Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I wonder when all the swivel eyed LOONS in the Tory party like Peter Bone and the ones on NSC will realise that the EU hold all the cards and Davis can giggle all he likes but it won't make it any better for us

...and admit to ****ing up? Never happen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think he referred to it as needing to be 'Davis Proof'.

That was it. And this also probably explains the clauses they are putting the the transition phase ie the EU can restrict market access during this period if the UK pisses around. I knew Davis’ cocksure and arrogant swagger would finally come to bite him on his arse; what a knob.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That isn't the EU interpretation, its been signed off by 27 members. If we go back on what was agree in December it won't end well for us. The way we're heading anything can happen, plus there is are own parliament to deal with if the Tories try and do anything stupid

but they haven't made it legally binding, which is what you ask our government does, as its a interim report explicitly subject to change.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
On reflection, calling the rabid right of the Tory Party swivel eyed loons is a tad harsh. Daniel 'we will not be leaving the single market' Hannan, totally disproved that theory earlier.

DVYnWi6XUAAR5SJ.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
but they haven't made it legally binding, which is what you ask our government does, as its a interim report explicitly subject to change.

It appears they may want to though, despite what you say - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ing-brexit-transition-says-brussels-vfwcfswdc

The hardline approach to Ireland was agreed behind closed doors by European ambassadors at the end of last month at the behest of the German and Irish governments, which were concerned that Mrs May was backsliding on the December deal under pressure from Eurosceptic ministers and backbenchers. “We need to put the Irish fallback solution into legal text before we can make progress,” a senior EU source told The Times. “If not, work on the transition and future relationship will stall.” A senior Whitehall figure said that the problem was intractable.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Peter Bone, what a wally, uses that phrase "the idea that (insert EU or EU member state here) will (insert likely reaction to hard Brexit here) is ridiculous!"
His argument is that for the EU not to give us what we want would be economically damaging to them, and therefore, they won't do it. Yet, I am sure he will want to stick to his ideology of what responsibilities Brexit must release us from, even if it is economically damaging.
What he is saying is, they will back down because they are just 27 nations with a set of shared values, formed together over decades, and economics will trump that, whereas we are one nation, split down the middle, with a minority in our Parliament that wants to do this at all, and an even smaller number that want to do it at any cost, and economics will not trump that, we will do it anyway.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Peter Bone, what a wally, uses that phrase "the idea that (insert EU or EU member state here) will (insert likely reaction to hard Brexit here) is ridiculous!"
His argument is that for the EU not to give us what we want would be economically damaging to them, and therefore, they won't do it. Yet, I am sure he will want to stick to his ideology of what responsibilities Brexit must release us from, even if it is economically damaging.
What he is saying is, they will back down because they are just 27 nations with a set of shared values, formed together over decades, and economics will trump that, whereas we are one nation, split down the middle, with a minority in our Parliament that wants to do this at all, and an even smaller number that want to do it at any cost, and economics will not trump that, we will do it anyway.

Finishing line from Ros....

"We are becoming and International laughing stock, we cannot continue like this"

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
What form does your 'support' take exactly? Shouty letter to the Guardian, boring friends and family rigid ... perhaps a donation to Soubry/Umunna re election campaigns?

Yes I noticed the casual lazy agesim from Cleggars aswell. Typical Lib Dem intolerance. Helps create the environment where people think it acceptable to send death threats to pensioners.

You ignore the question I asked but I'll answer yours.

Yes, I provide a little financial support to the causes I believe in, charitable and political. It's not much but we should all do what we can, whatever it is. I hope you will agree. I'm not sure why I should write to the Guardian though - your suggestion that I should looks like a good example of the casual lazy stereotyping you mention. Well done.

Clegg's reference to age was presumably related to the well known demographics of the referendum result. Whilst there would have been hundreds of thousands of exceptions (including me) there was as you know a strong correlation between age, education and voting patterns. Your attempt to suggest that 'Lib Dem intolerance' helps to create an environment where death threats are sent is utterly puerile. Unless it was meant to be deeply ironic.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'd be interested to get some Leave voters opinions on this one:

I was listening to a current series on R4 where the presenter travels around the smaller, urban areas of Britain. Passing by the larger conurbations such as Manchester and heading to places such and the example I give, Middlesborough.
Middlesborough has been going through a regeneration process, improving it's industry, infrastructure, and indeed , its reputation.
A young businessman was interviewed who owns a games company called Sock Monkey.
He and his team of 9 developers had a £400,000 grant to build and release the game called Check Out. It had been tipped to succeed along the lines angry birds or the fruit one.
The money came from an EU regeneration pot that was heavily funding the regeneration projects and trying to boost local industry after the collapse of their iron works in the 80's and 90's. Funds that none of our successive governments would put into such a project. UK governments had left the now unemployed workforce to the mercy of the gig economy.

Anyway, on the day article 50 was triggered the guys at Sock Monkey received a call telling them the funding was being withdrawn. It was European Union money and the UK was no longer entitled to it.
Maybe a bit spiteful but the result is the same.
The games company had to lay off 6 of its staff and it is unlikely to ever get more funding and will probably fold.
Middlesborough voted overwhelmingly to Leave the EU. The EU were helping them to rebuild their community after the collapse of manafacturing industry. Now it is unlikely there will be any industry to replace it.
The EU fund was there to help companies like Sock Monkey exploit the digital boom and regenerate areas and as the company owner said, they didn't realise they were voting their future's away.
That scenario will be being replicated all over the U.K. and our Tory Government has no stated intention to replace the EU funds and help these communities.

That is a direct result of Brexit. Unequivocally. Where is all this supposed manafacturing and industry supposed to come from to support our country outside of the EU?

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Thank you for supplying a more credible source, I hope it is (as I suspect) fraudelent, but if true hope the recipient is not frightened by it. Seems strange to call your MP about it first though.

Your welcome and good to see you are concerned about the person who received this threat. It's a shame others prefer to condemn the people correctly reporting this unpleasant incident rather than issue any condemnation of death threats to pensioners. Doesn't surprise me though.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Anyway, on the day article 50 was triggered the guys at Sock Monkey received a call telling them the funding was being withdrawn. It was European Union money and the UK was no longer entitled to it.

my opinion is there's some fibs in there, because that is not how grants are awarded or maintained. the day we invoked a50 nothing changed in the economic or legal relationship with the EU, it only started a countdown to change. we still pay in, grants are still awarded. i suspect their grant ran out and they no longer qualified for it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You ignore the question I asked but I'll answer yours.

Yes, I provide a little financial support to the causes I believe in, charitable and political. It's not much but we should all do what we can, whatever it is. I hope you will agree. I'm not sure why I should write to the Guardian though - your suggestion that I should looks like a good example of the casual lazy stereotyping you mention. Well done.

Clegg's reference to age was presumably related to the well known demographics of the referendum result. Whilst there would have been hundreds of thousands of exceptions (including me) there was as you know a strong correlation between age, education and voting patterns. Your attempt to suggest that 'Lib Dem intolerance' helps to create an environment where death threats are sent is utterly puerile. Unless it was meant to be deeply ironic.

I'm sure your contributions will make all the difference. Maybe you are right ... The Independent then?

Disappointed to see you condoning his intolerance. The 'old' was clearly being used as a derogatory term.

Jan 30, 2008
Oh right. I've never visited the site before and I shan't do so again. Full of hate, full of loons. It's an unfortunate result of Brexit, these knuckle draggers are emboldened and their unpleasant views are being vocalised and websites like that one are alive with the sound of bigotry. It's a shame but the genie is out of the bottle now, some people in this country are showing their true colours and it's not pretty.
I would have liked to think our future as a nation would have been on a forward and progressive trajectory with a united EU. Forging ahead. Unified. Unfortunately 52% decided that was not to be and so it appears that out time on the right side of history, as a unified progressive nation, a key part of something great in the EU will now just be looked upon as a brief period of time where we got it right and life was hopeful and life was good.

We gave it all up to send May scrabbling around in China trying to beg for export deals when we currently make up 3% of their import market. Disappointing.
you'll get over it eventually ,always look on the bright side of life things don't stay the same for ever , chin up:)
regards
DR

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
my opinion is there's some fibs in there, because that is not how grants are awarded or maintained. the day we invoked a50 nothing changed in the economic or legal relationship with the EU, it only started a countdown to change. we still pay in, grants are still awarded. i suspect their grant ran out and they no longer qualified for it.

There have been some changes, no UK city can enter for European city of culture for example, because the funding would arrive post Brexit, perhaps that is the same with this and the grant, or portion of grant was due after March 2019.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I was listening to a current series on R4 where the presenter travels around the smaller, urban areas of Britain. Passing by the larger conurbations such as Manchester and heading to places such and the example I give, Middlesborough.
Middlesborough has been going through a regeneration process, improving it's industry, infrastructure, and indeed , its reputation.
A young businessman was interviewed who owns a games company called Sock Monkey.
He and his team of 9 developers had a £400,000 grant to build and release the game called Check Out. It had been tipped to succeed along the lines angry birds or the fruit one.
The money came from an EU regeneration pot that was heavily funding the regeneration projects and trying to boost local industry after the collapse of their iron works in the 80's and 90's. Funds that none of our successive governments would put into such a project. UK governments had left the now unemployed workforce to the mercy of the gig economy.

Maybe a bit spiteful but the result is the same.
The games company had to lay off 6 of its staff and it is unlikely to ever get more funding and will probably fold.
Middlesborough voted overwhelmingly to Leave the EU. The EU were helping them to rebuild their community after the collapse of manafacturing industry. Now it is unlikely there will be any industry to replace it.
The EU fund was there to help companies like Sock Monkey exploit the digital boom and regenerate areas and as the company owner said, they didn't realise they were voting their future's away.
That scenario will be being replicated all over the U.K. and our Tory Government has no stated intention to replace the EU funds and help these communities.

That is a direct result of Brexit. Unequivocally. Where is all this supposed manafacturing and industry supposed to come from to support our country outside of the EU?

The North East is highly exposed to Brexit. There's the Nissan plant too in Washington and a whole spin off industry from the plant. Turkeys voting for Christmas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here