View Poll Results: Is Theresa May is out of her depth?

Voters
588. You may not vote on this poll
  • She doesn't know what she is doing

417 70.92%
  • She knows exactly what she is doing

171 29.08%
Page 5258 of 6005 FirstFirst ... 4258475851585208524852555256525752585259526052615268530853585758 ... LastLast
Results 52,571 to 52,580 of 60047
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rivet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then there is no vote worth making. Nobody to vote for, after all democracy would have been eviscerated.
    There is no party or candidate that represents the people?

The pigs at the trough have won.
    Too many Florence Nightingales. Not enough Robin Hoods.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      Now I know you're on a wind up. There are 751 MEPs of which the UK have 73.

This explains how the European Parliament works. It's not just MEPs but each head of state as well.

Don't give them facts, they know the EU is undemocratic because they keep saying so in the Sun and the Mail.
      Posted by Kosh, 19/7/2016 - 14th - 11th this year, or I'll eat my big Ritchie Blackmore hat.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post
      Agreed. However, these pages indicate that some people, unbelievably, actually think they can argue that it hasn't happened!
      You are working on an assumption that all the Brexit ins and outs had been set out prior to the referendum.” We have some hard negotiations ahead of us”
      A pound for every time I heard something along those lines. The real cry babies are not remainers who cannot accept the result but the leavers who want to pull up the drawbridge, stay in some sort of isolation bubble at the cost of the people of the UK and are not getting their way.
      It’s making the best of a bad lot now.
      So, many, many thanks and see you soon, because it’s not a goodbye, I know I will come back, I have to.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
      Little by little Labour are going to be forced to declare where they stand on Brexit. I can see JC being the 'man of the people' and responding to the mess by offering another referendum following an election. The way this is going on I think this would get him in government
      He’d have to. Because anyone worth their salt can see through his cowardice on the whole issue up to this point.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
      How people can direct their ire towards Brussels while voting in government after government who represent the interests of themselves, their cronies, the banks and big business over the people who put the X in the box is beyond me.

Brexit or Remain.

Nothing is going to improve in politics while you are still voting these clowns into power.
      And we’re still voting these clowns in (and I include the current potential Labour government in that) because we have a flawed political system that allows them power without forcing them to do anything remotely worthwhile for it. You can’t ask politicians to represent the people when there’s a voting system in place that represents only a tiny minority of our country.
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Don't give them facts, they know the EU is undemocratic because they keep saying so in the Sun and the Mail.
      its undeomcratic because it upside down, EU parliament is the revision chamber. its like us being ruled by Lords rather than Commons. meanwhile the day to day executive is the appointed commission, with no members voted on by their home countries. but you know that and remainers are happy with that arrangement.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
      How people can direct their ire towards Brussels while voting in government after government who represent the interests of themselves, their cronies, the banks and big business over the people who put the X in the box is beyond me.

Brexit or Remain.

Nothing is going to improve in politics while you are still voting these clowns into power.
      well done, win prize for ironic post of the day.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.

Non Guardian readers beware

10 Not allowed!
      I think that filthy left wing rag the Guardian have got it about right.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      So, many, many thanks and see you soon, because it’s not a goodbye, I know I will come back, I have to.
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      its undeomcratic because it upside down, EU parliament is the revision chamber. its like us being ruled by Lords rather than Commons. meanwhile the day to day executive is the appointed commission, with no members voted on by their home countries. but you know that and remainers are happy with that arrangement.
      To Leavers/Euro-sceptics the Commission is indeed at the heart of the evil empire. It's no more (or less) democratic than any other civil service but without doubt it is more powerful than any other civil service and from its inception it has been charged with taking the EU forward - which inevitably means incursion into areas which previously had been the preserve of sovereign national governments. Had this not been the case it is probably that the EU would have faltered and simply 'stopped' - which of course would be great in the eyes of some but would render the whole project rather pointless.

If the EU has achieved anything positive it's probably, arguably mainly due to the Commission. Ditto the negatives. But it does kind of 'go with the supranational territory'. But one thing it isn't is bloated and huge. The size of the EU 'civil service' is tiny compared with those of national governments. And at least they didn't all go to Oxbridge, are not part of the UK Establishment and wanting to work to subvert The Will of The People (sorry: a different strain of slightly paranoid narrative crept in there).

One of the ironies of the Leaver position is that the only way they could inject more (direct) democracy into the EU's institutional arrangements would be either by having a directly elected President (which they would regards as something deeply sinister) or by bolstering the powers of the Parliament - a Parliament in which our UKIP friends fulfilled their democratic mandate by taking the money but effectively doing nothing. I'm not sure that we can take lessons on responsible democracy from that direction?

But sure: it's not everyone's cup of tea.
      Last edited by Garry Nelson's teacher; 10-07-2018 at 06:55.
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      Prove them false. I'll give you 24 hours.
      You're making out that not having to join the Euro was a concession to the UK. The truth is that no member of the EU at the time HAD to join the Euro, it was a choice. New members do now have to join. So being generous and calling it a consession, it was a consession to all members not a specific UK concession. In reality it wasn't a concession at all.
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."