View Poll Results: Is Theresa May is out of her depth?

Voters
588. You may not vote on this poll
  • She doesn't know what she is doing

    417 70.92%
  • She knows exactly what she is doing

    171 29.08%
Page 5256 of 6004 FirstFirst ... 4256475651565206524652535254525552565257525852595266530653565756 ... LastLast
Results 52,551 to 52,560 of 60035
  1. #52551
    Members Weststander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Withdean area
    Posts
    17,765


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfSussex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps, but Corbyn and McDonnell's hand may be dictated to by collective policy decisions made at Conference, particularly if Len McCluskey and other union big-wigs have a view on things - see Trident.
    Although I don't obsess with NSC's political and EU threads, I'm always versed on current affairs so I am aware of the Trident issue. The construction of nuclear-armed submarines is another unlikely situation on the left, where the 10,000's jobs override what would normally be an anti-Nato/CND/Russia's--alright-actually line of reasoning.

    The key to the planning of Corbyn and Co is the votes of those ex-UKIP people in the Midlands/North marginals. If they are to get the opportunity to give the UK a high taxation/high spending Government, they desparately need those votes and seats. Otherwise it will likely be hung Parliaments for some time to come, and the chance will be lost.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #52552

      0 Not allowed!
      That Caroline Lucas has kept saying the same thing and has seemed to stick by his principles throughout this whole complete clusterf***
    • #52553
      Hedging up neilbard's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Tyringham
      Posts
      3,474


      3 Not allowed!
      I see no ships, only feckin hardships.

      Name:  article-P-37979416-f9bc-4b49-837c-ddda436b6b54-6T1V5hqhqHSK2-153_634x356.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  61.0 KB
      Weather forecast for tonight: dark.
    • #52554
      We wunt be druv ManOfSussex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      Rape of Hastings
      Posts
      8,932


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Although I don't obsess with NSC's political and EU threads, I'm always versed on current affairs so I am aware of the Trident issue. The construction of nuclear-armed submarines is another unlikely situation on the left, where the 10,000's jobs override what would normally be an anti-Nato/CND/Russia's--alright-actually line of reasoning.

      The key to the planning of Corbyn and Co is the votes of those ex-UKIP people in the Midlands/North marginals. If they are to get the opportunity to give the UK a high taxation/high spending Government, they desparately need those votes and seats. Otherwise it will likely be hung Parliaments for some time to come, and the chance will be lost.
      They need those seats, but they also need seat gains in Scotland and elsewhere. Aside from whatever motions Momentum and a pro-EU membership may put forward at conference, the Unions and their members will have a view on things too, particularly in regards to single market access and jobs in Labour constituencies that may be negatively affected by how things go under the Tories - it's a very difficult balancing act they face.
      Each to his choice, and I rejoice the lot has fallen to me
      In a fair ground-in a fair ground -
      Yea, Sussex by the sea!
    • #52555
      Members Super Steve Earle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Work in Brighton
      Posts
      3,197


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I really don't think you actually do, no matter what you think. For a start your user name puts you at least at 50 years old, maybe much more. How many 18-30 year olds do you deal with on a daily basis? I'm in my late 40s and most of my friends' kids are older than mine, plus I work for a company that actively recruits from university, yet, for me, the answer would be less than a handful.

      We exist in echo chambers. We deliberately seek out those who we approve of and approve of us. I play poker regularly with seven other blokes. They range from a Green Party activist to a Tory stockbroker but ALL of us are remainers to a man. The only Brexiteer who came lasted one game and it wasn't our choice not to invite him back. We try desparately to keep politics off the running thread on here - in fact it's a banning offence - and still I gravitate to the remainers in that group.

      Conversely, the same little group on here turns up on every single politics thread pushing the cause of libertarian / anti Muslim / Brexit /alt right view points. They may say that's paranoid but Pastafarian, AlfredMizen, Looney, JC Football Genius, ppf, the Gem and GT49er never, ever disappoint.

      The fact is it was very nearly 50-50 and when you take no-shows in to account the country was split virtually in half. Since then it has proven impossible to leave on terms that suit anyone. If this wasn't the case leaving would be easy. If all of us thought the way Pasta, GT, JC and Alf think this would be deal done already. But we don't. The country is torn down the middle and that's the precise issue.
      Nice try Poirot, and I don't disagree with much of what you say. But this wasn't a view from my personal echo chamber, more from my working one which is regularly refreshed from a pool of 3/400 from 18 to 80. I'm not a political animal and I'm split virtually in half too. I have an arts half and a science half, a Remain half and a Leave half. I see value in both sides and voted to Remain because my sons wanted it. So actually I'm probably an individual who confirms your view precisely, all on my own.
      I hope you meet someone your height, so you can see eye to eye with someone as small as you!
    • #52556
      A. Virgo, Football Genius
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      24,568


      0 Not allowed!
      and can we please just agree on one negative thing from the EU - the poxy GDPR compliance popup/overlays on just about every commercial website? until a few months ago, a little cookies bar, which you could ignore. not now, its full on do you agree or not agree, the later of which leads to maze of options and sometimes literally hundreds of third parties to deactviate. so do you agree to everything, try to navigate the many options, or leave?

      on typing this, i feel like its a metaphor for the relationship with EU.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
    • #52557
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      17,765


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ManOfSussex View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      They need those seats, but they also need seat gains in Scotland and elsewhere. Aside from whatever motions Momentum and a pro-EU membership may put forward at conference, the Unions and their members will have a view on things too, particularly in regards to single market access and jobs in Labour constituencies that may be negatively affected how things go - it's a very difficult balancing act they face.
      Modern Labour conferences since John Smith / Blair, are short, carefully stage-managed and never produce the fireworks expected. Making it dull.

      There may wbe a typical fudge of people feeling they've expressed their views on Remain etc, but it's passed on to the Shadow Cabinet or National Executive to handle later. In other words, Brexit Corbyn and McDonnell will get their way.
    • #52558

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      and can we please just agree on one negative thing from the EU - the poxy GDPR compliance popup/overlays on just about every commercial website? until a few months ago, a little cookies bar, which you could ignore. not now, its full on do you agree or not agree, the later of which leads to maze of options and sometimes literally hundreds of third parties to deactviate. so do you agree to everything, try to navigate the many options, or leave?

      on typing this, i feel like its a metaphor for the relationship with EU.
      GDPR is great, my inbox is now full of relevant emails rather than bombarded by adverts from companies I have never of
    • #52559

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pretty pink fairy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      A BIT LIKE THE COMMON AGRICULTURAL POLICY
      regards
      DR
      too subtle for me
    • #52560
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      17,765


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wardy's twin View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It is time for the sensible members within Labour, Tory and Liberal Parties to take the initiative and form a broad centralist part which puts the interests of the majority of the British people first and that includes stopping the shambles and try to repair the damage.
      Nice sentiments.

      I feel that would work on so many matters - NHS, Railways, Pensions, Financing Care in Old Age, Taxation, etc.

      But unfortunately in the real world, all the parties are out to destroy each other in a power grab at Council, Constituency and Parliamentary level. Not helped by the modern mouthy shit-stirring style of media coverage, thriving on division and 'bad news'.

      Very few are prepared to compromise and work to solve long term issues in the national interest.