Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Good grief. You don’t even know the difference between a referendum and an election.

This is why I rarely come on this thread. The same few dogmatic voices who simply don’t want to or can’t face up to the reality of the situation we are about to go through.

And let’s be clear, I’m a remainer who has accepted that we are leaving. What I won’t accept is the dictatorial lack of process as we go forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if your'e being deliberately mischievous or just having comprehension problems. Either way even rarer would be a blessing.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Rolls Royce to axe 4600 jobs. Not a good week for the British auto industry.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44479410

And yet another warning, this time from a finance firm. Oops - guess whose?

A City firm co-founded by the influential Conservative backbencher, Jacob Rees-Mogg, has set up an investment fund in Ireland and is warning prospective clients about the financial dangers of the sort of hard Brexit favoured by the Tory MP.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The "Brexit wont happen" brigade have gone rather quiet over the last two days compared to usual.................something happen fellas?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Strange habit some people have of picking up on individual bits of negative jobs news while completely ignoring the overall jobs picture .. see record employment and lowest unemployment rate since 1975.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The "Brexit wont happen" brigade have gone rather quiet over the last two days compared to usual.................something happen fellas?

So have the 'no deal was never an option, we always knew exactly where this would end up crew'. :wink:

They're possibly quite sanguine at Amendment 25. Unless Irish unification or an internal UK border gets set up to bypass it.

Or not sad enough to crow at this complete divisive cluster**** ripping apart this country.

D

Deleted member 22389

Strange habit some people have of picking up on individual bits of negative jobs news while completely ignoring the overall jobs picture .. see record employment and lowest unemployment rate since 1975.

I know, this Rolls Royce thing has nothing to do with Brexit. It's after five successive profit warning so they are trimming down on middle management.
The article below is from 2015
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33405942

Last edited by a moderator:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

D

Deleted member 22389

Yep, not one mention of Brexit amongst the many reasons. Clearly, some peeps need a regular fix of negativity/trashing the Uk though. :rolleyes:

It's good to pick up on the reasons for these job losses. So fed up with the media trying to blame Brexit 24/7.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Please read the official company statement, I can't find anything that says because of Brexit.
https://www.rolls-royce.com/media/p...06-2018-rr-confirms-fundamental-restructuring

Sorry, I really can't be bothered as I already read it as a 0700 release to the LSE earlier which didn't mention Brexit either, if I recall correctly.

It's just still mildly amusing watching someone bite and have to play the #wouldhavehappenedanyway card on this thread at such posts. As soon as I read HT's post I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist. :lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Rolls Royce to axe 4600 jobs. Not a good week for the British auto industry.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44479410

Quite what job losses at Rolls-Royce engineering have to do with the British auto industry,I have no idea.Perhaps you think this is a car?

pearl.png

I should stick to things you know about.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Sorry, I really can't be bothered as I already read it as a 0700 release to the LSE earlier which didn't mention Brexit either, if I recall correctly.

It's just still mildly amusing watching someone bite and have to play the #wouldhavehappenedanyway card on this thread at such posts. As soon as I read HT's post I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist. :lolol:

Shame he always spoils it with a lack of knowledge.I expect it will come along blustering and swearing soon,no class at all.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They're possibly quite sanguine at Amendment 25. Unless Irish unification or an internal UK border gets set up to bypass it.
Keep grabbing for those straws

Nigel Dodds (Belfast North) (DUP)
I welcome the decision to tidy up the jurisdiction and sovereignty issues raised in the House of Lords in the Patten amendment. Will the Minister confirm that the powers in the amendment are restricted purely to the purposes of the Bill?

Mr Lidington
I can confirm that the right hon. Gentleman’s interpretation of the Government amendment in lieu is exactly as he has described.

Or not sad enough to crow at this complete divisive cluster**** ripping apart this country.

Nah, im going with miffed that democracy threw out amendments that tried to scupper the vote.You lot are so transparent.
But talking of divisive, how is the united Corbyn camp this morning?

Craig Mackinlay (South Thanet) (Con)

I will confine my comments to the EEA and customs union. We have heard just about every side of the spectrum from the Opposition today: some want the EEA; some want the customs union; and some want both. So I am none the wiser now about exactly where the Labour party currently sits on this issue than I was at the start of the debate five hours ago, but what is clear for many is that it is a barely disguised attempt to keep Britain in the European Union in all but name. It is a barely disguised attempt to say to the 17.4 million people and to the 66% of constituencies across this country, “You were wrong. You little people did not know what you were doing and we know best.” I am sorry but the people of this country do know best. They knew what they were voting for, and that means leaving the customs union and the single market and gaining control of our laws, borders and money.

What is the reality of customs union membership? The EU has some of the most complicated trade schedules in the world. Why? Because it is a protectionist organisation. It is there to protect the food producers of France and Spain and the industrialists of Italy and Germany. If we were to join the customs union, we would be accepting in perpetuity whatever the EU decided to do for us. We would no longer ever be able to seek free trade arrangements or new trade deals around the world. We would be dragged into whatever trade war the EU might like to commence around this world, and we would have no voice—we would be able to do nothing about it.

There is a phrase that has not been said this afternoon, and that is vassal state. That is exactly what many Opposition Members would like us to become. We all have a view on the Department for International Development, but one thing is true: aid can work, and it often does, but what really works is trade. It has taken 1 billion people out of poverty around the planet over a generation. Peculiarly, the customs union has managed to do two unique things. It has managed to impoverish the poorest in this world by imposing trade barriers, and it has managed to force the poorest in this country—those on the lowest pay—to pay higher amounts for international goods that we do not produce ourselves, including footwear and food. Let us not slip into the customs union, because the single market will follow and it will mean not leaving the EU.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Keep grabbing for those straws

Nigel Dodds (Belfast North) (DUP)
I welcome the decision to tidy up the jurisdiction and sovereignty issues raised in the House of Lords in the Patten amendment. Will the Minister confirm that the powers in the amendment are restricted purely to the purposes of the Bill?

Mr Lidington
I can confirm that the right hon. Gentleman’s interpretation of the Government amendment in lieu is exactly as he has described.

Nah, im going with miffed that democracy threw out amendments that tried to scupper the vote.You lot are so transparent.
But talking of divisive, how is the united Corbyn camp this morning?

Craig Mackinlay (South Thanet) (Con)

I will confine my comments to the EEA and customs union. We have heard just about every side of the spectrum from the Opposition today: some want the EEA; some want the customs union; and some want both. So I am none the wiser now about exactly where the Labour party currently sits on this issue than I was at the start of the debate five hours ago, but what is clear for many is that it is a barely disguised attempt to keep Britain in the European Union in all but name. It is a barely disguised attempt to say to the 17.4 million people and to the 66% of constituencies across this country, “You were wrong. You little people did not know what you were doing and we know best.” I am sorry but the people of this country do know best. They knew what they were voting for, and that means leaving the customs union and the single market and gaining control of our laws, borders and money.

What is the reality of customs union membership? The EU has some of the most complicated trade schedules in the world. Why? Because it is a protectionist organisation. It is there to protect the food producers of France and Spain and the industrialists of Italy and Germany. If we were to join the customs union, we would be accepting in perpetuity whatever the EU decided to do for us. We would no longer ever be able to seek free trade arrangements or new trade deals around the world. We would be dragged into whatever trade war the EU might like to commence around this world, and we would have no voice—we would be able to do nothing about it.

There is a phrase that has not been said this afternoon, and that is vassal state. That is exactly what many Opposition Members would like us to become. We all have a view on the Department for International Development, but one thing is true: aid can work, and it often does, but what really works is trade. It has taken 1 billion people out of poverty around the planet over a generation. Peculiarly, the customs union has managed to do two unique things. It has managed to impoverish the poorest in this world by imposing trade barriers, and it has managed to force the poorest in this country—those on the lowest pay—to pay higher amounts for international goods that we do not produce ourselves, including footwear and food. Let us not slip into the customs union, because the single market will follow and it will mean not leaving the EU.

You quote Nigel Dodds who thinks the world was created in 4BC and Craig Mackinlay who's on police bail and in court in August and throw in the obligatory mention of Jeremy Corbyn. Okay.

I'll lean toward Ken Clarke's interpretation on it for now rather than yours.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite what job losses at Rolls-Royce engineering have to do with the British auto industry,I have no idea.Perhaps you think this is a car?

View attachment 97683

I should stick to things you know about.

Thank you for enlightening me. It’s still 4600 UK jobs though.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You quote Nigel Dodds who thinks the world was created in 4BC and Craig Mackinlay who's on police bail and in court in August and throw in a the obligatory mention of Jeremy Corbyn. Okay.

I'll lean toward Ken Clarke's interpretation on it for now rather than yours.

Its not my interpretation,i didnt have any input into the governments amendment to amendment 25.
I suspect the constitutional lawyers tiding up the amendment for the government into legal jargon that negated any concerns of the government and Dodds for that matter are more clued up than out of touch Clarke who is desperately seeking anything as a comfort blanket as his world collapses.

So how are the unified ranks of Jeremys revolution this morning? Must be lovely having a committed Leaver as leader.Matches the now committed leaver of the Tories........great stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shame he always spoils it with a lack of knowledge.I expect it will come along blustering and swearing soon,no class at all.

:smile: And you turn a minor oversight into a straw man argument. I’ll leave others to infer from your action.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As soon as I read HT's post I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist. :lolol:

You can play him like a rubber ball. Even when I spelt it out yesterday he still wanted in. Pathological.

Time for a beard trim; laters.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here