Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So you accuse Leavers of peddling propaganda and lies yet won't concede Merkel's speech happened nor that we don't control our own VAT rate ? That can only make you stupid, blind or a liar.

I accuse you of nothing. You incriminate yourself with monotonous regularity.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Remainers on this thread are getting desperate. Like us all they can see the writing on the wall. So better resort to abuse as the best point of attack as panic sets in.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Suit yourself.I don't mind if you don't read my posts.Getting stroppy just proves the point raised.If you were that interested in the late Professor,there is a great deal on the internet,widely quoted and argued about,so as long as it's not RT what is your point.Or do you think everything not on Twatter is fake news?

People starting to be abusive about other posters family and medical conditions-starting to get very low.Play the ball.

No one has been abused for having an Italian mother, they are getting some stick for telling us all so frequently, likewise no one has been abusive about anyones medical condition, there is a disagreement on the effect Brexit may have on treatment of Cancer and other conditions. I and others believe it could cause delays and increase costs, particularly for new treatments coming to the UK, and could cause treatments for rarer diseases to not reach us at all.
By having the EMA approve treatments for all member states, conditions that affect only 1 in 100,000, which would be not financially interesting for most Pharma companies if they had to apply for 28 licenses, suddenly become worth looking at. It also reduces the cost of approval for use, which should result in a reduced price on the market. If we are outside of this, we would be asking Pharma companies to pay for trials just for the UK market, adding to their cost and therefore the price, and for rarer disease, even if they have a drug which they know will get through trials, it may not be financially viable for them to do so, if the numbers of people requiring the treatment are small.
Then there is the ability to fund services, but that is just project fear nonsense I would guess.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No one has been abused for having an Italian mother, they are getting some stick for telling us all so frequently, likewise no one has been abusive about anyones medical condition, there is a disagreement on the effect Brexit may have on treatment of Cancer and other conditions. I and others believe it could cause delays and increase costs, particularly for new treatments coming to the UK, and could cause treatments for rarer diseases to not reach us at all.
By having the EMA approve treatments for all member states, conditions that affect only 1 in 100,000, which would be not financially interesting for most Pharma companies if they had to apply for 28 licenses, suddenly become worth looking at. It also reduces the cost of approval for use, which should result in a reduced price on the market. If we are outside of this, we would be asking Pharma companies to pay for trials just for the UK market, adding to their cost and therefore the price, and for rarer disease, even if they have a drug which they know will get through trials, it may not be financially viable for them to do so, if the numbers of people requiring the treatment are small.
Then there is the ability to fund services, but that is just project fear nonsense I would guess.

The MHRA is the UK equivalent of the EMA. Once Brexit happens they will have to handle every single drug application, license as well as uphold law and monitor and manage which comes Britain’s way....or wants to come Britain’s way. We’re talking about a heavyily regulated industry here; and before some twit cries EU red-tape think about why this might be. The majority of this work is conducted by the EMA which allows the MHRA to concentrate on specific UK items. But even with specific items they still mandate some stuff to the EMA. There is absolutely no way the MHRA will be able to bring everything in-house and do it all from the UK; not a cat-in-hells chance. This is due to the sheer volume of work and the nature of the staff they’d need to obtain. As I see it there are three outcomes

1) MHRA continues to operate with the EMA...only possible with a very soft Brexit due to the complex pan-EU pharma laws.
2) Stuff gets, at best delayed or at worse not approved.
3) UK becomes the Wild-west with medicines.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The MHRA is the UK equivalent of the EMA. Once Brexit happens they will have to handle every single drug application, license as well as uphold law and monitor and manage which comes Britain’s way....or wants to come Britain’s way. The majority of this work is conducted by the EMA which allows the MHRA to concentrate on specific UK items. But even with specific items they still mandate some stuff to the EMA. There is absolutely no way the MHRA will be able to bring everything in-house and do it all from the UK; not a cat-in-hells chance. This is due to the sheer volume of work and the nature of the staff they’d need to obtain. As I see it there are three outcomes

1) MHRA continues to operate with the EMA...only possible with a very soft Brexit due to the complex pan-EU pharma laws.

Yes yes that will happen no medicine for the UK if we do not have a soft Brexit, you really do talk some shite you really do ......

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Yes yes that will happen no medicine for the UK if we do not have a soft Brexit, you really do talk some shite you really do ......

Do you work in or with Pharma? HT does and I did. Probably expert knowledge is an anathema to you as it seems to be to many. Instead of crying fake to this; why don’t you explain how this particular problem will or might be resolved? I suspect you won’t be able to but would be delighted if you can.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Assuming everything comes in house, and before we go any further, care to explain how a drug could get approved if the staff don’t exist in the UK? Do you think the staff can be recruited? I’m just popping some options out there. But this is perplexing to many in the industry, many with far greater brains and experience than us.

As an aside, my bet is 1)

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Assuming everything comes in house, and before we go any further, care to explain how a drug could get approved if the staff don’t exist in the UK? Do you think the staff can be recruited? I’m just popping some options out there. But this is purplexing to many in the industry, many with far greater brains and experience than us.

Brexit can never be soft in your psyche, so Brexit immediately discounts your first scenario leaving your last two conclusions that the likely outcomes will be 'medicines are delayed or not approved' or the UK' becomes the 'Wild West with medicines', both will not happen, its utterly ridiculous.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Brexit can never be soft in your psyche, so Brexit immediately discounts your first scenario leaving your last two conclusions that the likely outcomes will be 'medicines are delayed or not approved' or the UK' becomes the 'Wild West with medicines', both will not happen, its utterly ridiculous.

So, explain 'how a drug could get approved if the staff don’t exist in the UK'. In your excitement, I think you forgot to answer, and im curious.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

.......hence I bet 1). See post above. If you don’t think 1 is possible care to explain why. And my “psyche” has nothing to do with the options I posted...they’re more the thinking of people I’m surrounded with. But, if you feel there are other options I/we be interested to hear them. I’m genuinely interested to hear your thoughts, ideas and possible solutions on this....so let’s keep it clean.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Do you work in or with Pharma? HT does and I did. Probably expert knowledge is an anathema to you as it seems to be to many. Instead of crying fake to this; why don’t you explain how this particular problem will or might be resolved? I suspect you won’t be able to but would be delighted if you can.

What most likely to happen after Brexit then, ??

Pick one out of the three examples if you agree with HT.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
.......hence I bet 1). See post above. If you don’t think 1 is possible care to explain why. And my “psyche” has nothing to do with the options I posted...they’re more the thinking of people I’m surrounded with. But, if you feel there are other options I/we be interested to hear them. I’m genuinely interested to hear your thoughts, ideas and possible solutions on this....so let’s keep it clean.

Brexit is always going to be 'hard' in your psyche, clearly on this thread alone you havent stopped whining since the referendum, so it will never deliver your version of your preferred Brexit (soft), so immediately it discounts your example one, although it now seems you are backing this one and dismissing your other two absurd claims.

By all accounts you work in pharmaceuticals, good for you, but to somehow give yourself and your work colleagues some unique expertise that the UK government couldn't possibly muster is a prime example of your arrogance.

I dont work in pharmaceuticals but I bet supply will continue unhindered, UK being the 'Wild West of medicines', get over yourself.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Brexit is always going to be 'hard' in your psyche, clearly on this thread alone you havent stopped whining since the referendum, so it will never deliver your version of your preferred Brexit (soft), so immediately it discounts your example one, although it now seems you are backing this one and dismissing your other two absurd claims.

By all accounts you work in pharmaceuticals, good for you, but to somehow give yourself and your work colleagues some unique expertise that the UK government couldn't possibly muster is a prime example of your arrogance.

I dont work in pharmaceuticals but I bet supply will continue unhindered, UK being the 'Wild West of medicines', get over yourself.

You forgot again. How a drug could get approved if the staff don’t exist in the UK?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

What about new drugs? How do they get approved, and what will incentivise a company to trial a drug that has potential for only 700 users a year?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

So, to summarise, you don't know anything about what's being discussed, but you bet it will be all ok.

If you simply made this your footer, you could save yourself a lot of typing over the next few months.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The MHRA is the UK equivalent of the EMA. Once Brexit happens they will have to handle every single drug application, license as well as uphold law and monitor and manage which comes Britain’s way....or wants to come Britain’s way. We’re talking about a heavyily regulated industry here; and before some twit cries EU red-tape think about why this might be. The majority of this work is conducted by the EMA which allows the MHRA to concentrate on specific UK items. But even with specific items they still mandate some stuff to the EMA. There is absolutely no way the MHRA will be able to bring everything in-house and do it all from the UK; not a cat-in-hells chance. This is due to the sheer volume of work and the nature of the staff they’d need to obtain. As I see it there are three outcomes

there's another legitimate option you ignore, call it 1.5. MHRA cooperates with EMA, signing off EMA approved drugs are suitable for UK. you dont need to apply EU law to do this.

another point that MHRA wont have the staff to handle regulation seems overstated. its a larger organisation than EMA to begin, and neither are directly involved in trials and evaluations which occur out in the hospitals etc by drug companies and third parties. depending on where EMA moves to there may be an large number of staff from EMA who dont want to relocate (likely 30% staff by their own estimates).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here