for no deal. I don't believe enough Remain Tory MP's would vote to help bring down the government to force a general election and there isn't a majority for a second referendum. :shrug:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If May's Deal is voted down twice in a few days we are then heading for no deal. I don't believe enough Remain Tory MP's would vote to help bring down the government to force a general election and there isn't a majority for a second referendum. :shrug:

If it's no deal/second ref I believe there will be enough for a second ref. We shall see.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
??

“EU top lawyer: UK can unilaterally withdraw Article 50
The European Court of Justice’s advocate general says the UK does not need approval of other EU countries to withdraw from Brexit.

“The top lawyer rejected the argument put forward by the European Commission and Council that Article 50 only allows a country to revoke its notification in the event of a unanimous decision of the European Council.”

Seems pretty clear to me. Did you read the article? otherwise you might look slightly silly like you do with stating the government will introduce mobile phone legislation to maintain free roaming, and then posting a link to back up your post but which actually states the opposite. :thumbsup:

:facepalm:

Revoke equals withdraw

Extend equals ..... well extend the process. Now you're just acting dumb.

And it's been VERY well documented that to EXTEND A50 requires the agreement of ALL 27 other EU members. I'm surprised it passed you by.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I’m discussing whether the U.K. can unilateral withdraw a50. Not whether an act of Parliament is needed to do it. You’re conflating two different things.

No you're not ...... I responded to a post saying Labour have pledged to EXTEND A50 not WITHDRAW it. You responded to me with 'Wrong' - you're now looking very silly and no doubt will try and wriggle like you did with your misreading of a graph.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A link to a Daily Mail article from 2012 to attack John Bercow with.

#desperate

*Tut* plastic class warrior defending a Tory .. once a member of the anti-immigrant Monday Club/merchant Banker (make up your own jokes). If only he had private schooling you would be onside foaming at the mouth :D

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I’m discussing whether the U.K. can unilateral withdraw a50. Not whether an act of Parliament is needed to do it. You’re conflating two different things.

No. I think you are. The whole discussion was based on labour saying they would pledge to extend A50. Go back and read it. The ability to withdraw is an entire irrelevance and hadn’t been mentioned until you did (allegedly correcting something a poster had got right)

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It strikes me that the line from Labour will be "we'll extend", which will be rejected and thus becomes "we'll revoke", which can be done unilaterally. Interesting moment as actually Labour has often found itself ahead of the Government during the Brexit process. First to propose a transition, first to propose uniliateral declaration of rights for EU citizens, first to push for a customs plan. All subsequently adopted by HMG.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Letting the feminist cause down TB ... the good old 'Blaming it on the wife' defence.

article-2220824-159A1829000005DC-419_1024x615_large.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ow-Speaker-splashes-personal-plate--wife.html

A prime example of personalised number plates = self-absorbed twats?

I've never been a feminist.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Tom Newton-Dunn said on Sky News yesterday there would need to be 6 new primary acts of parliament to pass before March 29 for a no deal to happen.

That's on top of 800-1000 new statuary instruments required.
Numerous systems and processes to set up.
Hundreds of International and EU agreements to be replicated.
All the regulatory bodies to be set up, as well as the infrastructural requirements and staffing compliments to function as a country.

All in less than 80 days as of now.

Of course no deal could happen and I appreciate we've inadvertently received some scraps thrown our way from The EU's no deal contingencies, but it's still a choice between being an international joke of a country, or an being an international pariah. The numbers are still circa 100 ERG/No deal supporting MP's v 500+ who are opposed to no deal.

'3 weeks maximum' is what I've read is being said in Paris and Berlin at how long we'd last if we did no deal, before we come to our senses and beg for a Norwegian arrangement...............................

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
*Tut* plastic class warrior defending a Tory .. once a member of the anti-immigrant Monday Club/merchant Banker (make up your own jokes). If only he had private schooling you would be onside foaming at the mouth :D

Was there anything interesting about the build up to the London Olympics in that link as well incidentally? Did Chelsea win The Champions League? Did England beat South Africa in the Test series? How did England get on in Euro2012 under Capello? I didn't look.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

You're very quiet with your green light is on HT !

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Is he ? My understanding is that the speaker is there to uphold process and procedure - to be neutral so not support MPs or government but to ensure everything is done by the rulebook. He seems to have stretched his role on this occassion.

If you can find the rule in the rulebook that he broke, let me know.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here