Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
*No deal* resulting in a financial crisis 4 times worse than the banking crash, an 8 point drop in GDP, 3 million unemployed, food and fuel shortages, and civil unrest is too big a price just to be right.

*Any deal is better than no deal*

at least remainers gave fair warning, although the brexoids would still find away to blame remainers or the EU :/

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
John Major doing a better job than the opposition. And he is absolutely right. Check out @Peston’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1052243345186189312?s=01

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Indeed.

"I understand the motives of those who voted to leave the European Union: it can – as I well know – be very frustrating. Nonetheless, after weighing its frustrations and opportunities, there is no doubt in my own mind that our decision is a colossal misjudgment that will diminish both the UK and the EU. It will damage our national and personal wealth, and may seriously hamper our future security. It may even, over time, break up our United Kingdom. It will most definitely limit the prospects of our young.

And – once this becomes clear – I believe those who promised what will never be delivered will have much to answer for. They persuaded a deceived population to vote to be weaker and poorer. That will never be forgotten – nor forgiven."

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
No deal would be catastrophic. Not just for us though, but for all the euro states that trade with England. It is not an option, never was and never will be. Does anyone really think that the EU would survive without an equitable deal for all states? Why does exiting the EU have to be a punitive process? The fact that there is no E.U mechanism for leaving without all this carnage is baffling, (it's like trying to leave the mafia), and now means it is all up to negotiating the best deal for all member states, not an excuse to blame and punish England for daring to exercise democracy. We import over £250 billion worth of goods from the EU every year, yes we could end up eating baked beans, black outs, 3 day weeks, civil unrest etc etc etc, but EU states dependent on us will be in worse shape if trade is not allowed to continue. It ain't gonna happen, because what hurts us, hurts EU states just as much.

**** 'em. Trump had a point when he told May to sue them instead of paying their 'pull it out of my arse' bill for leaving. Keep the money, what are they going to do? Send the boys round? Keep the dough and we can all go round the Winchester for a bag of scratchings and a pint until this whole things blows over. Happy days. :hilton:

And I voted to remain.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
No deal would be catastrophic. Not just for us though, but for all the euro states that trade with England. It is not an option, never was and never will be. Does anyone really think that the EU would survive without an equitable deal for all states? Why does exiting the EU have to be a punitive process? The fact that there is no E.U mechanism for leaving without all this carnage is baffling, (it's like trying to leave the mafia), and now means it is all up to negotiating the best deal for all member states, not an excuse to blame and punish England for daring to exercise democracy. We import over £250 billion worth of goods from the EU every year, yes we could end up eating baked beans, black outs, 3 day weeks, civil unrest etc etc etc, but EU states dependent on us will be in worse shape if trade is not allowed to continue. It ain't gonna happen, because what hurts us, hurts EU states just as much.

**** 'em. Trump had a point when he told May to sue them instead of paying their 'pull it out of my arse' bill for leaving. Keep the money, what are they going to do? Send the boys round? Keep the dough and we can all go round the Winchester for a bag of scratchings and a pint until this whole things blows over. Happy days. :hilton:

And I voted to remain.

The EU states will be in a WORSE state than a UK "eating baked beans, black outs, 3 day weeks, civil unrest etc etc etc"? ???

Wow. I guess they really do need us more then we need them then. :dunce:

https://infacts.org/uk-needs-eu-more-than-it-needs-us/

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
The EU states will be in a WORSE state than a UK "eating baked beans, black outs, 3 day weeks, civil unrest etc etc etc"? ???

Nice bit of 'find the lady' with the percentages.
So £250 billion of lost trade to EU states is not a problem for the EU? I'm sure France, Spain and Italy will be over the moon, no problem. That article makes it look like England will be plunged into the dark ages while the rest of the EU is going to be fine. You don't think that an imbalance/restriction in trade will affect the EU at all? The 'velvet glove divorce' bit is hilarious and would seem to suggest plenty of wiggle room in the approach to these 'negotiations'. There seems to be an element of making it up as they go along in that article.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
People voted for all those things though. They voted to leave. That includes leaving and being in the customs union etc. Are you saying we should ignore the result of the referendum and NOT do that?

But as you keep saying, specifics like remaining in the customs union wasn’t written on the referendum ballot paper, so no one voted to remain in the customs union. But no longer being members of the customs union was in the 2017 tory manifesto and they are in government.

Get some help you broken-record lunatic.

wibble.jpg

LOL, Infacts the anti Brexit lobby group with a PeoplesVote banner heading.
Have a big hat…….:dunce:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Nice bit of 'find the lady' with the percentages.
So £250 billion of lost trade to EU states is not a problem for the EU? I'm sure France, Spain and Italy will be over the moon, no problem. That article makes it look like England will be plunged into the dark ages while the rest of the EU is going to be fine. You don't think that an imbalance/restriction in trade will affect the EU at all? The 'velvet glove divorce' bit is hilarious and would seem to suggest plenty of wiggle room in the approach to these 'negotiations'. There seems to be an element of making it up as they go along in that article.

To be honest this was done to death on this thread ages ago. As has every other possible debatable point about this whole sorry affair and I must apologise for having a bit of a lapse there in allowing myself to be drawn back into it. I'll just go back to bitter sniping at the Brexit mongs, watching from the sidelines and hoping some semblance of sanity prevails with the people who run the country and that the whole festering shit puffin of an idea gets cancelled by parliament.

I don't hold much hope.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No deal would be catastrophic. Not just for us though, but for all the euro states that trade with England..

Are you American? We're the UK not England thank you.

Maybe you should just give away North Ireland and let the war begin. Would that solve Brexit?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I wonder what sane businesses would knowingly turn their backs on their core customers and chase unproven markets on unfavourable terms without any concrete assurance that there are great deals out there? They would 'just' be risking their shareholders' funds; Boris and his mad pals are risking a nation's future (ironically while draped in the union flag).

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
There's a Vietnamese store near me full of Chinese made products. If that's the future, dear lord

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I wonder what sane businesses would knowingly turn their backs on their core customers and chase unproven markets on unfavourable terms without any concrete assurance that there are great deals out there? They would 'just' be risking their shareholders' funds; Boris and his mad pals are risking a nation's future (ironically while draped in the union flag).

I wonder what business would join a club that prevented it from seeking and doing deals with customers who weren't also a member of the club ?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I wonder what business would join a club that prevented it from seeking and doing deals with customers who weren't also a member of the club ?

Like who?
Do you honestly believe that the UK will get better deals alone? What customers are you considering and how long before these deals are enacted?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And let’s not forget, this Tory government which has made such a total and utter mess of negotiations with its own party and the EU also expect people to believe they can negotiate good deals with the rest of the world. Are people that dim?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Care to give me the single biggest opportunity we are currently missing attached to the world's biggest trading block?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And let’s not forget, this Tory government which has made such a total and utter mess of negotiations with its own party and the EU also expect people to believe they can negotiate good deals with the rest of the world. Are people that dim?

This is the government that can't even sort out universal credit, 8 years in the making is it??

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Christ on a bike, you're beyond help. Well over half of our exports are to the EU which currently attract no tariffs whatsoever:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_trading_partners_of_United_Kingdom

The trade-off for our exports being ultra-competitive for 55% of our current export market is that we can't unilaterally decide to make deals elsewhere. Note, nobody is stopping us actually trading with other countries, it's just that we can't make our own trade deals.

And you're moaning that this isn't a reasonable trade-off? Christ. I think there are valid reasons for leaving the EU (a lack of democracy and accountability, for example) but this one is an absolute crock of shit and reeks of British arrogance.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
To be honest this was done to death on this thread ages ago. As has every other possible debatable point about this whole sorry affair and I must apologise for having a bit of a lapse there in allowing myself to be drawn back into it. I'll just go back to bitter sniping at the Brexit mongs, watching from the sidelines and hoping some semblance of sanity prevails with the people who run the country and that the whole festering shit puffin of an idea gets cancelled by parliament.

I don't hold much hope.

Fair point.

I've just got the hump about the whole thing.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here