Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
All the remainers I speak to just want to get out now and do not want a 2nd vote. They are looking for it to either prove a failure over time or succeed.

Exactly, same here with the remainers I know, and the Brexiteers I know do NOT hate Europe and everything about it, and are most certainly not racists either, or thick having not understood etc etc.

The sweeping statements being made about people who vote this way or that are ridiculous and invariable wrong. It stifles debate because two points in, someone invariably makes a sweeping, inaccurate and often offensive point about the other persons views.

It's a shame because actually politics hasn't been this interesting in decades, and yet a good reasoned inoffensive debate has become a very rare commodity indeed.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
With all the row over the Irish border, Scotland and Brexit has all gone quiet lately. A new front line emerges on Brexit, and another threat to the existence of the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-44113864

A ratification vote needs to have a majority vote in the majority of UK nations, ie 3 out of 4. Its what Cameron should have done in the first place

On The Port of Dover front it's only been nearly 2 years since the vote, but finally a Minister from The Department for Leaving The European Union got round to visiting the port yesterday. I wonder if she's revised her view that no deal would be 'great' having had a look at some of the 2.1 million lorries that pass through it annually yesterday.

[tweet]996029021631778816[/tweet]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And as per usual you choose to be very selective. If you read back I said GDPR was good in principle.

You also fail to understand that thousands of companies across Europe use PDF / scanning as a data retention - and it will also be the case in your beloved Germany. That includes governments. Now I'll ask you AGAIN - because you've purposely avoided the question - how can companies carry out a search of the internal data of thousands of PDFs to search for one specific piece of data ?

The company I work for is highly successful - millionaire owners who started it from scratch, dozens of awards including placings in the fastest growing Sussex businesses awards and the Times Top Tech companies. It employs dozens of highly experienced IT engineers and we're finding GDPR a challenge. We have over 10,000 companies as customers and many are also finding GDPR a challenge. Yet somehow you and your lawyer mate can solve GDPR implementation in a few posts !! It suggests you both know fvck all about how to implement it.

I think it took my “lawyer mate” more than a few posts to get his company compliant but I’ll pass on your compliment. And I’m not suggesting it’s easy to search PDFs as it clearly isn’t; I’m more flabbergasted you are, in effect, using them as a database.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've not seen anyone disagree with it ? I'm questioning the implementation not the motives.

I can give you two for starters, GDPR and new MOT rules. GDPR is just more EU bureaucracy, another way to take control and another way for the EU to fine large companies money.

If you're fully in agreement with the motives, I don't see how you can question the implementation. This has been in discussion for years, the draft proposals were released about five years ago and have been open for amendments by any company or individual. There were thousand of submissions on this.

It's probably undergone more scrutiny than any act of the British parliament. It may not be perfect but I don't see how it can be any better. The final draft was published three years ago, so companies have had plenty of time to implement it.

And in reality, they'll get longer: every lawyer and compliance officer I've spoken to about this says that companies will be fine if they haven't made their procedures fully compatible with GDPR by the May deadline. What the authorities won't be happy with are organisations who have done nothing but a company that has made a start and has a road map for completion will be in the clear.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you're fully in agreement with the motives, I don't see how you can question the implementation. This has been in discussion for years, the draft proposals were released about five years ago and have been open for amendments by any company or individual. There were thousand of submissions on this.

It's probably undergone more scrutiny than any act of the British parliament. It may not be perfect but I don't see how it can be any better. The final draft was published three years ago, so companies have had plenty of time to implement it.

And in reality, they'll get longer: every lawyer and compliance officer I've spoken to about this says that companies will be fine if they haven't made their procedures fully compatible with GDPR by the May deadline. What the authorities won't be happy with are organisations who have done nothing but a company that has made a start and has a road map for completion will be in the clear.

Quite. 5-3 years to bring your company up to date seems reasonable to me.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
On The Port of Dover front it's only been nearly 2 years since the vote, but finally a Minister from The Department for Leaving The European Union got round to visiting the port yesterday. I wonder if she's revised her view that no deal would be 'great' having had a look at some of the 2.1 million lorries that pass through it annually yesterday.

[tweet]996029021631778816[/tweet]

Things are going well with the new infrastructure, lorry parks etc. no doubt, or will they just queue on Boris's bridge instead?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
All the remainers I speak to just want to get out now and do not want a 2nd vote. They are looking for it to either prove a failure over time or succeed.

You obviously don't know many.

About half the leavers I know want out now, the other half are saying they never thought it would be this complicated and divisive

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I see that GDP halved in Germany in Q1 2018. Must be Brexit.

Of course, it wouldn't happen in Germany :lol:

Or maybe it was all those German companies spending time replacing their industry standard document scanning systems.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Oh well another moan ends as pay rises overtake inflation and the jobless total drops again

Regarding pay rises it's about bloody time, but people do not feel they are better off and many still have had no or very small rises below inflation, it does not truly reflect how people are feeling or what's happening.
Have you ever heared of minimum wage seasonal employment?
Never believe Government statements there is always more to it than they say.
I will always celebrate real pay rises and lowering unemployment but only when it is true across the country and at all levels, not cherry picking to make it look good.
You may wish to believe every word they say, I don't.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So, god knows how many posts on, we are all agreed that the EU introduces some good legislation, sometimes.

(Except for [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] obviously :lolol:)

Now let's draw a line under that and get back to the question of the day. What is everyone's preferred option, Customs Partnership or Max-fac (the technology one)

And, since the EU have already said no to both, even the one that doesn't exist yet, does it make any difference ?

Today's the day the cabinet report back, so it will all become clear won't it ?

Tick tock

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Today is next Tuesday, but no decision is expected obviously despite there being only 6 weeks till The European Council meeting in Bulgaria. Tick, Tock though.

Maybe they can use Agile techniques to bring it in on time, Boris for scrum master ???

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here