Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Another problem for T. May: the Scottish Tory MPs kicking-off on the fishing issue. Could they be a DUP Mark 2 for this government as they try to hang on to office? The attractiveness of the deal is lyrically captured below:

Douglas Ross, the Tory MP for Moray, said: “There is no spinning this as a good outcome. It would be easier to get someone to drink a pint of sick than try to sell this as a success."

Not just Scotland where the fishing issue has gone down like a pint of sick. The fishing industry, as well as his majority in in Moray, may be far larger than those in The Home Secretary's constituency, but the Right Honorable member for Hastings & Rye, home to Europe's largest beach fishing fleet and her majority of 346 are looking more precarious this morning too.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Not just Scotland where the fishing issue has gone down like a pint of sick. The fishing industry, as well as his majority in in Moray, may be far larger than those in The Home Secretary's constituency, but the Right Honorable member for Hastings & Rye, home to Europe's largest beach fishing fleet and her majority of 346 are looking more precarious this morning too.

Battle of Hastings Mark 2 then? (Irony: Rudd is a fish, yes?)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well, you obviously have!

Now let me have a wild guess.............are you one of the ones that didn't ever want Brexit at all?

Summary of my position:

1) I don’t like the European Union in practise. Although I like the idea. I’m very much an internationalist

2) I voted to remain, although I felt it was Hobson’s choice

3) My fear is an inward looking nation of endless right wing government and the break up of the UK. A model that is totally governed by Capital and erodes ideals that still have value and support in many walks of live (NHS, social security, pensions etc)

4) BREXIT must go ahead. The decision has been made

5) The EU has too many political careers at stake to allow it to work too much in the UK’s favour.

6) God knows what happens next- and I’m not even sure God knows.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

as a remainer, you are happy about the current CFP rules around fishing and the affects on the Hastings fleet. why make cheap party politcal points, isnt staying in Europe more important than that?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Summary of my position:

1) I don’t like the European Union in practise. Although I like the idea. I’m very much an internationalist

2) I voted to remain, although I felt it was Hobson’s choice

3) My fear is an inward looking nation of endless right wing government and the break up of the UK. A model that is totally governed by Capital and erodes ideals that still have value and support in many walks of live (NHS, social security, pensions etc)

4) BREXIT must go ahead. The decision has been made

5) The EU has too many political careers at stake to allow it to work too much in the UK’s favour.

6) God knows what happens next- and I’m not even sure God knows.
Fair enough - my wild guess was wide of the mark; you're more of a remainer than a remoaner! :thumbsup:
Can totally understand 2) and 4) - although from a slightly different perspective, as I voted leave.
Re: 3) We invented the NHS, and had social security systems, pensions, trade unions, etc. long before we joined the EU, so I think the claims by some of the remain extremists that all that will disappear are just Eurohogwash.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
as a remainer, you are happy about the current CFP rules around fishing and the affects on the Hastings fleet. why make cheap party politcal points, isnt staying in Europe more important than that?

Personally I've never been happy with the way DEFRA and The EU administrator the quotas at the expense of smaller fleets such as those in Hastings and always thought nothing will change in regards to fishing post-Brexit as they'd be the first to be sold out. Fishermen who voted for the Brexit sunlit uplands are also waking up and smelling this coffee now too.

I was just responding to another remain voter, who highlighted the anger in Scotland in regards to fishing, when there's plenty closer to home too. As in Scotland, there will be a political consequence to this in other coastal towns in The UK with fishing industries.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally I've never been happy with the way DEFRA and The EU administrator the quotas at the expense of smaller fleets such as those in Hastings and always thought nothing will change in regards to fishing post-Brexit as they'd be the first to be sold out. Fishermen who voted for the Brexit sunlit uplands are also waking up and smelling this coffee now too.

I was just responding to another remain voter, who highlighted the anger in Scotland in regards to fishing, when there's plenty closer to home too. As in Scotland, there will be a political consequence to this in other coastal towns in The UK with fishing industries.
The EU was a disaster for the British fishing industry (especially the smaller boats) - that was one of many reasons I voted leave.

Things might, we hope, improve for the small fleets after Brexit (and yes, it's also possible they might not; I accept that). But remaining in Europe, there would definitely be no improvement, not now, not never; it would never even be on the agenda.
So, it's slim chance against no chance. I have no regrets about voting for slim chance.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
The EU was a disaster for the British fishing industry (especially the smaller boats) - that was one of many reasons I voted leave.

Things might, we hope, improve for the small fleets after Brexit (and yes, it's also possible they might not; I accept that). But remaining in Europe, there would definitely be no improvement, not now, not never; it would never even be on the agenda.
So, it's slim chance against no chance. I have no regrets about voting for slim chance.

I agree, being in the EU meant any problems would never improve. The EU is far from perfect and refuses to reform so the only way forward is to leave, make our own laws and trade internationally.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It was also a vote to eat shitty fish no one has heard of.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was also a vote to eat shitty fish no one has heard of.
We've been doing plenty of that since we joined your precious but unwanted project. And actually, the vote wasn't about eating shitty fish, so we didn't vote for it. We voted to leave the EU. Just that. Because we don't like it, anathema though that may be to your pro Euro dreams.

So, carry on with your futile sniping; we all understand that's just what you do.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We are, and always have been, more tied into the EEC / EU than most politicians were / are prepared to admit. Admitting it would highlight their actions they have taken over the years without telling the voters. Edward Heath admitted it would happen - he has even admitted to hiding that it would happen as voters in the 70s would have rejected joining.

Yes the government have capitulated in most areas DURING THE TRANSITION PERIOD - the fishing rights is particularly disgusting. BUT come 2020 the EU can swivel. I wouldn't give up yet - there's some swivel eyed pro EU posters on here - some like Nicko31 who have no grasp of reality - but we will leave. It's a shame that next GE we'll have a choice of a Tory party that has been treacherous to the electorate, a Labour leader that likes terrorists or the Lib Dem party that will throw away their policies at the sniff of power. Scum the lot of them.

It wasn't 'hidden' how closely tied into the EU. It was there in plain view all along as we took the benefits .

We can leave the EU and go the WTO route anytime we want, introduce a border in NI and there's nothing the EU can do about it. However, the economic impact of that is such, that only the most 'swivel eyed anti EU posters on here' (to use your terminology) would believe that is worthwhile.

The trouble is that what we are trying to do is choose the bits of the EU we want to stay in. I think it may have been said once or twice, that it will never work or be agreeable to the EU.

So it's time to stop f***ing around and tell us what you want -

In the EU

or Out and WTO :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It wasn't 'hidden' how closely tied into the EU. It was there in plain view all along as we took the benefits .

We can leave the EU and go the WTO route anytime we want, introduce a border in NI and there's nothing the EU can do about it. However, the economic impact of that is such, that only the most 'swivel eyed anti EU posters on here' (to use your terminology) would believe that is worthwhile.

The trouble is that what we are trying to do is choose the bits of the EU we want to stay in. I think it may have been said once or twice, that it will never work or be agreeable to the EU.

In the EU

Perhaps you'd like another referendum to find out........then another (if necessary).......and another.

Out, thank you very much.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

In the EU

Much as I wish I could claim the credit for the 'swivel eyed' tag I'll have to concede it was invented by another poster.

I've never hidden my view that I'll perfectly happy with Out and WTO.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thanks

So that's you, Westdene Seagull and Ppf in the WTO camp. Any others ?
Plenty. Not all on here, of course, and you'll notice (well ,actually you probably won't because it doesn't fit your assumptions) that I didn't say yes to WTO, just to leaving the EU. I hope we can remain on friendly terms with our friends in Europe and agree deals on some things, if not all. Last week's agreement on major chunks of the transitional period must be a huge blow to you (it shows we are leaving)!
In the final analysis, yes, WTO over EU hegemony every day, but we can do better than that, and appalling though that might be to you, it might even happen that way.

Have you found a cure for your swivelling eyes yet?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Thanks

So that's you, Westdene Seagull and Ppf in the WTO camp. Any others ?

OUT and WTO is basically the end of the UK and parliament won't let it happen. We will not have Brexit at any cost. Thank you again Gina

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Plenty. Not all on here, of course, and you'll notice (well ,actually you probably won't because it doesn't fit your assumptions) that I didn't say yes to WTO, just to leaving the EU. I hope we can remain on friendly terms with our friends in Europe and agree deals on some things, if not all. Last week's agreement on major chunks of the transitional period must be a huge blow to you (it shows we are leaving)!
In the final analysis, yes, WTO over EU hegemony every day, but we can do better than that, and appalling though that might be to you, it might even happen that way.

Have you found a cure for your swivelling eyes yet?

I have to say that last week's agreement on the UK sticking to all EU legislation, Common Fisheries Policy, Free movement, and NI remaining in the Customs Zone and single market for at least another 21 months and possibly longer has had very little effect on me :shrug:

And my eyes are fine, thanks :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have to say that last week's agreement on the UK sticking to all EU legislation, Common Fisheries Policy, Free movement, and NI remaining in the Customs Zone and single market for another 21 months has had very little effect on me :shrug:

And my eyes are fine, thanks :thumbsup:
Good. Glad to know you're not one of the (many) swivel-eyed remoaners then (I think it's a symptom of apoplexy, or of loss of entitlement, at losing the referendum). Anyway, I'm tired of playing games with remainers and remoaners (swivel eyed or not) on here today, so I'm off to enjoy the future.
:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here