Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So you won't answer the question. Ok.

You asked, how do we negotiate without no deal, I said not all negotiations need to be played out with threats and as adversaries. That answers the question, whether you agree or don't like that answer is up to you, but don't say I didn't answer it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not helpful but the same way the Typing pools found other jobs or the engineers in heavy manufacturing found other jobs when they drained out of the country in the late 70's/80's under MT. There are jobs out there its finding the right one. Some firms however taking advantage of the situation as its easier to blame Brexit than their own failings

Changing and emerging technology is completely different to self-imposed economic suicide. For one it typically impacts other countries so you’re not disadvantaged relative to other nations. Shooting your self in the foot benefits your competitors. . And picking up on one of your examples , many engineers left the UK to find work. Remember the term brain-drain?

And you’re implying people should simply get over it and find another job. There’s two words for people like you, the first is insensitive.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You asked, how do we negotiate without no deal, I said not all negotiations need to be played out with threats and as adversaries. That answers the question
Then you misunderstood the question. I was asking how could we negotiate with them - ie, what would our negotiating position be - what is it that we can offer them to encourage them to give us a decent deal?

Simply saying it can be done is not an answer.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I see they have released May’s letter to Corbyn, written as if she hadn’t just lost a vote on her deal by a record margin. Her refusal to rule out no deal surely increases the chances of resignations and her losing the next vote of no confidence?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It's pretty simple. Remainers want "No Deal" off the table because if it's off the table then the only possible Brexit is with a deal, and they have a veto over any deals.

All they (and the EU) have to do then is refuse all deals ever offered and bingo. No "No Deal" + No to any deal = No Brexit.

It's their way of trying to block Brexit by default. But they refuse to be honest about that.

Nothing to do with the fact that a ‘no deal’ Brexit would be an absolute disaster for the country then? ???

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003
Yes, that's the main problem with a second referendum. If you just have a re-run of the first, you're heading for the same problem but if you include different out options (eg no deal, Norway option, May's deal), we could have the situation where Remain gets 35% but because the Out option splits each way, Remain wins.

That would cause far more problems than it solves.

Maybe Like this ? :whistle:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's pretty simple. Remainers want "No Deal" off the table because if it's off the table then the only possible Brexit is with a deal, and they have a veto over any deals.

All they (and the EU) have to do then is refuse all deals ever offered and bingo. No "No Deal" + No to any deal = No Brexit.

It's their way of trying to block Brexit by default. But they refuse to be honest about that.

Firstly Corbyn isn't a remainer much to the frustration of most of his party, so your logic doesn't work on that one.

Secondly, most of the remainers have demanded a 2nd referendum as well as no deal, which would seem pretty clear and honest to me as to what they want, wouldn't you say?

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not helpful but the same way the Typing pools found other jobs or the engineers in heavy manufacturing found other jobs when they drained out of the country in the late 70's/80's under MT. There are jobs out there its finding the right one. Some firms however taking advantage of the situation as its easier to blame Brexit than their own failings

As an aside. I know a number of Brits trying to make something of their lives who have been totally hamstrung by this. If you’re ever over here I invite you to stand in front of them and repeat your smug and insensitive post. In fact. I’ll pay for your flight and accommodation if you want. When do you want to come?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

You don't sound like you have much sympathy for those that are losing their jobs at Philips. There aren't too many major employers in that part of rural Suffolk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Then you misunderstood the question. I was asking how could we negotiate with them - ie, what would our negotiating position be - what is it that we can offer them to encourage them to give us a decent deal?

Simply saying it can be done is not an answer.

I always assumed our position as the 2nd biggest economy in Europe, the 5th largest in the world, trading with the 2nd biggest trading block in the world, would be suitable positions to start negotiating a deal that benefits each side that knows they will continue to trade, whatever the outcome, long into the future, without the idle threat of a no deal.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If you are a remainer (or the EU) and "No Deal" is off the table, why would you vote for or agree to any deals?

Because if you realise what No Deal actually means you wouldn't want it. It is not a choice, it's a bargaining chip for TM to get people to accept her deal.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Because if you realise what No Deal actually means you wouldn't want it. It is not a choice, it's a bargaining chip for TM to get people to accept her deal.

That is the argument for keeping No Deal on the table.

I am asking, with No Deal off the table, why then would you vote for a deal. You wouldn't want No Deal, but it's off the table. Can't happen. So why then agree to any deals?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Poor old Farage, the Eilte MEP with the worse attendance record in the EU parliament gets a hard time for taking a private jet when he takes a rare trip to Strasbourg

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1085541173840789504

Well when you consider all he's been through, its the least he deserves

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
As an aside. I know a number of Brits trying to make something of their lives who have been totally hamstrung by this. If you’re ever over here I invite you to stand in front of them and repeat your smug and insensitive post. In fact. I’ll pay for your flight and accommodation if you want. When do you want to come?

I have been having an exchange with a 'Leave' supporter on the same lines; he also breezily dismisses any job loss as a challenge in this 'long term project'. I wonder if they are safe from the threat of losing their jobs.... retired perhaps? They don't say.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Poor old Farage, the Eilte MEP with the worse attendance record in the EU parliament gets a hard time for taking a private jet when he takes a rare trip to Strasbourg

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1085541173840789504

Well when you consider all he's been through, its the least he deserves

He was questioned about who paid for it. He said he did, and then today he said a business man paid for it.

A good liar has to have a good memory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here