Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So essentially, Brexit is brilliant for fishermen because they can catch all the fish they ever wanted. So what happens;

1. When the fish runs out?
2. When they can't then sell their fish into Europe because we left the Single Market?

What's the point of catching fish if you can't sell them?

Jan 30, 2008
It's a shame so many people choose to spend their spare time talking nonsense running the UK down ... it's like a disorder/condition. :facepalm:
they'll wonder what all the fuss was about , some people can't deal with change but like everything they'll get used to it , a bit like loosing the paper pounds, the shillings and the penny's the lbs and ounce :lolol:
regards
DR

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So essentially, Brexit is brilliant for fishermen because they can catch all the fish they ever wanted. So what happens;

2. When they can't then sell their fish into Europe because we left the Single Market?

About sums it up. ANother example of not thinking ahead.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Run a poll amongst all your fisherman chums and ask them if they blame the Common Fisheries Policy or the 3rd Cod War for the state of the industry.

They're not my chums - though drinking in Hastings Old Town for 25 years you do run into a few - but they're channel fishermen.

I was merely asking you if the 3rd cod war and it's aftermath on the North Sea and Scottish fleets of the 200 mile exclusion zone imposed by Iceland also contributed to the decimation of jobs in the fishing industry?

Jan 30, 2008

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/.../fish-farm-supplying-whole-foods-targets-international-...
https://articles.bplans.com/teaching-entrepreneurs-to-fish/
https://www.triplepundit.com/2015/11/entrepreneurs-sustainable-seafood/:shrug:
regards
DR

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Run a poll amongst all your fisherman chums and ask them if they blame the Common Fisheries Policy or the 3rd Cod War for the state of the industry.

I think it's pretty obvious that ManOfSussex is a bit more clued up on the fishing industry than you. I'd drop the subject if I were you. I'll give you a new subject: Why do Leave voters bother with this thread?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
... and the number of jobs lost while we were members of the EU ? (helpful hint it's in the tens of thousands)

Why are you avoiding the question?
You said, and I quote...

'Impressive that so many on here know the future tariffs re the fishing industry before we've even started negotiating our new trade relationship with the EU.... '

Im asking you what the current tariff is, but you seem reluctant to answer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For the forty-third time please see the IMMEDIATE impact of a VOTE to leave (fiscal year 2017-18)

That's close to meaningless though. We're still in limbo. Nobody knows what the future outside of the EU entails. Whilst companies can make money in the CURRENT conditions, they will continue to do so. Not many are going to spite themselves by baling out early.

If those figures hold up 2, 3, 5, 10 years after (if?) we ever actually leave, then well done all.

Holding such results up to illustrate the 'success of Brexit' is utterly moronic.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
They're not my chums - though drinking in Hastings Old Town for 25 years you do run into a few - but they're channel fishermen.

I was merely asking you if the 3rd cod war and it's aftermath on the North Sea and Scottish fleets of the 200 mile exclusion zone imposed by Iceland also contributed to the decimation of jobs in the fishing industry?

I bow to the more knowledgeable fishermen who seem to think the Common Fisheries Policy is the problem. Unless you know better?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That's close to meaningless though. We're still in limbo. Nobody knows what the future outside of the EU entails. Whilst companies can make money in the CURRENT conditions, they will continue to do so. Not many are going to spite themselves by baling out early.

If those figures hold up 2, 3, 5, 10 years after (if?) we ever actually leave, then well done all.

Holding such results up to illustrate the 'success of Brexit' is utterly moronic.

It's what they predicted. They knew there would be a two-year negotiation (limbo) period after triggering article 50.

Agree no one knows although numerous people on this thread often pretend they do.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I bow to the more knowledgeable fishermen who seem to think the Common Fisheries Policy is the problem. Unless you know better?

Is isn't the only the problem if you were one of the thousands of ex-fisherman from Aberdeen, Hull or Grimsby made redundant as a result of The 3rd Cod War. Still, 'Call Me Dave' eventually bunged them £1k each for what happened after The 3rd Cod War in a multi-million payout back in 2012, so better late than never on that one for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here